Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What is a 'typical ' boy?

(235 Posts)
oldgoose Thu 18-Aug-16 17:48:59

To my mind a typical boy is quite physical, on the go a lot, likes the odd playfight, enjoys football, running around and maybe riding his bike. My friends grandsons burst into the room, jump all over her and then start to fight each other.
My Grandson is 10 and he is very quiet. He is gentle and kind and has 3 friends who are slightly 'nerdy' but also enjoy football and are loud when they want to be. My Grandson likes computers, reading, and collects stationery, he has more than they have in WH Smith. Close friends and family are all beginning to say that he is gay. That dosn't matter a jot, but should we put labels on children quite so early? My Grand-daughters on the other hand are both tomboys, love to play football, climb and pretend to be super -heroes, but no-one has said that they might be gay. I feel sorry for my Grandson because people expect him to be different and don't seem to understand that he needs to be himself. Has anyone else had this with their own children or grandchildren?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 22-Aug-16 17:04:20

The original post went out of the window long ago. That's ok. Threads wander.

merlotgran Mon 22-Aug-16 17:22:47

jingl grin You've forgotten one.

thatbags Mon 22-Aug-16 17:23:36

What if what the bible says about homosexuality is bullshit, obi? Plenty of people do think that. Surely you don't expect them to take any notice of something they think is bullshit? Would you?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 22-Aug-16 17:33:54

merlot #rackedmybrains

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 22-Aug-16 17:38:55

I don't think it's a good idea to get into what the bible does and doesn't say about homosexuality. Better brains than ours have been unable to come to any conclusion.

Shall we just let love conquer all things. smile

#lalalandismyfaveplace

soop Mon 22-Aug-16 18:01:56

lalaland...hmm I'm certain it isn't a sin. Although someone, somewhere, at sometime is bound to try to persuade me otherwise. wink

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 22-Aug-16 18:53:12

I won't! Why would I? CBA anyway.

kathryn489 Wed 24-Aug-16 22:42:30

I absolutely hate the phrase 'boys will be boys' it seems to excuse poor behaviour just because they are a boy! I don't feel behaviour expectations should be any different to a girl and every child is different, supporting individuality, strengths and skills development whatever they maybe.... Makes a happy child and rounded adult ?

annifrance Sun 28-Aug-16 10:59:30

interesting philosophical thought jings - can sin exist without a God?

IMHO as an unbeliever in any God I consider 'sin' to be an inflamatory term and usually inflamed by the powers that be of many religions. Surely the way to go is the do as you would be done by hegemony. just saying.