Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Bluebell Sightings: Ashridge in Hertfordshire

(38 Posts)
Candelle Mon 11-Apr-16 14:32:45

Hello Gransnetters

I love to see bluebells each spring - it really cheers me up. My family and I go to visit the Ashridge estate in Hertfordshire (around the Bridgewater Memorial) but that is a 45 minute drive away and I am wonderng if any local GNers could advise if the bluebells are out yet at Ashridge and we should get the car out...... or not!

Perhaps other GNers could post reports of good bluebell displays near them, too, as they develop, so we could all enjoy local displays?

Daisyanswerdo Thu 14-Apr-16 16:29:01

Spanish bluebells are 'bully-boys', as tanith said earlier. They flourish in all sorts of conditions, will hybridise with our native species and could take over completely. They are so different and it would be such a loss. I pulled up all the Spanish bluebells in my garden, because I believe they are a threat.

Tizliz Fri 15-Apr-16 15:07:54

Ashridge

here is a news article about the charges

pompa Fri 15-Apr-16 16:04:55

There were hundreds on bluebells in my garden yesterday sad - today only the white ones left smile. They are mostly English bluebells, but they are still thugs and take over the borders. The white ones don't seem to spread and stay in clumps.

Candelle Mon 18-Apr-16 14:00:06

Many thanks Tizliz for the information regarding proposed charging at Ashridge.

I don't agree with this spiel from the NT - I see visitors parking neatly along the side of the long drive to the monument and certainly no chaos as they indicate.

There will always be a few small children walking through the flowers themselves (and I am sure the flowers will recover for future years) but 99.9% of visitors keep to the paths and there is always such a lovely atmosphere (well, perhaps apart from having sharpened elbows at the ready in order to secure a cafe table!)- the bluebells seem to cheer everyone up.

As to the NT not taking credit cards - can you imagine the traffic chaos this will cause as families suddenly have to find money where they expected none.

We are all urged to exercise in the fresh air but then the NT put forward a plan such as this which could deter many young families from visiting.

I know this is only for a couple of weekends but who knows where it will end - future permanent charging? Shame on the NT for proposing a charge.

Liz46 Mon 18-Apr-16 14:17:34

We walked through Eastham Woods yesterday. They are in Wirral next to The Mersey and opposite Liverpool John Lennon airport. The bluebells were flowering on the edges of the woods where they get more light but the bulk of them under the trees are not out yet.

Bellanonna Mon 18-Apr-16 14:56:31

Quite a lot in Kent

BBbevan Tue 19-Apr-16 08:35:33

A friend went to Ashridge at the weekend. She said that the bluebells are not yet out. The wood is now fenced with a very helpful man at the gate. He explained about the reasons behind the entry fee. Masses of people , trampled bluebells , erosion of the grass verges by car parking etc. Charges only apply first 2 weekends in May.

Tizliz Tue 19-Apr-16 11:37:17

Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 is going to be talking about this sometime between 12 - 2

GrannyPiggy Tue 19-Apr-16 14:27:43

We've got bluebells alongside our driveway and all around perimeter under the oaks. We've been here for a couple of years and they seem more clustered now, maybe because we've cleared the undergrowth and chickens scratch about, don't know but they smell lovely and make me smile. Don't know what type they are either
One clump is growing through Tarmac chippings

whitewave Tue 19-Apr-16 15:11:16

Wepham Wood near Arundel is our local Bluebell wood. Going there tomorrow, to wander and smell the air.

Candelle Sat 23-Apr-16 21:19:27

Bellanonna: what a lovely photograph, thank you. Kent is obviously warmer than Hertfordshire!!

Bellanonna Sat 23-Apr-16 22:06:30

Thank you Candelle. That was at Emmetts, NT garden near Sevenoaks. We often take the little ones there.