Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Really need help and advice

(33 Posts)
Littlepig66 Thu 30-Jul-15 11:29:15

Hello ladies,

I am having really bad problems with my mil and it's gotten to the point now where i dont know what to do apart from cut her off. I really dont want to do this or hurt my husband, but the situation is so tough.

I will try and explain the back ground as much as possible- please be blunt with me or give me whatever advice you can.

I have been with my husband for 11 years and married for 3, we are in our late 20's and so we've been together for most of our lives. The problems started when we were teenagers, the usual over bearing father of my husband not wanting us to get into a serious relationship, afraid of teenage pregnancy and in general just that im not good enough. Over the last 11 years there has been lots of snide remarks, passive aggressive comments and intentional humiliation aimed at me.....and ive never really had a conversation at all with this man. My husbands mother, i thought, we always had a good relationship, no close, not bosom buddies, surface deep but good. My husband isnt very close with his family, they dont discuss anything personal and his brother and sister dont even speak to me.

Over the 11 years ive tried my very best to make an effort to be included and to include them. I have always arranged thoughful gifts, lent a hand when needed etc, but it has gotten me nowhere.

Me and my husband moved away for work, to another country, i always made sure my huaband contacted his family because i knew if he didn't they would blame me, so the relationship we have had is maybe a phone call ever few months and maybe a visit once or twice a year if even. We got married in our home town as it was easier and less expensive for family.......the problems seem to have gotten worse from here......

I tried to include my mil in the planning of the wedding, initially she was interested and i hoped that we would bond, i askes my husbands sister to be bridesmaid but because she couldnt choose the dress ahe wanted she didnt want to be bridesmaid ( she is 20 something years old). Then there were problems because we wanted to keep it small and they wantes their neighbours to go! I gave in to please them, but now i know i shouldnt have. For us our wedding was amazing, but the next day my mil picked it all apart about what she didnt like etc and i was so hurt....

Following year i got pregnant, first grandchild and all that, everyone really excited etc. We knew there needed to be some boundaries as every week that went by we were getting messages of " i want this" etc and i felt suffocated.

She demanded that she stay in our home and with a new baby and recovering from c-sec i was in no mood to have house guests, but i let her come and it was the biggest mistake of my life. She demand my little baby from me, picked him up without asking, he needed to be fed and was crying and she turned away from me and wouldnt give him to me...... She has more or less continues in this manner and ita just getting more intense. Every time they arent happy with our decisions they kick off or if they dont get want the want they blame me. She recently sent my huaband a message to say that she didnt feel she was "important" enough and didnt have the "status" that she wants....i feel like pulling my hair out.

Before the baby was born i tries to be honest with her and tell her that she is a super mum because she raised my husband but that my baby is not hers and that she wouldnt be raising him or making any decisions about him- ( i know you are all probably cringing at this) she was furious to say the least and basically went on a backstabbing spree to all their close friends and family and now i just feel judged and i dont know what to do.

My husband nosied througg her ipad one day and saw a message from one of her friends about me calling me a bitch, a sad case and that id get what i deserve. She also said that my husband and my son are her priority.

I feel really uncomfortable because i know that this friend wont have beeb the only person she has spoken badly about me to, how can i let someone like this be in my childs life?

I havent even listed her worst offences, there are loads more along with the constant ignoring of our wishes and passive aggressive text mesaages.

I feel sick with worry and anxiety and its starting to affect me alot. I dont understand where the grand sense of entitlement comes from, or the fact they thinks they have rights to my child, they dont. I really wish the could just see us as a lovely bonus and enjoy how we involve them.

Im just desperate for advice and to know that this is obviously not normal behaviour. She has totally over romanticised everything in her head and ger expectations are the opposite of what we want, i mean we dont even have a close relationship! Im so overwhelmed. Any advixe would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is such a long post.....

Alea Tue 20-Oct-15 23:39:33

As all has gone quiet now, I sort of wonder if this and its sister correspondence was all a concerted action by "the other place" to wind up us Grannies confused??

Alea Tue 20-Oct-15 18:00:44

gringrin

Bellanonna Tue 20-Oct-15 17:50:45

Jeez don't get me going on Italian mammas

Alea Tue 20-Oct-15 17:27:26

My husband nosied througg her ipad one day and saw a message from one of her friends about me calling me a bitch, a sad case and that id get what i deserve. She also said that my husband and my son are her priority

I don't believe I am the M or MIL from hell, but I think reading somebody else's iPad (presumably emails or Messaging) is pretty low behaviour! It's like reading somebody else's mail or eavesdropping on a private conversation, and we all know the saying "eavesdroppers never hear good of themselves".
It is clear that OP will never like her PILs from the way she describes their behaviour, it is not advice she is asking for, but agreement that they are wrong and she is right.
Taken in conjunction with the other thread about the in-laws staying for a week I am frankly surprised they should want to . If her DH cannot behave like a mature and responsible adult and kowtows to his mother that is not necessarily being a "good son", it is being a weak partner. No wonder OP is so vitriolic, there are clearly serious issues here.
Would there be a cultural issue, perhaps? Italian mammas, Jewish mommas, some Asian parents all these seem to be able to rule their sons with a rod of iron!
We only know one side of this situation so it is hard to assess who is right and who is wrong, but I am seeing wrong on both sides.
I am also unhappy at the generalised MIL/DM bashing that these threads have generated. Whatever happened to respect and tolerance? sad

LullyDully Tue 20-Oct-15 12:57:02

I had a dreadful MIL. I put up with her for many years but she got worse and worse. She drank and used to say very spiteful things. When she did it in front of the kidsI snapped. DH always supported.me which made all the difference.
I just refused to see her. D H went with the boys but I stayed at home . She missed a fair few Christmas Days.

We eventually met 5 years later at a funeral nd she was very friendly. We never had problems again. Never lovy dovy but at least she had stopped bullying me.

Some women do have trouble with jealousy over DIL. I never interfere and steer an even course. It is not my business how sons live and bring up kids.

You may need to be proactive Little pig but need your partners support.....that is essential. Good luck

rosequartz Mon 19-Oct-15 19:54:39

You could send for the book, even if it doesn't apply to your situation it may give you some insight.

Littlepig66 Mon 19-Oct-15 19:13:39

I couldnt agree more Rosequartz, grandparents are and can be very special people in a persons life, mine certainly were.

rosequartz Mon 19-Oct-15 18:32:29

and this could help too:

www.amazon.co.uk/Toxic-In-Laws-Strategies-Protecting-Marriage/dp/0060507853
to give you a coping strategy, because imo it would be very sad for your DS never to see them any more.

rosequartz Mon 19-Oct-15 18:27:36

Here's the link to the other thread in the summer, if it helps littlepig66 smile

www.gransnet.com/forums/ask_a_gran/a1217759-Really-need-help-and-advice

Hope all goes well and keep smileing

Littlepig66 Mon 03-Aug-15 13:56:52

Thank you harrigran and sally345 for your kind words and advice. I think we will be keeping our distance and unfortunately when it comes to my son and future childrens lives they will be nothing more than distant relatives which is sad, but not my fault as the relationship is too toxic to continue in any other form. All trust is gone, and i wouldnt even know how to begin to trust them again, and as you have all said, this woman's mind is made up about me, if the last 10 years havent changed anything, i dont see it in the next 10!!

Again ladies thank you all for your advice, its been greatly appreciated.

sally345 Fri 31-Jul-15 18:50:54

I really do sympathies what a terrible situation. You can only do what feels right for you and know that whatever the outcome you did your best.

Much love and a big hug from me.

Take care and god blesssmile

harrigran Thu 30-Jul-15 23:29:50

Such a shame that this vindictive woman is spoiling the pleasure of your DS. Your MIL has no entitlement to a say in his upbringing and she should get down on her knees and thank you for your tolerance. As others have said I would distance myself from M and FIL and get on with your own life. Life is too short to suffer this kind of agro.

Littlepig66 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:41:47

Phoenix- that made me LOL!!

I really do appreciate all your comments ladies, i mean some of the stuff that has happened has just been so absurd, i wouldnt wven be surprised if people thought i was joking.

I am just a normal albeit young mother and wife and while i appreciate ive still a lot to learn, id like to do it on my own terms and learn from my own mistakes. I havent had the easiest of lives and im quite mature and independent, but i am able to ask for help etc when i know i need it and want it.

I always try my best to be kind and respectful of others and if anything this has taught me about the kind of mil i dont want to be, because if im lucky one day i will be and i will have the confidence to know that i raised my son well enough to know that if he needs me he knows im there, and ill respect his space and privacy as an adult and i will just beem with pride that he and whoever is his wife have created their own family. I dont have any right to anything in their life or a say, their children wont be mine. I will just be happy to know that he's happy and included in whatever way they want.

Anne58 Thu 30-Jul-15 19:46:25

* she told me that some of her friends had given her gifts for my son, i asked her who, so that i could write them a thank you card for the gift and her response was "it doesnt matter, i know who they are"*

With regard to this, perhaps you could put an announcement in the local paper along the lines of " to all those who were kind enough to give a gift for baby [name] via bitches name MIL name, thank you so much, I would love to thank you all personally, however psycho mil/bitch Name, has for some reason not been able to tell me who the gifts were from"

Plants the seed that she is either A) Showing signs of senility and/or dementia, or B) That she is a thoroughly nasty piece of work!

Luckygirl Thu 30-Jul-15 18:53:04

Steer clear! - life is too short for this nonsense.

Littlepig66 Thu 30-Jul-15 18:40:41

Thanks for all your feedback ladies, i will take it all on board.
It has been nice to get everything of my chest and to just jave recognition that this isnt normal behaviour and that im right in how i feel.
Luckygirl, i once tried to stand up for myself to my father in law, he screwed his face up in disgust and told me how dare i speak to him like that in his own house.....all the while he comes into my house ans tells me i cant put my newbor. To bed until he has had a "go" with him. That was the last time i have ever attempted to do such a thing.

Keeping our distance seems to be the solution and holding ground with our boundaries etc. All the bad stuff they say about me or all the grief they give us i will try to let it go over my head, but it is difficult.

I mean as an example of how every week there seems to be something, she told me that some of her friends had given her gifts for my son, i asked her who, so that i could write them a thank you card for the gift and her response was "it doesnt matter, i know who they are", its situations like this that leave me dumbfounded!

loopylou Thu 30-Jul-15 17:55:14

I had a MIL from hell, so can truly sympathise- even when I was nursing her 24/7 when she was dying I had incessant criticism and snide remarks- she even introduced me to her GP as the 'cheapest help sent by the agency' angry

After 30+ years of her I did just let it go over my head but it wasn't easy. Nothing I did or said was going to change the fact that I married her dearly beloved eldest son - and it was compounded by my sister marrying her youngest son!

Luckygirl Thu 30-Jul-15 17:31:53

Just as an aside. My SIL had to stand up to his father the other week over an outrageous incident involving one of the GC. This is the first time he has ever stood up to him, and the results have all been positive.

Anne58 Thu 30-Jul-15 17:09:06

Many years ago I knew a woman who was like this, but her son and his wife managed to sort of resolve the situation.

They emigrated and didn't tell her.

Eloethan Thu 30-Jul-15 15:59:39

I think you need to explain to your husband that the whole situation is making you feel ill and very anxious. This can't be good for you, him or your baby and I think your husband needs to be much firmer with his mother. If she is unwilling to respect you and your home and insists on interfering, I think he needs to explain to her that she will no longer be welcome in your house. This may be difficult for him, since he has no doubt been intimidated by his mother from childhood and still feels awkward confronting her, but it really must be done if it is not to damage your own little family's wellbeing.

Normally I would say to try, to some extent, to accommodate awkward behaviour from in-laws but I think in this case it sounds very like bullying - and if bullies are accommodated they become even more emboldened and demanding.

petra Thu 30-Jul-15 15:29:58

Nobody needs or wants toxic people in their lives. No if's, buts, or what if: get rid of.

sunseeker Thu 30-Jul-15 14:53:26

No matter what you do it will be wrong in this woman's eyes - so do what you and your DH want. If they invite themselves and its not convenient just say so - it won't make any difference to what she says about you anyway.

I appreciate your DH doesn't want to upset his mother but he does need to have a quiet chat with her and explain that the way she treats you is causing him pain but that if she is trying to make him choose, you and your child will always come first.

Littlepig66 Thu 30-Jul-15 14:40:34

Elena- leave at her arse means she doesnt pick up after herself, towels left on floor, glasses everywhere, lights left on, rubbish left in spare room when they leave etc

Soontobe- they live a plane journey away....and somehow feel that thwy can just invite themselves when they want- if we say its no good, and that it doesnt suit us.....all hell breaks loose and of course it must be me who keeps them away, its not the fact that we work loads and have the baby now too.

Luckygirl- i really appreciate your advice, i am really going to try to not let it affect me so much

soontobe Thu 30-Jul-15 13:36:23

How far away do they live?

elena Thu 30-Jul-15 13:24:12

Some bits of this I don't understand ('she just leaves everything at her arse'????) but the gist is clear - and I don't see any dilemma at all. The behaviour of these in-laws is more than sufficient to justify a clear break. It need not be permanent, of course, if they come to their senses.