Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

what's trending for 7 yr old girls?

(65 Posts)
lizzi50 Mon 19-Oct-15 09:08:34

She's into all things feminine such as jewellery, nail polish and has lots of do-it-yourself kits. That doesn't mean to say she wouldn't enjoy something similar if it was a variation and trending at school.

rosesarered Mon 19-Oct-15 16:51:47

My DGS refuses to give me a go on his Nerf Gun( which we keep here) so one sunny afternoon I had a high old time in the garden with it( high hedges!)Oh what fun, and turns out I am a real hot shot!grin

rosesarered Mon 19-Oct-15 16:53:00

With the smaller DGC, don't know who enjoys making play Do pancakes and ice creams more ,them or me.

M0nica Mon 19-Oct-15 17:07:11

I have an 8 year old grand daughter, I do not know what is trending, but always work on the basis of buying her something that seems a bit grown up. For Christmas she is getting black jeggings with a glitter stripe up the side, a long sleeved white T shirt with a slightly glittery pattern on the front and a black fake fur gilet, and probably some black ankle boots with a bit of bling. Entirely appropriate for a girl of her age but with that hint of sophistication.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 17:25:29

Dgs2 has an archery set from Decathlon. I love having a go with that. So tempted to buy myself one. But he might give me his soon. (He's gone onto the real thing)

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 19-Oct-15 18:32:33

I know I will get blasted for saying this, but I have never bought any kind of weapon for a child. I did have them a a child (got 2 brothers), but just feel it's wrong to let children play with toy versions of something that can maim or kill. Same goes for shoot em up or violent role play video games.

rosequartz Mon 19-Oct-15 18:40:39

And I never know what is 'trendy' either for the DC, DGC or me

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 18:49:34

Nerf guns are just good fun! Harmless too. Probably more harmless that me doing my version of a SWAT policeman - arms outstretch in front, both hands clasping gun, waving it from side to side. Oh, I love doing that!

rosequartz Mon 19-Oct-15 19:56:56

I always thought you were scary! Now I know grin
(ducks for cover, gets out taser)

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 19-Oct-15 22:14:15

Found the list! Guinness Book of Records, minions and glo sticks grin

Luckygirl Mon 19-Oct-15 22:27:54

My DGS accidentally hurt a friend after shooting her in the eye with a nerf gun. He didn't mean it but was just a bit close.

The whole nerf gun thing is a bit of a con, as there are so many different options to buy to try and keep parents buying. Like Cindy, and Sylvanian and all the other stuff.

joannapiano Mon 19-Oct-15 22:32:13

Our DGD aged 7, wants a large stuffed Kevin from Minions for Christmas.
She is very enthusiastic about science at school, at the moment.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 19-Oct-15 22:34:34

jing guns like nerf guns have been around since Ghostbusters was first released and yes, they are great fun. But harmless I am not sure about. Using something first in a way that's fun is how to get a child interested. A gun is a gun and I say that as someone who's played paint ball and laser quest - both brilliant fun and very addictive. But even toy guns encourage aggressive behaviour and there's so much choice these days, so I steered away from buying toy weapons. I suspect we'll disagree and I will probably be called too PC, but that's how I feel nowadays about this subject.

My Dad never knew what to buy my brother's children, so he used to ask my SiL what they were hoping to get for birthdays and Christmas. It helped her avoid problems like getting two of something or unwanted presents the children would still have to say thank for to grandparents - even if they weren't! grin

rosesarered Mon 19-Oct-15 22:44:16

Nerf guns are harmless they shoot bits of foam, unless you got hit in the eye from a couple of feet away, but that can happen with almost any toy, thrown or hurled around.I can't see that they are a 'con' at all, why ?Very few toys are actually cons, it's up to the buyers to make sure a toy is suitable for a child.there have always been crazes for toys, think of our own childhood, when every child had a hoolahoop etc.
Our DGS is into archery now, and is amazingly good, he will soon be going to visit Galen for some tips.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 23:01:14

....sniff!.....sob..... why does rq think I'm scary? sad I'm a nice girl.... howl.....

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 23:02:42

Btw I don't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks about Nerf guns. My two little warriors love 'em. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 23:03:48

Good post rrrr.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 23:05:06

Was that too any r's? On mini iPad and it's a bit small.

Ana Mon 19-Oct-15 23:08:18

It does seem to come naturally to little boys though, doesn't it? My two DGDs have never shown the slightest interest in guns or pretend fighting, yet they aren't particularly 'girly'. They like riding their bikes and doing gymnastics, amongst a lot of other things.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 23:11:35

I think, when I was little, I would have liked shooting at a target with a Nerf gun. would not have wanted to fight though. Skill comes into it with girls. grin

Elrel Mon 19-Oct-15 23:33:00

Nerf guns - GSs have a whole armoury of them it seems. I usually end up with pockets full of ammunition I've gleaned all over the house and garden!

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 19-Oct-15 23:52:05

I'm not looking for an argument, just saying how I feel. But I wasn't sure exactly what nerf guns were so Googled them to check. What I found out in just a few moments did not change my mind one bit. The foam can be removed and the guns 'modded' (altered) to simulate AK47s and other real weapons. Tutorials are easily found online. Users literally have arsenals on their walls. There's loads of YouTube videos on nerf guns that make me glad I don't live in the USA. Each to their own.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 20-Oct-15 09:18:32

Flip me! Did you stay up to nearly midnight googling that?!

this is actually starting to be insulting now. Think about it. And not in a narrow minded way.

rosesarered Tue 20-Oct-15 09:44:00

This is getting silly, Nerf guns are bright blue and orange plastic guns in all shapes and sizes that shoot bits of foam, small tubes, a long way.Target shooting is a popular sport and is also a skill, we are a long way from the USA in every way regarding guns.Now, if you are a person who bans any 'weapon' or what looks like a weapon, bows and arrows, guns of any kind, then that is up to you ( boys will use sticks instead of plastic swords) it's just what boys do, though girls would enjoy Nerf guns too ( I do !)
These are not replica guns,or even like the plastic wild west guns.However, each to their own.

gillybob Tue 20-Oct-15 09:48:13

My three love nerf. The girls have bow and arrow types and very good at it they are too. DGS has a few different ones. I can't see the problem. As others have said they shoot pieces of foam. The girls have ones that " shoot" secret messages to each other.

Bellanonna Tue 20-Oct-15 09:50:17

Izzi did say her daughter/dgd was into all things feminine........