Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fatigue/ Tiredness

(91 Posts)
Opelessgran15 Sun 28-Feb-16 11:42:55

Is it normal to get very tired at the age of 62/63? My OH says that I don't realise how much I do in a day, and I do wake up refreshed every day as I sleep very well really.I do have severe arthritis in both knees , but have pretty much been able to manage that up until recently. I had a superficial bladder cancer in October, and I have seen enough of cancers to know that fatigue is one of the signs, and I guess that is at the back of my mind, although I feel very well apart from the tiredness/fatigue. I feel fine most of the day, but 4 or 5pm onwards I seem to feel shattered?I suppose I am asking is this normal as one gets past late fifties? I am quite an active person, but get frustrated that I can't do as many things as I once did, even this time last year?I am pretty much retired, and have one grandson who I look after one day a week, but don't feel any more tired after having him than other days( mainly!)

grandMattie Fri 01-Apr-16 16:02:02

I think it is being post menopausal. My energy levels sank to rock bottom once I was off HRT and into full-blown menopause...
I don't sleep well and am exhausted when I have the family to stay - it is partly emotional as I have to tread on eggshells with DD.
DH and I take Vit. D and B12 every day. Vit D as the sun radiation isn't high enough in UK, and B12 because the gut's bacteria don't work as well in "old age" as they did in youth. We are both physically well, but tired. I think it comes with the territory. BTW I'm 68.

annodomini Fri 01-Apr-16 16:53:16

I've just had a blood test which revealed an iron deficiency - I don't think I have been sufficiently attentive to my diet recently - which could explain why I have felt so washed out for the last month or so.GP has given me six weeks of iron tablets.

Penstemmon Fri 01-Apr-16 17:28:31

As a result of this thread I bought some Vit D tablets today. Will let you know if I feel less tired and achey in a week or so!

Nelliemoser Fri 01-Apr-16 17:49:20

I am now 68. I tend to wake early as my back starts complaining by about 6am so I have to get out of bed and move about.

What is wrong with taking a short afternoon nap? It seems to have been something not many posters have suggested. Are we thinking that having an early afternoon nap is just what "old people" do and we don't want to be thought of as old? I think that an early afternoon energy drop is part of most peoples natural body clock activity pattern.

Perhaps we should just accept that our stamina is not what it was thirty years ago and just give in to having a cat nap and a rest after lunch so we can function better later on.

Gracesgran Fri 01-Apr-16 18:40:37

Have been to the doctors today to get the update on my last blood test - she has upped the Levothyroxine but I managed to talk about Vitamin D and B12. It appears from what she said that our mum's (and some GNs) knew a thing or two when they gave us Cod Liver Oil as it helps with the gross lack of Vit D available. Worth a try although you may want to check if you are on other medication. It could help with general tiredness. B12 is iron and folic acid helps too but some people have problems with iron so worth checking. GrandMattie seems to have got it sorted but I thought it was worth "reporting back".

chicken Sat 02-Apr-16 19:16:29

Reading all this about thyroid troubles reminds me that I read some really good info. from an American doctor . The thyroid needs iodine and here in GB most diets are deficient in iodine. It used to be found in flour and salt, but they've now replaced it in flour manufacturing with bromine, and of course salt levels are being cut in lots of foodstuffs, The only really good iodine -rich foods are prawns and lobster which are both too expensive for everyday, so this chap recommended taking kelp tablets. I was feeling tired all the time, so gave it a go---kelp tablets from Holland and Barrett---and it's made a huge difference. I'm almost 80 and still working seven days a week at a pretty physical job, so I'll keep taking the kelp!

Opelessgran15 Mon 04-Apr-16 12:39:06

Goodness , thanks to all who have taken an interest and replied to my original post. I had to cancel my original GP appt, and was getting a bit blasé thinking it was probably normal to feel tired, but have now rebooked it! I think jingllbellfrocks may be right, the pain and limitations that comes from my knee arthritis is depressing, though I didn't consider myself 'depressed', but down about it certainly, and pain is tiring. I also remembered my mum often being told she looked young for her age, but she said ' it's not entirely fair, I don't have any pain, and pain ages you' . Not cheering, but wise I feel! I have lost a third of my one eyebrow interestingly as someone mentioned about thyroid problems, so am going to ask my GP to test for that. I had a big bleed when my cancer made itself known, and although blood tests at the time didn't show anaemia, I have been so in the past. Thanks again to all, GP appt booked for next week, the earliest I could get in, will let you know results!

Opelessgran15 Mon 04-Apr-16 12:42:19

PS.Older children's emotions and angst tend to be exhausting I have decided- grandchildren seem to be so simple. Hungry, cry, tired, cry, poorly, cry. Mind you, only very little yet!

Opelessgran15 Thu 26-May-16 10:36:42

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original post about fatigue and tiredness. I saw my doctor , who listened and reassured me. I had a thyroid test 6 months ago at the time of my bladder op, and it was fine. It seems the pain from the arthritis in my knees could be a big contributor to making me feel tired, and not realising how much I do in the day! I feel much more relaxed about feeling tired now( does that make sense?), if I feel exhausted its often because I have been into town and walked around a lot, fatal to my knees, yet I play badminton (I try and play tactically rather than run round like a fool) and don't feel so tired as when I have been shopping!(Mainly I think because I play with a group of 'girls' older than me , and we have a really good laugh). I take a nap in the day when I feel the need, and can, and keep more of an eye on how much I do in the day, and stop when I have had enough. I think everyone has different energy levels, right from when we are born, Gransnet has helped me to see that. thanks all, you are brilliant!!

thatbags Thu 26-May-16 11:12:21

I'm glad you have found more of a balance, opeless. I find it does make a big difference not pushing oneself through certain signs or limits. I have done a few house and garden tasks this morning but now I know I have to conserve energy for parent/teacher meetings at Minibags's school this afternoon.

thatbags Thu 26-May-16 11:13:26

That sounds so pathetic to my former self!

Opelessgran15 Thu 26-May-16 11:23:12

No it doesn't thatbags,I have decided life is all about adjusting and muddling through!

Stansgran Thu 26-May-16 13:00:52

I was told that the Australian aborigines believe they are born with only so much energy so they conserve it consciously. I make a point of doing that. I will not waste energy. I plan my day

TerriBull Thu 26-May-16 16:42:53

Reading through the thread with interest, I'm always tired, having decided that I have put up feeling awful for so long now I went to see my doctor yesterday with the intention of asking for HRT. However, she asked me to put this on hold as recent blood test revealed that I should take vitamin D. In addition my last reading suggested I might need to up my thyroxine intake and lastly I have too much iron, having been tested for a lack of iron which I know can result in tiredness, I now see from googling too much iron, this also can be a cause for fatigue. I now remember that my father had something called Haemochromotosis, whereby he had to have a pint of blood taken away every so often because of a build up of iron, my doctor has suggested I be tested for this as it tends to be genetic.

jenpax Tue 21-Jun-16 18:02:25

I am in my early 50's work full time in a stressful job and co/mainly! Parent my eldest 6yr old DGS my youngest daughter (his mother) lives with me and has type 1 diabetes which she struggles to control. Result I do all house work and shopping cooking as well as 90% of child care I also try to get involved as much as I can with my other daughters DD's! Two 4 year olds and a 2 year old although they live 3 hours away! Result one exhausted grandparent! In fact I feel more tired than I did when my own 3 were little sad