Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help urgently needed

(64 Posts)
Granarchist Mon 04-Jan-16 14:12:06

Wedding approaching early April. Youngest DD's. I need an outfit that will not disgrace her. I am 5'4" - at least 2 stone overweight and hate - truly hate shopping (I tend to cry). As I have said before, I don't want 'mother of the bride' tattooed on my forehead but do have to match up to elegant, tall mother of the groom. Must have sleeves - at least enough to cover bingo wings. There will be dancing. I have looked at Coast online but nothing sings to me. Cant wear high heels due to knee replacement and arthritic feet - gosh I sound attractive. I want to be comfortable in all senses of the word and to do the children proud.

Realgranddad Sun 07-Feb-16 11:21:07

Are there too many subjects on the Fourim pages that are no no's for granddaddy like me. Many could be combined to get rid of genderism. Let's have a "Bee in my bonnet ", instead so we can occasionally let off steam on issues of the day, instead of comments on perfume for instance.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 07-Feb-16 11:30:05

Realgranddad there's an awful lot more grannies than granddads on here, so maybe you could start a thread or two? One of the things I like about GN is I can discussion 'women's things' here.

There's plenty of discussion on current affairs and often these threads are the longer ones as they get very heated.

'Bee in my bonnet' sounds like a good idea to me, although if there's a lot of replies about a particular 'bee', some posters might prefer a separate thread.

Why not give it a try and see how it goes? smile

NanaandGrampy Sun 07-Feb-16 11:30:06

Realgrandad you're going to get lost in a post on wedding outfits - why not start a fresh thread and see what feedback you get?

Realgranddad Sun 07-Feb-16 11:34:37

I am utterly confused by the number of Forums, which should I use to discuss key headlines such as those relating to the behavior and greed of AgeUK Enterprises Ltd.? I would love the site to be renamed Grandparentsnet, so there is no longer a gender oriented impression, perhaps such views are not welcome from those lovely individuals who worked so hard to make the organization such a success. I just feel it would carry even more influence in society if it was seen to cater for grandparents and not just Gran's.

Elegran Sun 07-Feb-16 11:39:29

Realgrandad I don't think you can have conversations "instead of" other conversations, because some people do want to talk about perfumes and so on. The different threads are grouped under different topics, so it is possible to find things that are more interest to you.

If you click on "forums", up at the top left, you get a list of the topics, and clicking on one of those gets a list of the threads under that topic - so you can avoid the perfume and fashion stuff.

I think a "Bee in my bonnet" thread would be very good and very popular. You should start one.

Elegran Sun 07-Feb-16 11:44:53

I think the site is so well established under its own name that it woukld take a lot of work and PR stuff to change it now, and cost a liot of money too. Actually, Gran is in Grandad as well as Granny, and Grandparents is a longer and less catchy name, so I am not sure it would be as successful.

There used to be a Grandad's Shed section, or a name like that. What happened to that? Has it fallen into disrepair? It needs a grandad who is willing to fix it.

There are several grandads who post on here, you would probably get replies from them if you started a conversation on a "male" subject.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 07-Feb-16 11:52:52

Realgrandad if it was me, I'd post about AgeUK Enterprises Ltd in the 'Other subjects' forum or in this forum ('Ask a Gran'). Depends on whether you're just telling us about something or want to ask a question. smile

Luckygirl Sun 07-Feb-16 12:00:59

Try Ann Balon - an Italian make: www.annbalon.com/

They also have lots on ebay. They are quite floaty and good for the fuller figure.

I had one for my DD's wedding - it was a trouser suit with a comfortable floaty top.

Good luck!

Luckygirl Sun 07-Feb-16 12:02:07

PS - I am quite tall, but the mother of the groom also had an Ann Balion outfit and she is very short and plump - she looked great!

Jalima Sun 07-Feb-16 12:19:32

Now why didn't I find that site before two of the DC's weddings!!

Granny23 Sun 07-Feb-16 12:39:42

There you are Real Grandad - a thread called Bee in Your Bonnet - all set up for you.

Elegran Sun 07-Feb-16 12:46:05

If you can't find it, it is here - www.gransnet.com/forums/grandads_shed/1223217-Bee-in-your-Bonnet

morethan2 Sun 07-Feb-16 13:37:54

I could have written this post a few years back. Except I was mother of the groom. My DiL mother is tall and elegant. she's lovely though. I'm short and misshaped. I had a outfit made for me. It's easier now than it was then as I've noticed lots of tailoring outfitters run by newly arrived immigrants are opening. It may be worth your while popping in and asking them to make you somthing or asking if they would alter an outfit that you buy off the peg. My husband did this recently with a evening suit and had a very professional job done. So much so he had to force the tailor to except more money because he felt he was undercharging. My suit didn't make me look tall and elegant but everyone said it looked lovely and suited me. That's all I wanted really. Most importantly of all though is to wear a big proud smile and enjoy.