Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Which vacuum cleaner to choose

(72 Posts)
grannyscott Tue 21-Jun-16 13:22:16

Just moved house and the carpets are a luxurious thick pile. My vacuum cleaner (Dyson) rolls forward on it but won't pull back so I need to buy a new one fit for the job. Suggestions please.

seadragon Wed 22-Jun-16 11:21:50

Another vote for Sebo - cured my rhinitis, caused by dust and pollen allergy. Mine is well over 10 years old - possibly as much as 15 or 20 - and cleans as well as ever - good attachments too.

brenh34 Wed 22-Jun-16 11:29:01

GTech Air Ram really is the bees knees. Only downside is that it's a bit noisy in operation but it certainly does the business. I also have the hand held one for doing the stairs and the toolkit so that DH can vacuum out the car.

ExaltedWombat Wed 22-Jun-16 11:44:00

You don't need a "designer" cleaner. Henry, every time. You're not restricted to the tools that come with it, there's a half-power switch. What's not to like?

edsnana Wed 22-Jun-16 12:17:42

GTECH is fabulous, very light , easy to use. Highly recommend

Tizliz Wed 22-Jun-16 12:26:23

Why don't you like Henrys? I use one in my engineering workshop and it tackles anything. It is really abused - swarf, dust, dog hair - does get bunged up a few times but not surprising.

I have a new Dyson at home and regret it, it is too heavy, sucks too hard (!) to vacuum my mats, and clogs up - which it shouldn't. Needs cleaning completely every month.

Did like my DC04 but it needs spares and they don't make them any more.

Nonnie1 Wed 22-Jun-16 12:28:52

I only vacuum when there is an inch of muck on the carpets necessary There are so many other things a girl can do with her time smile

Lupatria Wed 22-Jun-16 12:56:05

i've got a hoover and it's been wonderful. i've got the one with the attachment to get rid of pet hair which is very useful as my cat will rub herself against the side of the settees.
i tried the gtech one when it came out a few years ago and, in the end, threw it away as it was absolutely useless. the battery kept dying and even with a new battery it didn't function properly. waste of money.

millymouge Wed 22-Jun-16 12:59:34

Miele Dog and Cat for me, absolutely fantastic.

Auntieflo Wed 22-Jun-16 13:16:05

We both love our Gtech for it's lightness, power and manoeuvrability. (Sp)? I also have a Henry for when I think I should be working harder, but he is lovely. He never complains that I neglect him now, and is well trained to follow me around. Before that I had a Dyson, but found it much too heavy and not easy to manoeuvre around the furniture, so gave it to pur DS. My very first vacuum was a round, sputnik lookalike, ( can't remember the make) and he was great, but I wore him out and he was replaced by a Goblin cylinder, purchased because my Mum had a Goblin and he was renowned for his reliability.

annemac101 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:00:52

Miele cat and dog here too but by the right bags for it.I bought cheaper ones on Amazon and they were rubbish.

Voni44 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:31:42

Gtech cordless brilliant invention - DH loves it!!!

hicaz46 Wed 22-Jun-16 15:42:04

We gave our Dyson to my son and went back to Miele cylinder. So much better, more efficient and easier to use.

breeze Wed 22-Jun-16 16:10:19

You don't say if you have pets. Or how large your house is (makes a difference if you have vast rooms and lots of stairs). Being Dyson fans, on the advice of our carpet cleaning lovely man, we bought a Miele. It was too heavy for me (boy did it have suction though, I could barely move it) but it used bags. Big expensive mistake. Damp dog hair (we have 2 large dogs) and paper bags don't mix. The smell was awful. Gone back to Dyson. Re cordless, don't go there if you have a very large house. Runs out of charge before you finish. If you have pets and long pile you have a problem. As to get something strong enough (like Miele) to lift the fur but be able to move it over thick pile will be difficult. If you don't have pets, get something light to move around and have the carpets cleaned regularly.

carol49cat Wed 22-Jun-16 16:55:44

I wouldn't swap my Oreck for anything else even though its over 10 years old. Bought after noticing that the hotel we stayed in used them for cleaning the rooms. Never see them advertised though.

jackrussell Wed 22-Jun-16 16:55:48

I have a Henry and Gtech cordless, and they compliment each other perfectly. Oh and a Jack Russell smile

J52 Wed 22-Jun-16 17:23:58

We had the Meile top of the range, for years. Worth every penny and after about 5 years we used their servicing ( taken and brought back to the house). After about 10 years it got tired.

DS had a Henry, so we gave it a go. Fantastic! We bought one, it's every bit as good as the Meile, at about a third of the price.

And he's so cute, following me around!

Flowerofthewest Wed 22-Jun-16 17:39:24

Shark lift off. Is amazing. I found that the Gtech caught fine hair and treads around the roller. It must be a common problem as instruction of how to remove it with scissors is given.

granjura Wed 22-Jun-16 17:47:18

Ah well... (yes I know ;) ) I was going to buy a Dyson- but I've decided I am NOT, even if it's the best cordless (as he is such a hypocrit about taking his production to Malysia for cheap labour and costs)...

Got a top of the range Miele and have had it for many many years.

1974cookie Wed 22-Jun-16 18:22:29

I have a Sebo upright, and I love it. It adjusts itself according to the height of the carpet.
I agree with Lilyflower re: the Henry.
My Sister has a 'Henry' which she swears by, I tried it once and in truth I thought that it was rubbish.( I dare not tell my lovely Sis that ).

Gilla01 Wed 22-Jun-16 19:08:05

Loved my Henry. After about 12 years he went to be the garage hoover and I now have Hetty who is marvellous. Amazing suction, easy to empty, full and half power. Great value and does what it says on the box.

GandTea Wed 22-Jun-16 19:13:34

Mrs P loves her Dyson cordless, she has two. Her Henry has been bequeathed to me for use in the workshop.

AnnieGran Wed 22-Jun-16 20:20:40

Hey, Granjura - that's why I have never got a Dyson (apart from not being able to lift one). The man took his manufacturing abroad, as you said, and now is gesturing around about the referendum The man shouldn't even have a vote. In my opinion, of course.

I find that vacuum cleaners always die just when you have a load of bills to pay and can only afford a cheap one. I have managed to keep the house clean on a variety of cheap cleaners over the years, anything which is in a sale. I admit to not having a cat or dog, otherwise I would need to be a bit more choosy.

GandTea Wed 22-Jun-16 20:41:49

Dyson employ 1200 people in the UK in product design and development. They manufacture overseas in order to compete with the other major manufacturers. This is what all big companies do, in fact some household names contract their design and development out overseas.
I worked for 34 years in a British company that had its design & development in the UK, but could not afford to manufacture here, it's a fact of life in manufacturing now. The UK is good at product design and development but too expensive for manufacture.

Jalima Wed 22-Jun-16 20:47:50

I like my new Dyson

vintage1950 Thu 23-Jun-16 09:32:22

Our Henry is excellent but heavy and unwieldy. We had a GTECH which got clogged up with our daughter's long hair and stopped working. GTECH replaced it but the same thing happened again. No refund. We felt that we had wasted around £200. If you have a short-haired family it might be fine but not if you have anyone in your home with long hair. Daughter's hair goes down to her waist.