Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why are old people so selfish?

(86 Posts)
AllYoungPeople Wed 20-Jul-16 01:38:21

You make us pay for education, while your pensions and NHS spending increase. You made houses unaffordable.

Now you take us out of the EU and destroy the future WE wanted for ourselves.

Thanks. Thanks so much.

vampirequeen Wed 20-Jul-16 09:55:21

I don't own a house or get a state pension yet. However I worked from the age of 15 and paid National Insurance and tax.

In fact as I have a small private pension (which I did without to pay for) I still pay income tax.

When you've lived your life, worked for 40 years, brought up a family, paid your taxes and saved for your pension then we can discuss anything you think I'm to blame for. Until then think how you can live your life. Do you have a job? If not, find one. It doesn't have to be full time or a career. You can work whilst you seek what you really want. Start saving for a mortgage. You may not be able to afford your dream house but I doubt most people buy that the first time. Don't forget to pay into a pension scheme because the state pension will not be sufficient to live on.

When you start/go to work remember that the workers rights you have like shorter hours, guaranteed breaks and paid holidays are all there because previous generations fought for them.

I voted to remain btw.

Mumsy Wed 20-Jul-16 09:55:45

we may be old but we still have a future! I for one voted out!

GandTea Wed 20-Jul-16 09:57:04

LOL, when he has worked for 40 years, he can talk to my headstone.

annodomini Wed 20-Jul-16 09:57:49

According to data released by the LSE, 64% of 18 - 24s voted in the referendum as opposed to 90% of the 65+ age group. As I probably wouldn't say, 'Go figure'.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/young-people-referendum-turnout-brexit-twice-as-high

LouiseMLP Wed 20-Jul-16 10:04:58

When all's said and done the vote was very close and if young people were interested in their future then more of them should have turned up at the polling stations and used their right to vote!! As for the assumption that people over the age of 55 all voted out then they are badly misinformed.

Mumsy Wed 20-Jul-16 10:11:27

GandTea no doubt he will get some spray paint and do some graffiti on your head stone grin

TerriBull Wed 20-Jul-16 10:24:44

The inimitable poster known as ALLYOUNGPEOPLE has not seen fit to send a spokespe from his/her all encompassing multi personas representing the entire younger generation, to defend, respond. elaborate, clarify his/her allegations. Just a wind up then hmm

TerriBull Wed 20-Jul-16 10:26:53

oops spokespe, I meant spokesperson,

Indinana Wed 20-Jul-16 10:30:58

Pebbles in a pond TerriBull

starbird Wed 20-Jul-16 10:31:10

What a totally naive and uninformed opinion. All that has happened has been the result of various policies, by governments we did not all vote for. Yes some older people are now comfortably off, mostly due to very hard work throughout their lives, they have a wonderful lifestyle which they deserve, but a large proportion live alone on the state pension, and can afford no holidays, or visits to children/ grandchildren who do not live near, they buy clothes from charity shops and just pray the house does not fall down on them through lack of maintenance, before they die, and these people also worked hard throughout their lives, many still working into their 70's.
It is true that the NHS spends a lot on old people (hip, knee and catarct operations currently make up the biggest surgical cost), but the cost of not doing them would be even greater as more people would need nursing care - or should we be put down instead?

sunseeker Wed 20-Jul-16 10:41:13

starbird The OP probably thinks anyone over the age of 60 is past it and should be euthanised (until he gets to 60 of course!). I think all of the well thought out replies to his post will go over his head. Probably won't bother to reply - he most likely thought he was going to wind up the oldies, bitten off more than he can chew I think! grin

grannylyn65 Wed 20-Jul-16 10:46:54

What amazes me that anyone is even responding, thus perpetuating the pathetic poster.

fiorentina51 Wed 20-Jul-16 10:50:36

What saddens me is that one section of society has been singled out by the media as the cause of all this country's woes. Regrettably, many of the sweeping generalisations made are actually believed by some young people who are looking for someone to blame.
Had any other group been singled out in this way, there would, quite rightly, be accusations of descrimination.
The op is, in my humble opinion, an ill educated prat and not worth wasting energy on.
I am now off to bathe in champagne whilst eating grapes lovingly peeled for me by a handsome lothario who will later join me on my private jet, ready to pander to my every whim as we fly over the hordes of snivelling, poverty stricken young people scrabbling in the dirt below. Cheers! ???

GandTea Wed 20-Jul-16 10:53:33

grannylyn65, you have just done exactly that smile

We have had some fun with these school holiday posts in the past. Assuming of course that this one has the intelligence to put up a response.

Stansgran Wed 20-Jul-16 11:28:47

I carefully got ready to post on the deleted thread and was about to press post when it was deleted before my eyes. That's the most exciting thing that's happened to me this weekgrin
Apart from yesterday waving off DD1 and her family ( two weeks free childcare and a week in a luxury cottage by the sea) who are now setting off on safari . And DD2 was waved off on Sunday having promised her two weeks childcare in August before she takes them off on holiday and we had already treated the whole family to a week in Scotland ( again luxury). She has just moved in to a house I could never have afforded,probably couldn't now but in those days wives' salaries were not taken into account for a mortgage.
I enjoy giving as shrouds have no pockets.

Jalima Wed 20-Jul-16 12:08:29

Stansgran grin

Eloethan Wed 20-Jul-16 12:17:03

With some grave doubts, I voted Remain too - and I know many older people who did the same. I also know older people - and younger people - who voted Leave.

Are you suggesting that all those people who voted Leave were old? In some areas, such as Sunderland, the Leave vote was substantial. Were they all old people? It has already been pointed out that those people who have suffered the most under preceding governments' austerity measures were considerably more likely to vote to leave.

It is pointless and insulting to suggest that all older people are self-absorbed and selfish, just as it is pointless and insulting to suggest that all younger people are irresponsible spendthrifts.

People voted to leave or remain for a variety of reasons - some connected to their own personal circumstances and some because they honestly believed that what they were doing was for the benefit of the country as a whole.

Now that the decision has been made - and my view is that the campaign on both sides was a hysterical and dishonest shambles - we need to stop the blame game and get on with it.

phoenix Wed 20-Jul-16 18:47:54

I am 57 (well, I am for the next couple of weeks) and I voted remain, so stick that up your fundament.

Bellanonna Wed 20-Jul-16 18:52:33

Ah, you're a young one Phoenix

Jalima Wed 20-Jul-16 18:58:48

Just realised that DH and I are not baby boomers!!
That must be why we feel exhausted (although very happy) after spending another day looking after DC whilst mummy and daddy were at work.

Thank goodness All Young People are not the same and most are very nice indeed, particularly my family grin.

There are, of course, the minority who are very well-balanced because they have chips on both shoulders.

M0nica Wed 20-Jul-16 19:27:57

In areas where most older people voted out fewest young people voted at all. In my region we voted remain and I do not know any older person who voted or any young person who didn't vote at all.

One of the things you will learn as you grow older AYP is not to make sweeping generalisations that you cannot justify. I could refute them all, but really cannot be bothered. I have so much else to do. Play golf, go on a world cruise, buy a large new car, go to the hair dresser. I wonder how many young people are kept in work by my relentless spending of my ill-gotten pension gains on self indulgence? gringrin

annodomini Wed 20-Jul-16 19:46:53

Born during WW2, I am, by definition, a pre-boomer. Most of my friends are boomers and devoted to their families, so by no means could be called selfish. OP, get a life!

annodomini Wed 20-Jul-16 19:48:50

Forgot to say that I, my family and friends of all generations, voted to remain.

granjura Wed 20-Jul-16 20:06:09

Tragically so many people who are complaining bitterly now- didn't register to vote and didn't bother to vote.

We here both voted 'remain' btw- me 65 and he 70.

So I'll ask the question again - did YOU bother to vote?

Jalima Wed 20-Jul-16 20:07:13

looking after DC whilst mummy and daddy were at work
sorry, I did mean DGC
blame my expensive state-funded education grin