Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Unhappy starting school

(131 Posts)
SusieB50 Thu 15-Sep-16 18:42:07

Can anyone help/ advise me how to help a distressed daughter ? Her eldest has just started school where she attended nursery quite happily . All was fine last week when she finished at lunchtime ,but this week it's all day and she had to be peeled off DD yesterday sobbing that she didn't want to stay . Poor DD was in tears too . She said the class teacher looks a bit stern ,but the teaching assistant is very smiley. She foolishly went and peeped into the playground at lunch time and DGD was just sitting on a bench looking very unhappy . SiL took her this morning but it was no better . They are not allowed to come home for lunch which I think is a bit harsh. DGD is very shy with new people but otherwise a bubbly happy child . It's so sad to see them all upset like this .

Jalima Sun 18-Sep-16 22:45:44

w h y d o p e o p l e k e e p p o s t i n g l i k e t h i s ?

durhamjen Sun 18-Sep-16 22:54:31

My grandson is on the autistic spectrum, icanhandthemback.
The inspections are good because they can see why he is on the spectrum. I was there as well, as I teach him more than his mother. He's 14, by the way, and we stick to a curriculum that suits him and his interests.
He's learning about the American constitution because of the elections over there, and the Civil War with his mum. He knows far more than either of us about what happened where, because he loves driving his truck simulator all over the states. He knows the capitals of each state as well as the cities with the biggest populations. He likes lists.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Sep-16 10:05:58

W h e n h a s a n y o n e p o s t e d l i k e t h i s j a l i m a ?

barbarafyles Mon 19-Sep-16 10:52:02

Poor little thing will be feeling absolutely exhausted after attending school for a full day, so she need peace and love when she comes home. As an EY teacher of 30years I often came across a situation where a child thought that once they started school they had to stay there. Make sure your little one understands that you'll be coming to collect her later. This may sound obvious to you. but you're not an exhausted four year old. More great ideas here www.mykidsmatter.co.uk
...and here
www.lulu.com/shop/barbara-fyles/i-dont-want-my-baby-to-start-school/paperback/product-22536119.html

SusieB50 Sun 11-Dec-16 18:24:00

Just thought I would do a quick update on my DGD and her unhappy start to school in September. Well she has now settled well, starting to read and says has made 4 friends ! She doesn't talk much apparently but teacher says she seems happy enough. She still says she wants to stay at home every Monday but no tears . Thank you all for your support and suggestions .?