Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is London a sh*t hole?

(85 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 11-Feb-15 15:29:42

Following the Babyboomer thing I read a number of property/re-location threads on Mumsnet.

It seems to be common for London to be described as a shit-hole! Usually by those who haven't lived here, only visited.

Can this be true - is this how our capital city is perceived? shock

Galen Tue 07-Apr-15 22:23:33

Real rook poplin, for shirts you don't iron!

Marelli Wed 08-Apr-15 06:14:05

We lived in both Fulham and Chelsea (Kings Road, no less!) in 1970/71. I absolutely loved the buzz of it! Just thinking of it now brings the atmosphere right back to me. But I was 20 then, and tastes change as we get older. I couldn't stand the noise and busy-ness of London, now.

absent Wed 08-Apr-15 06:26:08

Isn't it interesting how many people love to visit London? Of course, it is full of wonderful historic places, fabulous museums and art galleries, world-class theatres and concert halls, delightful markets, top notch shops and other treasures, not to mention the mighty Thames. But it is sad that traffic clogs the streets, the pollution level is disgusting, casually discarded rubbish is rife, landmark areas such as Leicester Square are squalid and many other signs of degeneration, not to mention the cost of tubes journeys, taxis, theatre tickets, etc. I did love the London where I lived for decades but I have no desire to revisit it now.

Falconbird Wed 08-Apr-15 06:26:27

I love London and always have from the time I read about it in children's books when I was a kid.

I had a dream of living in one of those beautiful Victorian/Edwardian houses in a London Suburb. In the dream I plenty of money, a large family and was possibly a published author.

Ah well, that won't happen now. I did a quiz and it turned out that I was a natural London dweller.

DH and I used to travel regularly to Kew and Finsbury Park where my son lived for a few years and when the children were little we used to go Kensington at least once a year.

absent Wed 08-Apr-15 06:31:46

Falconbird I owned a Victorian house (actually two of them in sequence), I didn't have plenty of money but I certainly had enough, the family was small, although the extended family was huge, and I was a published author. It was a good life but I don't think it would be like that now – or, perhaps, I have changed too much to want it.

Falconbird Wed 08-Apr-15 07:07:52

I did own an Edwardian house and a Victorian house (not in London.)They were both beautiful houses, particularly the Edwardian one and a wonderful house to raise children in. I'm glad I don't own them now because the upkeep is astronomical.

Congratulations on being a published author - any chance of letting us know the title of your book/books?

I don't why London is getting a bad press on Msnet. The house prices are really high of course and beyond the means of most young couples but there are some charming areas to live in.

I only know Finsbury Park, Islington and Highgate, all lovely suburbs but very pricey. Dh and I once made a long journey by bus from Highgate to Kew. It took hours but we saw a lot of the non tourist parts of London and some were grim but the same can be said of any city.

EllenMay Sun 26-Apr-15 10:04:11

My DH and I moved to London from Lancashire three years ago when I retired from work and we have never regretted it. There is so much to see and do - it's like being on an extended holiday. Having DS already living here helps and we take advantage of free travel to get out and about. We have found most people to be friendly and approachable - our retirement here is an immediate talking point - and we love the diversity of London. There are bad points, of course, but isn't that the case with most towns and cities? We just keep listing everything we have done since moving here and consider ourselves to be very lucky.

Bellanonna Sun 26-Apr-15 11:23:34

I have lived in and visited oversas cities and none compares with london. I live in a southern suburb - less fashionable than the northern suburbs - but nonetheless quite pleasant. I get free train travel to London and beyond so am able to visit as often as I wish.

I can hear free concerts at St martins, take part in guided tours of all the major galleries - Tate, national, Wallace, V&A or just wander around at will. Courtaulds and dulwich are also within easy reach. Sometimes it's fun to watch pavement entertainers near the National gallery, or in Covent garden, visit and have a coffee in Borough Market, buy a London walks book and discover quiet and unknown corners of our capital. We have a wealth of diverse theatre on offer. though I admit these are expensive. I have enjoyed many walks along the Thames in both directions. Dodgy knees now mean more modified walks, but I still manage to get about.

You can avoid the usual tourist traps. I would never go to Oxford street, or queue up for the wheel. Been there done that in younger days. Of,course things change, London moves on like anywhere else, but the historical spots are still there to be enjoyed. I shall be mKing frequent trips to our lovely capital for as long as I can.

HildajennJ - I wonder if your uncle knew my aunt? We used to see Tower Bridge from her flat in Tooley Street back in the day, before it became somewhat gentrified. Amazing sight!

Pittcity Sun 26-Apr-15 11:27:34

Are you watching the London Marathon coverage? It shows many parts off the beaten tourist track.