Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fatigue/ Tiredness

(91 Posts)
Opelessgran15 Sun 28-Feb-16 11:42:55

Is it normal to get very tired at the age of 62/63? My OH says that I don't realise how much I do in a day, and I do wake up refreshed every day as I sleep very well really.I do have severe arthritis in both knees , but have pretty much been able to manage that up until recently. I had a superficial bladder cancer in October, and I have seen enough of cancers to know that fatigue is one of the signs, and I guess that is at the back of my mind, although I feel very well apart from the tiredness/fatigue. I feel fine most of the day, but 4 or 5pm onwards I seem to feel shattered?I suppose I am asking is this normal as one gets past late fifties? I am quite an active person, but get frustrated that I can't do as many things as I once did, even this time last year?I am pretty much retired, and have one grandson who I look after one day a week, but don't feel any more tired after having him than other days( mainly!)

annsixty Mon 29-Feb-16 12:12:57

You are very lucky with your GP Emily.

Squaredancer Mon 29-Feb-16 12:35:48

Keep active, just a bit each day, and get checked out with your GP. Good luck.

lizzypopbottle Mon 29-Feb-16 12:48:49

If you get checked for thyroid function, ask your GP where on the scale of 'normal' you are if the result comes back as in the normal range. If you are borderline low, your GP may consider a low starter dose of levothyroxine (especially if there's a family history) and it might just make all the difference. In her 50s my mother managed to get up and eat breakfast before needing a nap and her GP just told her she was borderline normal. A different GP said that what's borderline for one may be low for another and she prescribed medication. My mum's energy levels were restored and she lost weight significantly too. My sister's and I are all on levothyroxine.

Jenny32 Mon 29-Feb-16 13:45:45

I am 83 and have AF,I take 7.5 mg of Bisoprolol and 62.5 Digoxin,
I am absolutely worn out,anyone else on these drugs ?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Feb-16 13:53:36

I think 62/63 is a bit young to be feeling your age. Any chance you could have a bit of depression? Sunds like you have had, and have, quite a lot to put up with. Def speak to your doc. He may be able to help. flowers

inishowen Mon 29-Feb-16 13:54:28

You should go to your GP for a check up. I was feeling very tired and dizzy a few years ago. It turned out I was very low on B12. I have been having jabs ever since. I can feel when I'm due one, and feel better when I've had it.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Feb-16 13:54:42

Sorry jenny. Didn't mean to ignore you there. Can't help you with that. flowers

Hattiehelga Mon 29-Feb-16 16:29:05

I will be 77 in four weeks and do get tired more easily nowadays. I dare not sit down in the daytime because I know I will nod off !! I do have Diabetes 2 but it is managed and I honestly believe that my biggest problem is being 77 physically but 37 mentally !!

Midge Mon 29-Feb-16 16:39:50

After being tired for a month I have decided I have got post viral syndrome . I looked it up on the Internet and everything fitted. Have you had anything like a cold recently? I am normally fit and well and it hits hard.

Bellanonna Mon 29-Feb-16 17:39:00

You are lucky with your GP Emily. Mine insists on my ringing in and im just told "fine" by the receptionist. I think I will follow advice and book a follow-up to discuss next time. I have to buy my Vit D too.

grannylyn65 Mon 29-Feb-16 17:42:51

Me too inishowen, but am terrible at keeping track!!

Synonymous Mon 29-Feb-16 18:21:54

I think we all need to keep on top of our own health and it is certainly easier now that we can chat on places like this forum and also do our own research. Two heads are much better than one and there is clearly a wealth of experience on here. smile

Bellanonna Mon 29-Feb-16 18:28:04

So right Synonymous smile

gardenermum Mon 29-Feb-16 18:42:42

I second asking about B12 levels. Deficiency increases among the elderly, and is insidious in its effects, but fatigue is very noticeable.

suzieq Mon 29-Feb-16 19:10:52

Jenny32 with my limited knowledge, I would expect that it's the AF which is causing your fatigue because the heart is working so ineffectively. I went into permanent AF very unusually before I was 50. I felt dreadful, was on a number is drugs and couldn't work full time. DH took over all housework.
By incredibly happy fortune, a consultant I was referred to knew a surgeon in Middlesbro who'd just been taught a new technique to cure it. It was the minimally invasive MAZE, which does work best on people who haven't had AF for very long. He agreed to operate on me and I've not had AF since (12 years).
Another technique is pulmonary vein ablation, which is now quite a common operation.
Has anyone ever suggested a procedure rather than drugs? It might be worth asking the question.

suzieq Mon 29-Feb-16 19:17:39

To feel really tired, just follow this Duracell bunny youngernextyear.com/
I borrowed the original book from the library and have now got a copy of the women's version plus the Thinner Next Year book.

When Chris Crowley retired (from Wall St), he asked his new doctor how he could stay well as long as possible. The outcome was a book with Chris telling you what to do in alternate chapters and the doc giving the scientific reasons why in the others. It all sounds so sensible, if I could only get up and get going.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Feb-16 19:26:36

Oh no, Pleeease!! Not another one banging on about effing exercise. We don't need to be super human! hmm

I hate sodding self help books.

JanT8 Mon 29-Feb-16 21:24:17

Several years ago, when the children were quite young, I also went through a period of total exhaustion. Had survived glandular fever when they were both even younger, which was an absolute nightmare! (Think husband working away Monday to Friday and no other family support!).

Eventually went through some horrendous checks, only to find that I was deficient in B12, couldn't be treated with oral meds as my gut was destroying the vitamin. Hence I had an intensive course of injections for a week, and from then on I've had a B12 injection every 12 weeks; I 'm mostly brilliant at remembering as it is down on the calendar, but if I do over-run, I certainly know to it!
Put this together with my being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 6 years ago, and yes ! at 69 years old, there are days when I feel absolutely c . . p! I have 2 grand-children after school and sleeping over at least twice a week (Mum's work commitments).
But we only have one life! How we choose to live it is up to us as individuals. I choose to 'go for it' and if I feel k . . . . . . . d so be it! At least I know I'm alive!!! And I'm part of today!!

Neversaydie Mon 29-Feb-16 23:27:24

Definitely get your thyroid checked .Was diagnosed 12 years ago after extreme weariness .
I am 65 and can't say I get desperately tired that often But I have been retired for 5 years and do not have grandchildren to look after
I do try and pace myself. If I know I will be particularly busy one day I will have a quiet day the next.Do chores in the morning and have cured myself of feeling guilty reading in the afternoons .I try not to nap as I don't sleep very well .
I am a bit weary at present but that is the result of stress, as there are a lot of challenging things going on in my life .A day with a friend usually helps!

Neversaydie Mon 29-Feb-16 23:34:42

Ps DD in her twenties has B12 injections -knows when they are due as her energy levels drop. Apparently deficiency is very common in older people

italiangirl Wed 30-Mar-16 09:10:51

I'm using Jamie,Olivers recipies from his book superfoods for last 3months feel more,energetic some really good idea s for busy people.

wot Wed 30-Mar-16 09:59:21

I'm just looking at Jamie's book on Amazon. Is it going to worth a tenner, do you reckon? If it gives me energy it will be!

rosesarered Wed 30-Mar-16 10:14:48

For anyone else feeling too tired for their age, yes get your thyroid checked out.
I mentioned this to my GP before Christmas, and she looked at last years results ( they do a bloods test annually) and said it looked ok.I went back a few weeks ago and asked for another test anyway, they agreed , and it came back as borderline low as another poster was saying.So a low dose of tablets and another check in six weeks to see if they have made a difference.If not, they will 'up' the strength of the tablets.So everybody should not only have a bloood test for this, but actually ask the GP how they measure on the scale, borderline, and medication may help you enormously.I do have a busy ( retired) life but should not feel as tired as I do.

Nonnie Wed 30-Mar-16 10:34:04

I don't have a thyroid gland now so am another one who suggests you get it checked but be warned, what is 'normal' may not be normal for you. I am on a lot lower dose than people who still have the gland.

I would strongly advise everyone to check with their pharmacist before taking St John's Wort as it can be dangerous in conjunction with other meds.

DH has been on many pain killers which have been added over the years and we recently talked him into dropping them a bit at a time until he is only now taking one. As a result he feels a lot better in himself so maybe anyone on lots of meds could try this after consulting with their doc?

I cannot be the only one who had polio as a child and have recently been advised that I may have Post Polio Syndrome and need to pace myself. Useful link www.britishpolio.org.uk/polio-and-post-polio-syndrome/post-polio-syndrome/

Louizalass Wed 30-Mar-16 14:22:54

I'm nearly 67 and still working 37 hrs a week - am knackered by afternoon! In fact, come to think of it, I feel knackered most of the time! Have to keep working as we have a mortgage which won't be paid for another 18months. We also have two children both of whom live half-way round the world (Oz & America) so we need funds for travelling to see them.

I have thyroid problems but on medication - recently the dose was increased but no little effect. Rheumatoid arthritis doesn't help either.

Husband had a heart attack a little over 12 months ago but since having stents in (twice) he's like a spring lamb. I, however, am still recovering from the trauma of his attack!

A jolly good holiday is what I need - the only ones we get are visits to Oz and the States but it takes nearly the length of time we're there to get over the flights before we have to return.

Ah, well - at least I'm still breathing in and out!