Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Toddler's poo talk!

(31 Posts)
NanSue Fri 26-Feb-16 13:55:18

My 2 year old DGD has an amazing vocabulary and chats away all day long. However over the last few months she has been driving us all mad with her constant poo talk and it's getting worse, e.g. Me: "what shall we have for lunch today?" Her: "poo". Every question and even statements are met with the word poo, poo poo or poo head. We've tried everything from totally ignoring it (not easy to do in a crowded cafe or shop) to stern telling' off and time out. Nothing is working. I know this is only a phase but have others encountered this and if so how do you cope with it?
She does have an older brother who is 8 and I'm pretty sure he has been the instigator of this. We have told him in no uncertain terms to be careful what he says but the damage has been done.

morethan2 Fri 26-Feb-16 14:03:50

I've no real answer but I have my four year old here who has been in fits of laughter because Siri ( the iPad one) kept showing pictures of poo rather than Poe of the teletubbies. Children love anything to do with poo!

grannylyn65 Fri 26-Feb-16 14:33:47

I'm afraid that this may last sometime, my dgc is obsessed with anything toilet wise despite, several efforts to stop it! Personally I just ignore it!!

Synonymous Fri 26-Feb-16 14:38:15

Nansue You just have to ignore it and if she has asked for poo for lunch just say ok and carry on. Give her whatever you think and when she questions it say that is what it is - and lets face it at the end of the day it is! Just accept whatever she says and do what ever you think appropriate if she is still giving silly answers. Don't get cross or show any interest whatsoever as you want her to get the idea she is boring and you aren't shocked. It could be just be something she heard which tickled her funny bone and she loves the reactions she gets by using it.

It is of course possible that it was big brother and also possible that there is a fair bit of jealousy going on there in which case he probably needs big hugs from Nansue as it is tough learning to share everything with younger siblings.

My DMIL told me that DH's older brother did the same to DH and the first time DH came out with the F word he was on the bus with his mum and asked in a very loud voice, "What does F mean Mummy?" It was in the late 1940s and as you can imagine she was mortified. Big brother had learnt it at school and knew it was bad and was trying to get little brother into trouble. It never changed and even to this day DH's brother, now nearly eighty, is jealous and displays all that goes with that. sad

BBbevan Fri 26-Feb-16 14:40:48

My DGD favourite joke when about 3,and which she asked nearly everyone was 'What's brown and sticky?' ( answer. A stick) She just loved it if anyone got close to saying poo.
It' s a phase. There will be plenty of others

Andyf Fri 26-Feb-16 14:58:34

Ah, thank goodness, it must be normal! My GS age 3 is exactly the same, his little sister has become Baby Poo. We're trying to ignore it but it's difficult sometimes "Insy Winsy Spider climbing up the poo'.

NanSue Fri 26-Feb-16 15:30:53

I have to say it's quite a relief to know others have experienced the same. It's just sooooo embarrassing in public! blush

harrigran Fri 26-Feb-16 16:00:17

We went through the phase of everybody being called poo heads, just ignored them.

Jayh Fri 26-Feb-16 16:11:26

Both my 4 year old granddaughters love to say poo, poops,pump etc and we adults pretend to be very shocked which makes them laugh. We do have a rule that there is no 'toilet talk ' at the table. It's a phase and they are playing at being naughty.

LullyDully Fri 26-Feb-16 17:19:18

They never grow out of poo talk in my experience. The 10 year old loves to talk about poo much to the amusement of the 9 year old and the 2 year old. My son's were the same. Just grin and bear it.

Luckygirl Fri 26-Feb-16 17:35:56

They all do it - just ignore it. Another little tip is not to invite the response - for instance just give her her meal and don't ask her what she wants - because you know what she will say! Best to limit questions and choices for the moment.

Thingmajig Fri 26-Feb-16 18:21:07

Our 2 year old DGD doesn't have many words yet although she does understand everything that's said to her. However, since grandad made a (dog) poo with her brown playdoh she wants them made all the time and in every colour ... sign language style in that she holds her wee nose! I gave him (grandad) a good smack and we try now to make only snakes and worms!!!
Such funny wee things, aren't they? ?

NanSue Fri 26-Feb-16 18:44:20

Playdoh, pastry, all food, most of her toys and humans, pretty much everything is poo. It really is excessive. We haven't be very consistent with our reactions but will do my utmost to ignore it with an air of boredom.

BBbevan Fri 26-Feb-16 19:40:29

Just wait 'til they get on to fart.! That goes on forever too. We once had a little boy at school who loved to make farting noises with his armpit at inappropriate moments. His class teacher got so exasperated that one day she made him do it all day. When he'd stopped, from exhaustion, she made him carry on. He did not do it the next day.
Probably found something equally annoying to do!

etheltbags1 Fri 26-Feb-16 19:47:46

My DGD has just been given a book about the sheep who kept farting and she thinks this is really funny. She also overheard me asking someone if they had piles and now asks everyone if they have piles. It will pass, I just try to teach her something different, today I taught her some new songs hopefully will take her mind off piles and farts.

Luckygirl Fri 26-Feb-16 19:50:51

Noisy Bottoms - an Usborne book that children love!

Nelliemoser Sat 27-Feb-16 00:13:45

My supposedly grown up 30 + son and his professional and well educated friends started a, find a song film or book to describe a poo, thread on Face Book. They never really grow up.

inishowen Sat 27-Feb-16 10:12:47

I ignore it when my GD aged four says it. Hubby is terrible, he joins in, thinking of places where poo might be. i.e. in his hat. GD loves it, and screams with delight at the idea.

lizzypopbottle Sat 27-Feb-16 16:06:43

Excellent book: The Story of the Little Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Business! The mole pops his head out of his hole and splat! something falls on his head. His eyesight is not so good so he doesn't see who committed the crime. He sets about finding the culprit by asking each of the farm animals if they did it. They deny it and prove it by demonstrating how they do it compared to what's on the moles head. He finally finds the guilty party and pays him back in kind. Children love the book. I used to read it regularly to my class of Y1/Y2. Embrace it. Think how many of us have learned to be ashamed and embarrassed by our need to poo. We suffer for it but it's a natural process.

mrsmopp Sat 27-Feb-16 17:57:18

Perfectly normal. Most kids go through that phase. They are bound to take an interest in bodily functions, especially if they get a shocked reaction.

kittylester Sun 28-Feb-16 08:43:52

I was just going to mention the Mole book lizzy - our dgc have all loved it.

NanaandGrampy Sun 28-Feb-16 09:17:34

Lizzypopbottle we love that book too ! All our 4 latched onto the poo thing from about 3 ( less so our granddaughter but the boys ....!!! They love books that talk about bodily functions like Pirates Pete's Potty and the Alien in Underwear .

I only had daughters, so little boys were a mystery to me but they love poo, farting and bottoms. And dont even get me started on talking about their winkies !!

We just laugh and in quiet moments we talk about what is outside language and what is at home language . the same as indoor voices and outdoor voices smile .

Someone did say boys never grown out of this fascinating topic of conversation - look at cards for men in shops grin

Judthepud2 Sun 28-Feb-16 09:20:30

Of course it is normal! Pretty well all kids go through this phase. They find anything to do with bodily functions hilarious! DGS1 party trick at present is making fart noises with his hand and underarm!

I draw the line at the f and c words though! Ex SIL idiot is a bit free with them in front of the children, especially with reference to their mummy angry

middleagedmenopausalmum Sun 13-Mar-16 13:50:53

When ours were little we used to spend a week in a caravan every year on a campsite and it was a kind of game when we got there who the first person would be to say "poo pipe" LOL

Just laugh with her, she might be doing it for a reaction and if you just laugh it off, she'll soon get fed up.

Myself, I'd be tempted to go one better and say, "do you want bogeys with your poo lunch?" just to make her laugh smile

NanaandGrampy Sun 13-Mar-16 13:58:21

Men never seems to grow out of finding poo and fart funny.

This is my recent card for my brother commissioned by his 23 yr old daughter....I rest my case!!