Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Im a novice

(66 Posts)
MarySunshine Sat 02-Jul-16 18:04:17

Ive just signed up here to this site and stumbling my way about ... not very well, I might add! Just become a Nan to a beautiful boy and now need to feel like the Nan I have become by chatting and getting to know others on the same boat.. Its so exciting but all my 'non-nan' friends are sick of the photos coming out and my ramblings on about this wonderful little child just four weeks old..
Ive been reading through and trying to find a discussion to fit myself into but I dont get the abbreviations used on here and Ive never used a forum before

Any tips would be very welcome ..
Thanks (smile)

tanith Mon 04-Jul-16 11:50:29

Hi and welcome Nannyanny smile

Wendy4 Mon 04-Jul-16 12:02:24

Hi MarySunshine
I have just joined myself and was also wondering about the
abbreviations, so thanks to all for help smile. I became a gran last year in March (my daughter had a little boy) and then this year my son and DIL had a little boy on the exact same date in March! Easy to remember birthdays, ha. Like yourself I'm thinking friends are fed up with pictures so I'm trying to scale these down and not bore them so much. It's lovely to join the chat here and get to know everyone, it looks a really friendly place!

Kath172 Mon 04-Jul-16 13:00:23

Welcome Nan, to the best club in the world - when I became a Gran I couldn't imagine loving anyone more that I loved my own children - boy was I wrong !!! these little people just take over your whole being. enjoy every minute you have with them x

pollyperkins Mon 04-Jul-16 14:06:21

Gorgeous photos Mary Sunshine, And what a lovely name!

shysal Mon 04-Jul-16 14:15:29

Congratulations Nannyanny and welcome to you and Wendy4. flowers flowers
Sweet photos MarySunshine smile

Carolpaint Mon 04-Jul-16 15:45:07

A new family baby is yours to treasure, yours being the operative word. Am I alone as a granny or mother despairing of the boasting, comparisons, finding them intrusive and bad manners, after listening politely about any of off springs wonderful prowess am I meant to counter with how wonderful mine are, no we are meant to just join in with your praise. My own babies, I thought were rather ugly and did not compare with all the stories of other babies, they only started to become interesting after six months, all my grandchildren similar. I think I will have to start with dire tales of untruth, one is a lap dancer, another may run cocaine out of Columbia, come on ladies start inventing.

albertina Mon 04-Jul-16 18:02:06

Many congratulations on becoming a Grandparent. A wonderful event in a life.

I wouldn't worry about the non Nans, enjoy every minute of this precious time.

Newquay Mon 04-Jul-16 21:01:46

Thanks Nandalot haveput some details on profile but still seem to be blacksad
Oh nanny Annie welcome?

Blinko Mon 04-Jul-16 21:40:02

Hi MarySunshine. Welcome, it's always good to meet new people. You'll get to know folks really quickly if you go on the recipe, diet and/or beauty threads.

Avoid the political ones, though, unless you enjoy controversy. They can get very heated. grin

And to get the emoticons to work, you should use the big square brackets.

Newquay Mon 04-Jul-16 23:09:51

Well have managed to make my 'name' go blue but it says I don't have any grandchildren when I have FIVE?
So, you clever people out there, how do I alter my profile then?

Newquay Mon 04-Jul-16 23:18:58

I've managed to add my DGC now to my profile?

Patsy429 Tue 05-Jul-16 10:02:26

Hi Mary Sunshine - Congratulations on becoming a proud grandmother. It is exciting and you are on the start of the emotional coaster ride of being a grandma (or nan, nanna, etc.) Before I became a grandma I had to listen incessantly to one friend who could talk for hours on how brilliant her children were doing, now it's the grandchildren. I made up my mind never, ever to become one of those grandmas who produced photos at the drop of a hat. Until the gorgeous grand kids arrived! First time grandparents are excused though - but just for the first month. When people ask how they are doing, then I will reply but otherwise, I don't say much unless of course one of my fabulous grand children has achieved some outstanding award. Most of my friends are now grandparents themselves so we always keep each other up to date as we are glad of their support when the grandchildren are ill, in trouble in school and as they get older. So welcome to the club and enjoy!

Pittcity Tue 05-Jul-16 10:09:09

Newquay you have to go to My Grandchildren link at bottom of page, fill in names etc. and tick box to show them on profile. Don't worry about the progress emails bit, I haven't received any yet!

Pittcity Tue 05-Jul-16 10:12:53

It's not a tick box on the Grandchildren page, but a drop down menu on the profile edit. Choose the correct one after adding your grandchildren.

MarySunshine Tue 05-Jul-16 10:22:01

Thankyou all. This is more than the nicest welcome I could imagine. And Hi to Wendy4 a fellow newbie here.

Although I am very happy to share tits and tats of the happiness my new grandson brings to me, I am of course aware that is only me (and his other gran) that see this little one with such adornment.
I still have a busy and active life outside my time being a Nan. I wish I had some friends Patsy who were also grandparents. When my son was small I used to take him out with a friend of mine who looked after her two GS of similar age.
I guess I need to check out the local part of this site and maybe go along to a meet in time ..