Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Colour Blind or just no sense of style?

(29 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Fri 12-Feb-16 13:41:25

Once the decorations come down and the first weeks of January are out of the way I always get the urge to change things. DH has been lucky that I have kept him over the years especially when we're talking about decorating. smile

I look at a room and get an idea of colour and can 'see' the room in my mind's eye, but I can explain it to my DH till I'm blue in the face and he just can't 'see' it.

Today we went out for colour charts and some wallpaper samples.

When I'm talking blue, he's thinking green. I thought aqua he picked up silver !! He just doesn't get the subtleties of colour-lilac is not purple beige is not caramel or mocha.

Am I alone here ? Do you all have DH or partners who can be allowed to choose soft furnishings on their own? Would you tell your DH your colour scheme and then let him choose the actual paint without you?

maryEJB Sat 13-Feb-16 18:56:37

My husband is quite good at choosing colours for decorating - he usually wins and then I concede he was right. But he has an odd colour sense when describing colours of clothes, He has a grey shirt which he says is green, and green trousers which he thinks are brown.

Maggiemaybe Sat 13-Feb-16 19:26:37

I scored 41 on the colour test, which confirms what I know - I have trouble distinguishing many shades, but particularly the greens and blues. My dad was colour-blind, so I'll blame him smile DH would score much better - he has to advise me.

annifrance Sun 14-Feb-16 15:10:49

Never ever would dream of letting OH to choose colours or fabrics. Choose them, let him think he has some say in it, then get on with it.