Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where can I buy a blouse?

(66 Posts)
kittylester Mon 12-Sep-16 10:42:22

We have a couple of things coming up shortly where I particularly need to look and feel good. I've thought I'd like blouse (I don't usually do blouses!) sort of loose ish, possibly with a small amount of pattern, to wear with smart jeans rather than trousers.

The needing to feel good is down to me and the company rather than the venue.blush

I wouldn't mind a tiny bit of sparkle but I don't want black. Help! Other suggestions welcome especially if they come with stockists!! I'm 5'5" tall and a size 20.

Ilrina Tue 13-Sep-16 00:27:15

I kind of know what you mean about dresses as I almost live in my jeans, but occasionally a dress is nce, although I don't feel like me in one smile What about jeans then and a lace top to jazz them up? I see trisha says pretty much the same, although I never feel happy in a tunic myself, I prefer a boxier style.

BlueBelle Tue 13-Sep-16 04:18:48

I haven't worn a dress or skirt for about 40 years and funnily enough I have good legs but I feel totally wrong in one and I think it's because I cant wear heels not even little ones and I feel dead frumpy in flats and dresses although they look good on others I think the tops Trisher has poster look lovely We have a local market stall ( no help to you apart from the idea) that has gorgeous layered tops from Italy that would do the trick perfectly I find blouses an old fashioned perception I would wear tops or tunics or shirts but haven't used the word blouse for years although I suppose they are all the same thing If you re not a big person Joe Brown do some lovely tops

kittylester Tue 13-Sep-16 06:23:51

What started me thinking about a 'blouse' was because Essie (sp) wore one for Sasha's birthday party in Holby!! She looked really good - obviously she is younger, slimmer and more attractive than I!

mrsmopp Tue 13-Sep-16 08:48:59

Are they still called blouses? Or just 'tops'?
I was looking for a nice cardigan last week and there were very few around. Found one eventually though. Don't youngsters wear blouses and cardigans any more? And whatever happened to petticoats!?

DanniRae Tue 13-Sep-16 09:00:39

There is definitely a gap in the market for clothes to suit - and please - women of more mature years. I LOVE clothes and endlessly look online and in the shops for things that I can happily wear. I need dresses with, at least, a short sleeve and are not too short BUT not frumpy. Tops that are long enough to cover my large tum and bum - I am an 18 and about 5'6". Also I don't want to pay a fortune.
Sorry, rant over!

Lizzie1955 Tue 13-Sep-16 09:44:34

White stuff has lots of lovely shirts, with collars! Bought two yesterday. Good luck!

goose1964 Tue 13-Sep-16 09:45:54

I saw some nice stuff in Next yesterday

Tudorrose Tue 13-Sep-16 10:00:57

I think Edinburgh woollen mill is the most depressing shop I have ever been in, apart from Sports Directwhere I bought a football shirt for my grandson

kittylester Tue 13-Sep-16 10:02:51

I've seen some in Wallis that I like but I will need to buy skinny (gringrin) jeans too!!

GrammaH Tue 13-Sep-16 10:05:13

Try Charles Tyrwhitt online. They have some really gorgeous blouses on special offer at the moment & the quality is superb. I'm actually a dress lady but DH has a lot of their men's shirts & they are so well made and DD wears the blouses for both work & leisure & they always look crisp & smart

nana5ue Tue 13-Sep-16 10:09:59

Bravissimo if you have a bosom.
They are fab

Albangirl14 Tue 13-Sep-16 10:22:47

I am a size 20 and White Stuff do not fit me.

Lasydays Tue 13-Sep-16 10:25:41

Do any of you lovely ladies know where I can buy a Denham skirt ,size 18, length 31" or longer. It appears jeans and trousers are the things to wear now but I have never worn anything except long skirts.

EmilyHarburn Tue 13-Sep-16 10:38:20

Gerry Weber does good tops to go with jeans.

This is an example
www.peterhahn.co.uk/gerry-weber-round-neck-top-multi-coloured-901614.html?cartid=563911196949731495682208
not sure if they go up to size 20.

Orvis do smart leisure ad do do Size 20

www.peterhahn.co.uk/gerry-weber-round-neck-top-multi-coloured-901614.html?cartid=563911196949731495682208

good luck, enjoy the occasion.

TriciaF Tue 13-Sep-16 11:02:58

Tops in general- I keep getting adverts from Ezpopsy, many of which I like, but it's from USA. Has anyone ever bought something from them?
Here are some examples of their autumn range:
www.ezpopsy.com/Products/pure-color-fold-falbala-slim-sweater-17403.html?spm=1016.c16.9.65

kittylester Tue 13-Sep-16 11:16:41

There are a few there I fancy Tricia.

For a start I've ordered this one

www.wallis.co.uk/en/wluk/product/clothing-265973/tops-265992/floral-bird-printed-shirt-5722925?bi=20&ps=20

but I may not have finished yet!!

Lupatria Tue 13-Sep-16 11:20:04

i go to asda for my tops. they do blouses/shirts too.
i find that most places either don't go up to my size or are rather too expensive for my pocket.
in asda there's usually something which i like and which fits and is also in the right price range.

ninathenana Tue 13-Sep-16 11:28:20

kitty that's pretty and similar pattern to the link I tried to do. That one is light blue though

mrsmopp Tue 13-Sep-16 11:35:25

Yes, Asda and Sainsbury are fine for clothes. Searching for my cardigan, Laura Ashley wanted over £40 - I finally looked in Primark as a last resort and found the exact thing for £4.50. And I never normally look in there, thinking it was only for size 8 sixteen year olds (and it's a long time since I was a size 8 sixteen year old!)

Rosina Tue 13-Sep-16 11:47:58

Try Windsmoor online - they have a good selection of everything; also 'Just Last Season' who sell much the same stuff but do seem to have a lot of clothing that isn't aimed or styled for the seven stone size zero market. (Also 'Box 2' who cater for the more cuddly among us - they have beautiful flowing clothing, although it's not cheap. They have sales though)

Good luck!

kittylester Tue 13-Sep-16 11:57:46

That's pretty too nina, I might send for that too.

I'm usually not particularly bothered about clothes but these two, casual ish, events seem to matter to me an awful lot. Says more about me as I said somewhere else.

Jaxie Tue 13-Sep-16 12:04:53

If you want to go up market try Brora, LK Bennett, Karen Millen, Jigsaw, Warehouse or good old John Lewis. Good luck.

inishowen Tue 13-Sep-16 12:09:42

Bon Marche is good for tops of any sort.

muswellblue Tue 13-Sep-16 12:12:28

I likeEast for blouses/long sleeved tops too, Stansgran, but I don't think they go above a size 18.

krysiam Tue 13-Sep-16 13:15:20

I have found some nice tops on julipa.com - have a look!