Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Relationships - Are they worth it in the end

(59 Posts)
Parcs Mon 06-Apr-15 19:58:46

Lately I have felt that relationships with either children or OH/DH really are more trouble and bring more sadness than happiness.

After reading lots of posts on Gransnet I have found that there are many families in turmoil.

I know it is not a notion that one would think of, but I really do feel that sometimes we are better off on our own, peace, tranquillity, freedom to live your life your way and having not to please anyone Blissss

Mishap Wed 08-Apr-15 13:32:36

Not another social event in your area till October tegan!! - do you live on the moon!!!??? Get on out there gal and see what's around!!

J52 Wed 08-Apr-15 13:43:16

I think what I meant by 24/7 is that no matter where I was in the world if they needed me I would do all I could to help. Even if that I was only able to contact through Skype/ email. X

Tegan Wed 08-Apr-15 13:43:31

It's my racing club Mishap; my 'tribe'. We only meet up three times a year but it's where I belong and feel most at ease smile.

FlicketyB Wed 08-Apr-15 15:06:02

Tegan Why should your daughter truncating your call because of the children mean she is bored talking to you?

When DGC were tiny talking to DS and DDiL on the phone was almost impossible, we never rang at the right time, it was bath time, tea time DGS was throwing a tantrum the reasons for cutting calls to a bare minimum were legion. DH felt just like you.

Now both children are at school, play happily together and on their own we have long phone chats with both DS and DDiL and it is often DS who initiates the call. Our calls were truncated in the past because of just the reasons we were given. Two working parents and two small children occupies those involved 24/7 and time off at home for phone calls are almost impossible.

Tegan Wed 08-Apr-15 15:21:14

Because it happens every time I call; they're not all that young now and their dad is at home with them today anyway. I guess it was just compounded by the fact that they'd all been to the pub yesterday as well [the pub being five minutes drive away from my house].

Lona Wed 08-Apr-15 15:30:20

Tegan Look on the bright side, at least they all get on together, they could be at daggers drawn!
I'm thrilled when my ds and dd get together, it was miserable when they weren't speaking.

Tegan Wed 08-Apr-15 15:35:33

We do have phases of that as well grin [sigh]....

petra Thu 09-Apr-15 13:43:45

Ethel. You need to move to Southend.
These events are all on tonight (and more)
2 pubs hosting Open Mic.
Ambleside Jive ( learn to jive)
Rock & Roll dance class.
Ballroom Nights.
Beginners Tribal Belly Dance.