Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Etiquette for receiving birthday card for child

(19 Posts)
Nelliemoser Sun 29-Nov-15 19:27:51

I really don't think that thanking people for birthday cards is essential but just mention it if you are on the phone or as these days Email or Facebook.

Bellanonna Sun 29-Nov-15 19:05:34

Thanks Elegran tchsmile

Indinana Sun 29-Nov-15 18:39:56

And my git is driving me spare tchgrin

Elegran Sun 29-Nov-15 18:38:36

No, it is tch before the usual emoticon (but [tchroastchicken] doesn't give a Christmas turkey sad )

tchangry does give an christmas angry face tchangry
and tchsad gives a Christmas sad one tchsad

ninathenana Sun 29-Nov-15 18:23:58

Is it tbh for Santa hats ?

I have a git going spare.

Bellanonna Sun 29-Nov-15 18:15:40

Where do you get the Santa emoticons ???

rosesarered Sun 29-Nov-15 18:01:42

I have one in mind already......

Ana Sun 29-Nov-15 17:57:16

And after Christmas we could have a 'Git Swap'...tchgrin

rosesarered Sun 29-Nov-15 17:55:14

Shall we start an online petition? No Gits For Christmas ! tchgrin

ninathenana Sun 29-Nov-15 17:34:59

grin grin
I don't expect or receive a thankyou for any cards I send. Unless as in the case of my great nephew there is a cheque in it angry he's only just 3 but I usually have to ask his nannie the next time I speak to her whether or not he received it.

etheltbags1 Sun 29-Nov-15 17:34:26

Hope nobody sends me a git!

Bellanonna Sun 29-Nov-15 17:30:06

I wouldn't thank someone for a birthday card unless I was in email/ phone contact anyway and then would always mention it. However , I don't think it's necessary to pick up a 'phone to say thank you. Gifts on the other hand should always be acknowledged.

Crafting Sun 29-Nov-15 17:26:50

Not if they send you a git though jings grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 29-Nov-15 17:01:51

I think it's nice to ring a person and thank them for a birthday card. And have a little chat.

Ana Sun 29-Nov-15 17:01:46

I wouldn't thank anyone for sending me a git either, Elegran! grin

Elegran Sun 29-Nov-15 16:54:23

I can understand her waiting until she visits to bring a gift, though. She gets to see him opening it, and thank her in person.

Perhapos she has noticed that sending gits doesn't get a thankyou, so she has become a bit persistent about cards too?

aggie Sun 29-Nov-15 16:48:43

I make my cards and have to wait for them to be old enough to lisp thankyou when I ring them to wish them happy Birthday . Before that I never hear a thing , the presents are duly acknowledged with a hand scribbled version of a card . The oldest are now old enough to write me a thankyou and decorate it with their art work . I don't think cards get thankyous unless they are something very special ?

Alea Sun 29-Nov-15 16:48:06

I think expecting a thank you for a card is a bit much!! However, if talking to the sender, it is only polite to say thank you for the lovely/funny/etc card. They aren't cheap and the good wishes do come from the heart.

YonkersImplant62 Sun 29-Nov-15 16:38:00

My sister harasses me to find out if my grandson received his birthday card she also makes a point to mention that my son and daughter-in-law need to mind their manners and call her and thank her for the card mind you, she didn't send my grandson a gift. She waits until she's visiting from another state 3 months later to bring the gift. And then proceeded to tell me that my son should have thanked her for the birthday card. In my opinion when you send a card it's because you want to not because you're expecting someone to acknowledge it what is the etiquette on this?