Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Any ideas for fundraising for my granddaughter's operation

(64 Posts)
TheMaggiejane1 Sun 10-Jul-16 14:28:59

My lovely granddaughter is 6 years old and has cerebral palsy. She cannot walk at all unaided and we have been told that her only chance of walking is an operation called Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy. Great Ormand Street Hospital will do this operation in March but unfortunately it is not done on the NHS. It's not considered a priority apparently! We have started up a Just Giving page and people are incredibly kind and generous but we need to come up with some more fund raising ideas as we have to raise £50,000! Has any one else got any experience of fundraising on such a large scale?
crowdfunding.justgiving.com/BellasWish

granjura Tue 12-Jul-16 09:40:04

annsixty- have never heard the term again- so does s/he mean 'remainer' here? Quite sick to use such a thread for this, if it is, truly. How insensitive!

Back to the OP! flowers

granjura Tue 12-Jul-16 09:40:39

.. the term ever ...

Jalima Tue 12-Jul-16 09:41:11

Imogen's operation was carried out in Bristol as part of a trial - have you asked your consultant if there are any trials in your area? Any money raised could then go towards physiotherapy (apparently not covered afterwards).

Jalima Tue 12-Jul-16 09:44:38

So sorry to hear about your niece suzied and well done for your fundraising efforts.

trisher Tue 12-Jul-16 10:12:19

This might help www.better-fundraising-ideas.com/

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jul-16 11:05:02

If there was a house within the family, maybe a loan could be raised against it. You would not have to sell the whole home to raise fifty thou! So harrigran could have a good point.

Jalima Tue 12-Jul-16 16:13:58

I presume you are aware of this link maggie

I would keep pressing for your little DGD, things do look a bit more hopeful if the trials go well

www.scope.org.uk/support/families/therapies/sdr

janeainsworth Tue 12-Jul-16 16:33:12

I think the reason the NHS don't fund this routinely is that the outcome is not always positive.
The reason I donated was that I know that in Maggiejane's position I would just want to do everything in my power to help my DGD fulfil her wish.

Nelliemoser Tue 12-Jul-16 17:17:37

I read a bit about this surgery when I saw the post. The grandson of someone in choir had had this surgery in the USA.

The link Jalima has posted has quite a lot of information about where and when this treatment can best be used. It seems to be an excellent source of information.

There are a lot of contra-indications for this treatment depending on the individuals disabilities. It is not a cure all. I think at present the trials of the surgery are ongoing and still being evaluated.

janeainsworth Tue 12-Jul-16 17:40:52

Yes Nellie I agree.
With a limited pot of money, the NHS mainly, though not exclusively, funds evidence-based medicine.
It is not all about cost-cutting - more about getting the best value for the greatest number of people. It's easy to point the finger at NICE but they have a very difficult job to do.
Of course drug companies fund research that is based on new drug therapy, and that leads to problems in itself, but funding for research into surgical techniques or methods of management, where drugs are not involved, is very limited.
Even if the surgery is not successful for Maggies DGD (and I do hope it is) perhaps some knowledge will be gained that could benefit other children in the future.

TheMaggiejane1 Tue 12-Jul-16 17:59:45

Thank you for all your great suggestions and hints, they are really useful and we are looking in to them all. No jinglebells the operation has not been refused funding because of medical reasons. It is being carried out at Great Ormond Street and GD has been recommended by her NHS paediatrician as an ideal candidate. The operation is carried out routinely in America and in every case there is some improvement. Even if GD only gains a few steps this would mean she could get herself onto the toilet independently. Imagine being bright and mentally capable and not being able to go to the loo by yourself! We have seen amazing results on other children though and are very hopeful that she will be able to do more than this. There is work being done to lobby MPs to reinstate the funding for this operation but nothing has been done yet, I suppose MPs have a lot to think about at the moment! I think you will find that our NHS is gradually being eroded though, for whatever reason. A special thank you to the lovely people who made donations. We have been totally amazed by the kindness of strangers over the last few days. There are a lot of lovely people out there

By the way, Harrigran and I have made our peace so you don't need to be nasty to her anymore!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jul-16 18:06:10

That would be a bit hard on the granddaughter!

This kind of thing needs a lot of information from various sources before it should be undertaken. I'm sure Maggiejane and her family have all that under control, but I think the information should be supplied to the public. Perhaps they need to make a fuller case?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jul-16 18:06:44

Crossed posts with the OP.