Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

HELP - I've lost my mo-jo.

(33 Posts)
holdthetonic Thu 28-Apr-16 14:41:23

I'm 52 and I feel I've lost my purpose / meaning to life. DH is retired and I gave up my part time admin job 18 months ago so we're both at home all day and DD (12) is at secondary school. I do courses, my allotment, volunteer, help with various committees, do lots of walking and go on lots of holidays.

It is wonderful to have the freedom to do all this but I often feel
that all this busy-ness is simply a displacement activity to avoid getting depressed / lonely.

I really feel I should be doing something more worthwhile with my time / life. If I died tomorrow what would I have done for society. I have a great feeling that life is/ has passed me by. We live in a nice city, have nice neighbours but aside from relatives I feel we don't have any close friends i.e.:the people who drop in for a coffee. What am I doing wrong. ?

All advice GRATEFULLY received.

LuckyFour Wed 04-May-16 20:30:57

It's nothing to do with the menopause, you can feel this way at any age. When I retired I went to my nearest National Trust house and have been volunteering one day a week now for 6 years. I meet lots of new people each week and also have a regular group of friends who I work alongside. We have a grumble and a laugh and everyone is lively, intelligent and fun. Friends don't come to you, you have to go out and find them.

holdthetonic Thu 05-May-16 07:50:32

Here's an update.... I'm going for an interview today as an "audio proof listener"
Ie: you listen to audio books and spot the mistakes!.
Yes, U3A sounds interesting... but it would involve going with my mum and her friends (!) which makes me think perhaps I'm really too young for it.

Bellanonna Thu 05-May-16 08:13:11

There are lots of groups in the U3A. I would say find your own group, and leave your Mum and her friends to their own. However, there could be a new job on the horizon. Best of luck with that. It does sound as though you are already quite active though and just feel you're not doing anything worthwhile. Well, you're bringing up a young daughter, that must be worthwhile in itself. Your volunteering and committee work should feel worthwhile so I wonder whether you should relax and enjoy yourself more. Join a Zumba class? Ramblers or similar? Thinking about U3A most people would be a lot older than you so I probably wouldn't go down that route yet. However if the interview is successful perhaps you will have found just what you're looking for. Do come back and tell us.

etheltbags1 Thu 05-May-16 10:29:10

My thoughts are that if it were me in your situation I would be looking for a part time job, even if I did not need the money, I would be looking to meet people and in a work situation as part of a team this is vastly different to meeting people socially. Much more satisfying.

holdthetonic Wed 18-May-16 10:36:25

Here's the promised update..
My mojo has been found or at least relocated! I'm feeling much cheerier.
I'm now working as an audio proof listening. (Proof reading/ listening to audio books) This has the great advantage of giving me some "pin money" which I wantedit fits in with family life and my other commitments and it's flexible. I can do it whenever and where ever I like.. (At home, coffee shop - ANYWHERE! )
Thanks v much for all your ideas and support.
X

vampirequeen Wed 18-May-16 11:02:27

This is time to do whatever you want. Take each day as it comes. Are you financially OK? If so, ask yourself what you've always wanted to do. Do you and your DH share interests?

When I reached the age of 50 I decided I'd been grown up long enough. So now, providing I don't hurt anyone, I do whatever I want. I've learned to dance, taken up cycling and walking, and even climbed trees. My aim at some point is to Go Ape even though I'm scared of heights lol. We have a list of things we want to see and do. Some are daft and some more serious.

At the moment we're converting a Transit into a tent on wheels. Then we can go away more often (I know this isn't an option for you as you have a child in school). We're going to wildcamp.....well we're Yorkshire born and don't like spending money grin

You've worked. You've paid into the system. You don't have to be defined by your job but by who you are. If people don't approve of what you do then tough. Enjoy yourself. It's your life and you have the chance to live it whilst you're still young.

vampirequeen Wed 18-May-16 11:05:34

Sorry crossed with your post