Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Im a novice

(65 Posts)
MarySunshine Sat 02-Jul-16 18:04:17

Ive just signed up here to this site and stumbling my way about ... not very well, I might add! Just become a Nan to a beautiful boy and now need to feel like the Nan I have become by chatting and getting to know others on the same boat.. Its so exciting but all my 'non-nan' friends are sick of the photos coming out and my ramblings on about this wonderful little child just four weeks old..
Ive been reading through and trying to find a discussion to fit myself into but I dont get the abbreviations used on here and Ive never used a forum before

Any tips would be very welcome ..
Thanks (smile)

phoenix Sat 02-Jul-16 18:11:48

Welcome! There is a guide to the abbreviations/acronyms etc, I think it's somewhere down the bottom, but as I've been here since the world was black and white, I can't exactly remember blush

grannylyn65 Sat 02-Jul-16 18:14:06

Hi Sunshine and welcome, there is something for everyone here!
Congrats at becoming a gran. The abbreviations are explained by clicking on a link, but not on my phone !! Some people know everything and others, well, you'll see!! Have fun xx

grannylyn65 Sat 02-Jul-16 18:15:18

grin phoenix

Grannyknot Sat 02-Jul-16 18:20:40

Welcome, sunshine it doesn't take long to work out the abbreviations, just put "dear" in front of husband, partner, son, daughter, etc. Or, you can just ignore them like I do!

Congrats on becoming a grandmother.

tanith Sat 02-Jul-16 18:23:05

Hi Sunshine how exciting becoming a Gran is congratulations on your little one . Jump in any thread that interests you, you will mostly get a warm welcome everywhere.

Luckygirl Sat 02-Jul-16 18:23:27

Congratulations - just enjoy - you will love it. smile

Auntieflo Sat 02-Jul-16 18:27:47

Hi, at the top of the page, you will see a list from left to right, with [Active], [I'm on], [Watching] etc, etc. just click in the [Acronyms] box, and hey presto, all will be revealed

annodomini Sat 02-Jul-16 18:34:46

Welcome sunshine and congratulations on becoming a gran. You never forget that first cuddle, no matter how many GC you have. And you'll probably regale your friends with anecdotes about him forever. Just come on here and tell us all about him. sunshine

Coolgran65 Sat 02-Jul-16 18:41:44

Welcome flowers

DH. Dear husband
DD. Dear daughter
DR. Dear son
Dgd. Dear granddaughter
Dgs. Dear grandson
Gp. Grandparents
IFSWIM. If you see what I mean

That's a start smile

Saves typing out in full

Ana Sat 02-Jul-16 18:50:50

The list of Acronyms is the end one along the bar at the top of the page under Gransnet Forums.

There aren't many threads devoted solely to grandparenthood, but welcome, MarySunshine!

MarySunshine Sat 02-Jul-16 19:03:06

Thankyou to you all and for the lovely warm welcome. I have the list to refer to from the Acronyms now and Im sure I will pick up as I go along... I needed to know this to get the gist of what was being said in the threads.
Next question .. Is there a good place to get to know people on here or is it the way to get to know others jusst by answering in a thread?

Ana Sat 02-Jul-16 19:07:05

Yes, but beware of the political threads unless you like the cut and thrust of sometimes heated 'discussion'...grin

MarySunshine Sat 02-Jul-16 19:12:26

I will avoid anything political Ana Thanks for the thumbs up on that ..

Charleygirl Sat 02-Jul-16 19:15:05

Welcome and congratulations.

One thread where you are less likely to get your head bitten off and photos of the new baby will be very welcome is soop's kitchen. Enjoy!

MarySunshine Sat 02-Jul-16 19:16:39

Cheers for that Charleygirl .. I will check it out after tea (smile)

tanith Sat 02-Jul-16 19:34:45

Sunshine if a posters name is 'blue' you can click on it to read their profile or see pictures if they have added some..

Greenfinch Sat 02-Jul-16 19:41:37

Meet ups are a good way to get to know people. Look out for one advertised in your area. There is one in Reading next month but I don't suppose that is local to you.

sunseeker Sat 02-Jul-16 19:43:18

Welcome - there are local Gransnet groups who sometimes meet for coffee etc. Click on Local in the green line at the top of the page and follow the link to find if there is one close to you.

kittylester Sat 02-Jul-16 19:46:23

I was going to say that nuns are welcome too!!

BBbevan Sat 02-Jul-16 19:59:39

A late vocation * Kitty* if they are on GN grin

GandTea Sat 02-Jul-16 20:48:32

Granny knot -- " husband, partner, son, daughter, etc. Or, you can just ignore them like I do!" That's how a nice granny should behave grin

GandTea Sat 02-Jul-16 20:49:43

oops should red "That's not

GandTea Sat 02-Jul-16 20:50:56

oops should read "read not red" (have I got it fight this time ?)

kittylester Sat 02-Jul-16 20:52:42

fight - right! grin