Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Memory foam mattresses

(65 Posts)
Av1dreader Thu 25-Feb-16 20:58:26

I am thinking of getting a memory foam mattress, would be grateful for some advice. Do they help the aches and pains and apart from the expense are there any drawbacks.

Thebeeb Sat 27-Feb-16 22:36:27

We have memory pillows.

Don't like them at all and have developed a pain in the neck (and no it's not DH).

Nannanoo Sat 27-Feb-16 23:17:31

I bought a cheapo foam mattress from Argos for my spare bedroom, and it is the most comfortable thing ever. It's light, cool and surprisingly firm. I have had so much less pain from my arthritis, and have decided to use it on my bed instead of my usual mattress . Previously I was using a spring mattress with a memory foam topper, which I found a bit hot and as others have said, rather difficult to move on.
I suppose we're all different, but for £120 I am very pleased with my present bedding!

Carolynswalsh Sun 28-Feb-16 01:33:46

Yes flakesofjam that's what we've got and that is the problem.Weve always had a very comfortable night there.Pehaps it's not the same one,ours was top of the range.Cant imagine Premier Inns having to run in their mattresses,can't imagine visitors putting up with a hump down the middle!
Query aftercare when you buy it,We are sleeping in the spare room at the moment.

Nansypansy Sun 28-Feb-16 07:48:56

I have a memory foam topper which is a perfect compromise. I sleep on a pure memory mattress at my daughters and don't like that as there is no 'bounce'. I must admit it's a bit too warm in the summer but apart from that, it is soooooo comfy! I've tried the memory foam pillows but hated them - only feather for me!

bigburd Sun 28-Feb-16 08:59:16

I had listened to family and friends being mostly negative about them, too hot, too clingy, too lumpy,however suffering acute back pain (33 years as a nurse) I thought I would try one and I personally am in the yes camp. I love the feeling of comfort it gives and the best bit I can get out of bed with no twinging back!!!!!

KnittyNannie Sun 28-Feb-16 15:06:31

We've had a memory foam mattress for some years, and I can't wait to change it. It's so heavy to lift when putting a clean sheet on, and is certainly no more comfortable than our "ordinary" mattress.

pompa Sun 28-Feb-16 17:26:06

We added a 50mm memory foam topper to our pocket sprung mattress when I was suffering from bursitis on my hip. Wouldn't be without it now. We even bought a 25mm one to take when we travel.

Candelle Sun 28-Feb-16 17:44:18

We are spending the weekend (two nights) babysitting in DD1's house and she has a Tempur memory foam mattress. Afraid I have no idea of which one of their range it is but we found it very comfortable*. Our normal mattress is a no-turn pocket sprung, which is also good but if I were changing again I would give memory foam good consideration.

*Unfortunately the Tempur mattress seems no better at stopping small people from leaping around at 6.15am!

hicaz46 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:47:26

Have only used one on holiday but it was extremely hot and once on the mattress it was like wallowing in mud and really hard to turn over on it.

Michael100 Mon 29-Feb-16 07:03:43

It really depends on your personal preferences - to you get up a lot at night? Then probably foam won't be the best solution, as it makes you sink in. Do you like it in medium firmness? Then latex with foam topper will do. Are you a stomach sleeper? Then firmer is better. In a nutshell - try to sleep on foam at least once, as people's reviews tend to be versatile (in generally, most do like foam memory mattress, but it has its own specifications). Maybe a latex with a foam topper?
I think that a foam topper might be a great solution for those who don't generally like memory foam mattresses for whatever reason. Toppers are good because they can be replaced, removed, they provide a different feel to the mattress. Also, if the mattress is too firm, a soft natural topper (from natural fur, for example) can make a huge difference. It's not just a workaround solution, in my opinion, it's also a quality item to add to your bed (and think if you have guests, for instance, who hate firm mattresses, this could also be a solution).
At the time, long time ago when I was going through my vast mattress research, I used whymattress website which provides not only major mattresses and topper categories, but also special subcategories such as: what type of sleeper you are (side sleeper or stomach sleeper, for example), what mattress is recommended for highly weighted people (yes, I hate that subject, but there is no escape from that, we must consider our weight), and other different parameters. For stomach sleepers, for examples, a firm topper could solve the problem of mattress being too soft, as it is generally recommended a firmer mattress for stomach sleepers. So, here it is, hope the link won't be banned, it's really useful whymattress.com/

Nansypansy Mon 29-Feb-16 07:30:58

Just to add to the pros and cons - my memory foam mattress topper is beautifully enclosed in a washable zipped cover and then extends down to fit over the original mattress. I wash this a couple of times a year but to get it off and on is very much a two handed job and it's still very difficult to do as it's an extremely snug fit which makes you think it's shrunk.

pompa Mon 29-Feb-16 08:05:23

Just to Micheal's excellent comments. We have a firm mattress pus a 50mm topper. This gives us a level surface to support our backs, but the topper eases the pressure on hips etc.

Newquay Sat 05-Mar-16 07:28:32

DH and I bought a pocket Spring mattress with memory foam top a few years ago. Brilliant, no more rolling together sad and foam topper is SO comfy. We turn it from time to time and it's been fine. We were relieved as it was not cheap.
When we go away, we always ask to have a duvet on top of mattress under bottom sheet which helps with arthritic joints esp since hip replacement.

Indinana Sat 05-Mar-16 08:23:15

I have a pocket sprung mattress with built in 3" memory foam top. When it was new it did feel as though I was trying to 'roll uphill' if I wanted to turn over. But it settled in after a few months, with regular rotating, and it is very comfortable. I have had it now for 10 years and it has kept its shape, no dents or humps, and no 'soft spots'.

I never find it too hot, except perhaps in the summer. But the comfort outweighs the heat - I just have a window open and a fan going all night.