Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Practical issues

(53 Posts)
NanKate Sun 30-Aug-15 20:56:24

I have just read on another thread how one Gransnetter is struggling to cope with the recent death of her DH. I am sure I would be very similar.

I felt it was inappropriate for me to ask the following question on that thread so have started a fresh one here.

Can anyone suggest a book or website that gives comprehensive on what to do practically when a partner dies ? I mean from who you have to inform, to how to deal with all the weekly paperwork, bills etc that now need to be looked after by the remaining partner.

Anya Fri 18-Sep-15 09:05:24

I've had no problem with utility services either, even though we live in a different town, over 100 miles away and have different surnames. As mentioned before only the TV Licensing was unhelpful so, as I've closed my sister's bank account, they can suffer the consequences of their actions.

NanKate Fri 18-Sep-15 10:14:42

That's interesting Ana and I am glad it went smoothly for you. We don't pay any of them by Direct Debit at present but I suspect if I was on my own I would set them up as I couldn't be doing with writing cheques all the time, which is what we do at present.

Of course with all these plans I am making they could be for nothing if I go first. However I have to report I am feeling pretty chipper at present smile