Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Memory foam mattresses

(65 Posts)
Av1dreader Thu 25-Feb-16 20:58:26

I am thinking of getting a memory foam mattress, would be grateful for some advice. Do they help the aches and pains and apart from the expense are there any drawbacks.

Greyduster Fri 26-Feb-16 18:40:52

With our unbearable mattress, we did try before we bought. We spent a week in a holiday cottage sleeping on one which had only been put in there that season, and agreed it was the most comfortable we'd ever experienced. We noted the details off the label and ordered the same mattress.

Izabella Fri 26-Feb-16 18:47:00

If you are menopausal and have flashes DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE. I cannot afford to change ours and have to sleep on a cool pad plus a cool pillow pack to keep cool in bed. No more than a sheet and window open plus heating off. Surprised OH is still here!!

grannyqueenie Fri 26-Feb-16 19:27:25

espee I bet your young friends are enjoying the wrap round effect that espee mentions. I'm definitely too old for memory foam grin

gulligranny Fri 26-Feb-16 19:55:47

We've had our Tempur mattress for 5 years and we love it - it has really helped my arthritic knees as it sort of cradles them rather than resisting them, if you see what I mean. We both sleep very well, but interestingly not so well when we are on a roll-around or dip-in-the-middle mattress.

rosesarered Fri 26-Feb-16 20:14:53

Love, love love the memory foam mattress topper!?

rosesarered Fri 26-Feb-16 20:19:03

Used to have a full mattress, that didn't work out, but the topper is wonderful, bliss for backs.

nannypiano Sat 27-Feb-16 09:33:49

I have got a mattress topper and it is lovely with none of the complaints like the above. I even take it when I go touring in my caravan. One of my best purchases ever. It's only about 2 inches thick, but heaven to sleep on.

Juggernaut Sat 27-Feb-16 09:39:17

We bought a Tempur mattress and loved it during winter months, but summer was unbearable, far too hot!
We eventually gave it away to a charity shop (it was still as good as new) and bought a hand made mattress with 2500 pocketed springs. It's very firm and has a summer side with cotton just under the cover and a winter side with cashmere, so it's warm or cool to sleep on. We do have to get DS to help DH turn it though, it's very heavy!
The only 'problem' if it can be called that is that the mattress is very deep, 11", and getting fitted sheets of that depth can be a bit difficult.

Carolynswalsh Sat 27-Feb-16 09:52:20

Was thinking about starting a new topic about mattresses but pipped at the post!in our case we had an extremely comfortable mattress for about 20 years it finally expired last year,we bought a top of the range one to see us out.After a few months it developed a hump down the middle upon referring to the literature it says this can happen but to turn it regularly,ok if you are a weight lifter,and to sleep on the hump if needs be!If we had been told that at the point of sale we wouldn't have bought it,you shouldn't have to run in your new mattress.
We have the manufacturer coming to see us but whatever the outcome it has to go,it is doing dreadful things to my back.

inishowen Sat 27-Feb-16 10:03:04

We have one in our spare room. I tried it one night and hated it. I found it hard to turn over because I was in a sort of groove. However when my daughter stays she loves it and says it's like sleeping on a cloud. I would not recommend it though.

Greyduster Sat 27-Feb-16 11:07:20

Good luck with the manufacturer, Carolynswalsh. We had Dunlopillo out to ours twice and they insisted they could find no problem with it. They recommended a pure cotton mattress cover (which we were using anyway) and a lighter duvet or blankets! They even said don't wear synthetic fabrics in bed (at that time I didn't wear anything in bed but I wasn't about to tell them that!). Our current mattress, which is three years old, has developed body indentations - it is like sleeping in a shallow grave! What I can't understand is why, when he is two stone heavier than me, DH's shallow grave is shallower than mine! confused

Welshwife Sat 27-Feb-16 11:09:10

We have a normal sprung mattress - fairly firm - and a memory foam topper - which is a not too thick piece of foam and a good soft padded over layer - they fit together and stay put - the top padded layer you can remove and put in the washing machine. We find that combination very comfy and I have found my back aches less. I can see that the memory foam mattresses could be too soft - I find my daughters one a bit difficult to get 'out' of !

Chrishappy Sat 27-Feb-16 11:13:12

Best mattress I've ever had is a 2500 pocket sprung natural fibre one. It's reversible and has only natural fillings its deep, supportive and doesn't overheat your body got it from Alan ward, its the best I've ever had

Charleygirl Sat 27-Feb-16 11:53:15

I originally bought a memory foam topper and liked it so much that I replaced my mattress with a memory foam one. I did not intend to keep the topper but decided to because the memory foam mattress was not as deep as my previous one. I love them both as described previously.

queenMab99 Sat 27-Feb-16 14:17:10

I have a memory foam topper covered with a natura lwool filled mattress cover I have found this to be very comfortable, I have inflammatory arthritis and was having problems with hips, shoulders and knees aching in bed, much easier to sleep now.

Victoria08 Sat 27-Feb-16 14:39:13

I. Bought a memory foam mattress topper few months ago.
Unfortunately, it gave of a strong chemical smell when I unwrapped it.
I persevered as the instruction leaflet stated that the smell would disappear in time. It has almost gone, but not quite.

One of the drawbacks I find is the fact that the sheets keep slipping of and won't stay in place.

The topper itself is comfortable and I don't find it too hot at present. Might be different come the summer.

Has anyone had that chemical smell from a new mattress topper. Would be very interested to know.

Libbysmum Sat 27-Feb-16 14:45:33

We have a built-in foam topper on a conventional mattress. It's like sleeping on cotton wool, heavenly for aching joints. Cosy at this time of year but it maybe too hot for warm weather. A mattress topper would be best option as it could be removed if it proved too warm to sleep well.
This mattress has given us the best nights sleep ever but we haven't used it in warm or hot weather yet.

GranJan60 Sat 27-Feb-16 15:22:35

Not for me. Although I am a cold person I found it hot and sweaty - better to get a mattress topper I think.

starbird Sat 27-Feb-16 15:38:55

For those who find turning in bed difficult you can buy sheets that are half satin (so that you can slide) and half cotton (at the bottom to grip your feet/legs) which are used by professionals eg in nursing homes and for people with arthritis or parkinsons etc, or you can buy a thing called a snozzle which is like a pillowcase but open both ends, that is slippery to put under your bum - i bought one for my sister and she takes it whenever she goes to stay with people as well as at home, she can't turn over without it. Probably wearing silk or satin nightwear with a silk or satin bottom sheet would do the job too.

Av1dreader Sat 27-Feb-16 16:25:54

I think to start with I will try a mattress topper, then if too hot I will look for something else. Thank you for replying, your comments have been very helpfull.

Charleygirl Sat 27-Feb-16 16:58:24

Victoria08 I was advised not use my mattress and also my topper for several days because of the chemical smell. Luckily I was able to put the mattress in another room because the smell was too much when it was on the landing.

adaunas Sat 27-Feb-16 18:28:47

We bought a Silent Night memory foam mattress and love it. No more rolling together in the night and no disturbance no matter how often either of us gets up in the night. We have a cotton quilted mattress cover on top so rotating isn't a problem and means we aren't too hot. We turn the covers back every morning to air the bed and it soon warms up at night.

chrissyh Sat 27-Feb-16 18:58:16

We have just bought a mattress, not memory foam, from Dreams. They have a "Comfort Exchange" which allows you, before 40 nights have lapsed from delivery of the mattress, to get a replacement if you don't find it comfortable. We went for the TheraPur Tranquility mattress and definitely won't be sending it back. Perhaps other bed companies do the same.

Irenelily Sat 27-Feb-16 20:05:03

We have 3 Coolmax memory foam toppers. They are on top of sprung mattresses. Very comfortable. The Coolmax covers keep them cool. I turn them head to foot about once a month. The slight smell went in half a day before I put them on the beds. In contrast, I have slept on a memory foam mattress at my daughter's and do not like it at all as my body seems to sink into it and it feels uncomfortable.

flakesofjam Sat 27-Feb-16 20:05:40

We have tried them but agree re sinking into them & the heat they seem to generate.
Currently saving up for the kind of bed they use in Premier Inns. Has anyone got one ?