Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you worry about climate change?

(153 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 12-Dec-15 17:55:10

'World awaits landmark climate deal' according to the BBC website.

For the past few days in Paris there has been an important Climate Change conference taking place and apparently the world is holding its breath as to the outcome; BBC Radio has led with news from the conference throughout.

I have to come clean and say that it passes me by .... no doubt I would feel differently if I lived in Bangladesh or The Maldives but I must admit that I lose no sleep over climate change.

Tell the truth, is it something that keeps you awake at night?

JessM Sat 19-Dec-15 07:38:39

Lots of ideas have been put forward. Going from something that works in a lab to something that works on a global scale is not easy. And anything that big might have risks or unintended consequences and/or huge costs. Getting international agreement and co-operation would also be an issue. There is also no obvious incentive for a particular country to launch into it because none of the technologies would have a useful local effect. There would have to be some strong international push-pull factor to get projects underway - combined with international agreement that the method is safe.

Elegran Sat 19-Dec-15 09:34:30

When electricity was in the early stages, the same factors applied. It is now universal.