Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Devestated Both Adult Children + only grandchild Going to Live Abroad

(81 Posts)
trueblue22 Mon 21-Dec-15 12:17:12

I'm 63, based in Brighton & my children live in London.

My daughter has just told me she, her DH and GS are moving to Canada near to her in-laws. My single son (28) has just told me he's thinking of moving to South America. They both think London is overpriced, over populated and not a good place to bring up a family.

I'm happy for them to move on in their lives and find the best lifestyle for them. But I'm devestated for me. I have a DH and a comfortable home, but what's the point unless you've got family near you.

My only sister has mental health issues. She divorced after 34 years and caused me and her family a lot of problems because of her labile mental hcondition. I've tried contacting her, but she doesn't respond and just sends me cards to signify birthdays etc. No one- not even her adult chlldren- know where she lives. Probably somewhere near London.

Most of my friends are bound up with their families & grandchildren,who live near them. I work PT, have hobbles & friends I can rely on, but I just feel so abandoned. It's a time in my life where I want to see my grandchildren & family more. What happens when we're much older and the children are half way across the world?

I very rarely feel sorry for myself, but this situation just makes me feel so sad for what might have been.

petra Sat 10-Feb-24 18:44:27

I think the op might have sorted things out by now. This op posted in Dec 2015

BlueBelle Sat 10-Feb-24 18:55:44

Oh gosh who resurrected this I never noticed the date how do they get on these old ones even a couple of months old and I cant get on it as it has moooooved

Maggiemaybe Sat 10-Feb-24 20:13:07

I think it may be because GNHQ has suddenly started promoting threads on Facebook (and possibly elsewhere) that are years old. I can’t imagine why. It can be a bit upsetting to find yourself reading a post written by a Gransnetter you know to have passed away a long time ago.

Maggiemaybe Sat 10-Feb-24 20:15:05

If it happened on Mumsnet a message would come up to say that this is a very old thread, why not start a new one? Yet another facility we don’t have.

Cath9 Sat 10-Feb-24 20:26:19

What’s happened here as I have only noticed this article was posted 9.years ago