Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Will it really happen?

(96 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 25-Jun-16 19:33:48

Brexit, that is.

Am I alone in thinking that, for whatever reason, it just won't come about? hmm

A week is a long time in politics - we've had just one day.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 26-Jun-16 10:02:23

(Or it might be Article 50 (my previous post))

(It's very early)

Smithy Sun 26-Jun-16 10:15:14

Be careful what you wish for is a saying I strongly adhere to - the Leavers have got what they voted for now everyone else must suffer the chaos which everything is descending into.
The thought of either BoJo or Gove as Prime minister is enough to give anyone nightmares.
Britain might not be in any hurry but the rest of the EU seem to be saying ''right, you wanted out, get a move on then''

chrissie13 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:47:40

Over 3 million signatures so far on this petition:

EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum

We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

michellejane1 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:48:03

what's done is done. there were lies told to us on both sides and all we could do was try and unravel the lies as much as was possible. which in truth was really impossible.
now we have to look to the future with as much positivity and optimism as we can muster up.
I have the gut feeling that everything will be ok in the end, just a bit nervous of the immediate future.

NonnaAnnie Sun 26-Jun-16 10:50:29

Yes the Leave camp lied through their teeth, but then so did the Remainers. It amazes me that they think we won't notice the BS and lies.

TriciaF Sun 26-Jun-16 10:55:58

Jess - your point about the immigrants from Calais/
Yesterday the head politician for the Calais area was interviewed on France 24(tv channel) and said the immigrants would be free to go asap, and the residents of Calais would be waving them off.
Another possible scenario (though I don't think it will happen), is that other European countries will start to apply to leave. Then Merkel, Juncker et al, fearing for a complete breakup of Europe, will start to make concessions to UK and others, to persuade them to stay.
And UK might opt for a membership such as Norway and Switzerland have.
An emergency summit of EU leaders has been arranged for tomorrow.

Mamie Sun 26-Jun-16 11:09:41

I am not sure how anyone could just board a ferry for the UK though. In Calais you go through French then British immigration, but at every other port in France you have your passport checked with your ticket, then again by French border control then again when you get to the UK and go through border control. If you haven't got a valid passport then you aren't allowed to board. (Have seen this happen a few times).

TriciaF Sun 26-Jun-16 11:10:10

ps the meeting is for Wednesday (I think.)

westieyaya Sun 26-Jun-16 11:41:24

Corbin could have put on a much more proactive campaign to get to the roots of working class Britain who were convinced it was all about non European immigration, and didn't listen to all the pros and cons

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 26-Jun-16 11:46:11

TriciaF Norway and Switzerland both have to comply with the freedom of movement requirements of the EU, so that is not an option for the UK. That said, Switzerland is trying to back out of it and there's a lot going on around the freedom of movement issue.

Maggiemaybe Sun 26-Jun-16 12:10:51

Merkel, Juncker et al, fearing for a complete breakup of Europe, will start to make concessions to UK and others, to persuade them to stay.

To others, perhaps, TriciaF. Not to the UK. Too late. We've voted, we're out.

Maggiemaybe Sun 26-Jun-16 12:12:48

And UK might opt for a membership such as Norway and Switzerland have.

I'm afraid we'll probably get what we're given, as my mother used to say.

Al1gran Sun 26-Jun-16 13:57:40

I agree with Riverwalk's original suggestion that it might not happen. I think Boris never expected it to end like this and now doesn't know what to do.

Maybe there is hope - the online petition is gathering pace (well over 3 million in 2 days)

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Please do sign it! I feel we have let down the younger generation really badly

Mamie Sun 26-Jun-16 14:11:28

Interesting coverage in the Ouest France about "regrexit".
www.ouest-france.fr/europe/brexit/les-regrexit-reclament-le-droit-lerreur-et-un-nouveau-referendum-4327635
Quite sympathetic?

auntiejantie Sun 26-Jun-16 14:22:38

I have just signed the petition and passed the link on to my children and close friends, who were all stunned by the result. I live in Scotland and the result showed that we wanted to stay. However, if more Scots had gone to the polls perhaps the result would have been different. Now it's likely that we are looking at another independence referendum, which I voted no to before .... but now?... who knows! The whole thing is a mess and David Cameron should not have started it in the first place!

Bellanonna Sun 26-Jun-16 14:32:43

Signed yesterday. Interesting comments from Ouest France, Mamie

TriciaF Sun 26-Jun-16 14:40:37

Mamie - I didn't intend to enter into the doom and gloom, but maybe these desperate immigrants will set off in their little rubber dinghies across the channel, into one of the many unguarded towns on the south coast.
N. France to south UK ? 20 miles
Libya to S. Greece ? 60 miles.

Mamie Sun 26-Jun-16 14:49:48

They already have Tricia. There was an arrest a few weeks back, near Dymchurch, I think. Two English men were arrested and charged with people smuggling.

Gracesgran Sun 26-Jun-16 14:56:24

I don't think they did all lie marionk. We have already seen the effects of the unwinding and it is quite possible that "we ain't seen nothing yet". So although some called the "remainers" campaign the "politics of fear" it may be more the case that there were some very politically naive and even totally unaware "leavers".

Those who lead the "leave" campaign are already backing out of promises made or implied and the biggest thing to remember is that the vote was for "out" not any particular form of "in"

Gracesgran Sun 26-Jun-16 14:57:54

That should have said "not for any particular form of 'out'".

Beammeupscottie Sun 26-Jun-16 15:14:39

With a bit of luck the approx. 75% of Remainers in Parliament will constantly block this "reform" and kick it in the long grass. Keep your eye on Nicola Sturgeon. There is such anger and disarray in the Country, I cannot see how they can move forward. A Referendum is only a suggestion to parliament - nothing more.

Direne3 Sun 26-Jun-16 15:37:59

Forgive my flippancy but does the Brexit leave vote mean that all of the Spanish Slugs will be going home in a couple of years (came back off holiday to find that they've decimated my seedlings).

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 15:41:06

Yes Direne they will be booted out unless they can show they are doing a good job of munching your cabbages.
Of course it will happen ( exiting the EU) a petition is futile ( as a Dalek would say.)

auntiejantie Sun 26-Jun-16 15:59:45

Is there any harm in trying??? (a petition, that is)

mischief Sun 26-Jun-16 16:04:00

If another referendum was held next Thursday I have no doubt the IN campaign would win hands down. So many Brexiters have admitted they didn't think they would win and now that reality is starting to bite, I think they would vote differently.

However, there is not going to be a second referendum. It's a pity that rules like, the majority has to be at least 60%, weren't put into place before last Thursday, but there it is. We can't change the rules just because we don't like the outcome.

Yes, it's going to happen but I think it's a great shame that the fact that the UK was due to take over the EU presidency in July of next year, where we could have started a revolution to change the EU, was not even mentioned (as far as I know) by the IN campaign.

The referendum is not legally binding so our only hope is that parliament don't implement it. Then all hell will break loose.