Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandchildren who constantly argue

(30 Posts)
redjune Mon 12-Sep-16 11:40:46

My granddaughters age 6 and 4 constantly argue and bicker when they are together.
We looked after them two days last week and were totally fed up at the end of it. They argue about anything and everything, who can speak, who can sit on which chair, anything.....
My husband thinks we should just have them one at a time as they are fine on their own, but I think we need to tackle the problem and try to sort it out.
I know they are both craving attention, but need some strategies to deal with sibling rivalry like this.
Any ideas would be welcome.

grandMattie Thu 15-Sep-16 07:13:34

If we bickered, mum would send us outside; i did the same with my children. My sisters and I are not on speaking terms, my DCs are extremely fond of each other... my two GDs 4 & 6 are starting to, but the elder is very bossy and the younger more laid back...

LullyDully Thu 15-Sep-16 07:23:25

Mr LD has two younger brothers 67/ 68. He is 70. They don't meet up often but can not agree on much and love to annoy one another. It amazes.me.
My brother and.I are.so.amicable. he is.3.years.older.than me. I don't remember.arguing as.we.had.different.interests.even when young........except Monopoly.now I think of it, he always won. I used to beat him at Cluedo.

seacliff Thu 15-Sep-16 07:51:04

Skimming through the active threads, I initially read this as Grans who argue smile perish the thought!

They both want your attention - could you suggest that if they are "good", you will give each of them an hour of your time to choose an activity to do with you from a list- ie drawing together, crafts, making cake,let them apply nail varnish on you etc, making papier mache ornament?. The other one could do it too - provided they were good. Then later in day it would be their turn.Have a clock showing time of each session. If not behaving well, ignore (well try) and sit and read etc.

The best thing my boys loved when young was my undivided attention, as I also worked and was very busy.

Elegran Thu 15-Sep-16 08:48:37

When mine were young I found that a kitchen timer was very useful for cutting down aggression about taking turns. Set it for a reasonable time, put it where they can see and here it but not sabotage the setting, and be scrupulously fair in allocating times and policing changeovers. They can see that the minutes are ticking down and they will be getting their shot soon, and the one currently enjoying possession can be warned that there are five minutes left - four - three - two - one - get ready - half time, all change!