Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Would you mention it or not?

(97 Posts)
Zengran Tue 01-Nov-16 15:04:33

We live on an over 55s complex and have relatively new neighbours (3 months). The thing is, their bedroom is next to our lounge and I can hear everything when they are having sex. They go to bed much earlier than us. We live in a very small bungalow and there is no other room where I can't hear it.I find it embarrassing that I am privy to such personal sounds but don't know what to do about it. Turning the telly up doesn't really mask it!!

Ana Wed 02-Nov-16 18:56:03

Couldn't you just have had a quiet word with your neighbour, NannyKasey? It seems rather extreme to go straight to the council...hmm

rosesarered Wed 02-Nov-16 19:10:36

....and I wonder what the letter said? grin

NannyKasey Wed 02-Nov-16 20:01:26

I tried banging on the connecting wall and ringing the doorbell to talk to my neighbour but because he's almost a recluse and has issues with debt collectors knocking the door he wouldn't answer It went on for 7 weeks, I got fed up going to work looking like a zombie as I hadn't slept! As a divorced almost 50 year old I was tempted to stick a note thru the door asking the male lodger to come round to me once he finished with her grin. The final straw was when they woke me three times at 2am, 4am and 530am. I spoke to his neighbours on the other side and they also contacted the council

cazthebookworm Wed 02-Nov-16 22:38:49

This is so funny.........it could have been me once upon a time, yes Gillybob, people actually do make those sort of noises sometimes. It's called ecstasy, and I don't mean the drug. thlgrin

Eloethan Wed 02-Nov-16 23:54:01

Yes, this thread has been great fun.

farmgran Thu 03-Nov-16 08:02:19

Really funny thread, 'The galloping major' idea is my favourite!

Auntieflo Thu 03-Nov-16 08:23:26

Since this thread has been going, I have had the advertising banners going across for 'Erectile Disfunction'.Not something this gran needs really blush

Zengran Thu 03-Nov-16 08:44:54

Thank you all so much for your comments!! I have certainly had a good chuckle at your responses! I am going to go with the " Aren't these walls thin!" line when I next see her. wink

annodomini Thu 03-Nov-16 09:00:23

Find their phone number - if you can. Ring them up when things are getting really rowdy and tell them you heard a noise and thought there might be a burglar in their house.

gillybob Thu 03-Nov-16 09:29:58

Love it anno grin and if she comes to to the door say "Oh dear I thought you must have an intruder" wink

BBbevan Thu 03-Nov-16 09:49:04

Zengran how was last night? And did you put any of our suggestions into practice ?

Penstemmon Thu 03-Nov-16 13:30:18

haha! This thread has reminded me of a couple of situations when living in an Edwardian semi. Next door was converted to flats. One young chap used to seduce his women with Human League songs..and I got to know the order of the songs before things moved to the bedroom (my bedroom was next to his sitting room).

At one stage two teachers from the local high school rented the flat. He was a PE teacher and she taught drama.... DD2 had the room next to their bedroom and complained about the noises she could hear.shockluckily she was quite young and innocent.
Some 4 years later she went on to be taught by both of them and eventually she used to babysit for them. grin

gillybob Thu 03-Nov-16 13:42:19

That made me laugh Penstemmon and made me remember a couple of teachers from school (he was called Mr Gibbon) I nearly said that he was a PE teacher too better not say hers in case they eventually married grin

When she walked into the room we used to sing (just loud enough to hear) DO,DO,DO THE FUNKY GIBBON blush

EmilyHarburn Thu 03-Nov-16 13:53:44

Get a very large bookcase installed and fill it with books.

Penstemmon Thu 03-Nov-16 13:54:41

Oh we thought we were so clever and funny at school! grin

We were awful to a history teacher ( to be honest she was not a very goodeacher, but we took advantage shock and i recall crawling out of the room, I think unnoticed, then knocking on the door, coming in and apologising for being late1...why? because I could and I was stoopid!

gillybob Thu 03-Nov-16 14:04:21

grin Penstemmon Well ours was a very boring, strict all girls grammar so we had to get the laughs where we could.

I remember being dared to be lifted out get out of the window of the first floor language block and step onto a narrow roof ledge just before a French lesson. Then I was to press my nose up against the window and beg to be let in (in French of course) .... Oh the shame..... thinking that I actually did it.

Penstemmon Thu 03-Nov-16 14:13:07

Haha..good job we were not in the same school Gillybob !
I was at the local comp! Though before that I was at a Quaker Boarding School where we entertained ourselves by stalking different teachers and keeping copious notes on what they did... whch was not very much. We must have been so irritating!blush

gillybob Thu 03-Nov-16 17:56:24

Good job indeed Penstemmon although tbh, I didn't take much encouragement to do anything daft. grin

A Quaker boarding school indeed. There must be a book in there somewhere. When I was young I dreamt about being in a boarding school as they always sounded so fantastically exciting.

Penstemmon Sat 05-Nov-16 23:17:51

It was in Darlington..not that far from you grin

Synonymous Sun 06-Nov-16 00:00:08

So funny - if it isn't happening next door to you! Have to admit that in reading this thread I have had such a good giggle whilst sitting in bed next to a snoring DH. In trying not to wake him up I stuffed my hanky into my mouth and tried so hard to laugh quietly that I actually snorted and the tears were running down my cheeks. blush
It actually reminded me of our early years when someone moved into the next flats to us and it was really beyond a joke. One night when it was just too startling DH turfed me out of our bed and proceeded to bash the bed head on to the wall in sync until it stopped. It never started again! Sometimes actions speak louder than words! grin

wilygran Tue 22-Nov-16 11:14:57

Zengran, did you ever get the chance to speak to your neighbour? I'd love to know if the noisy bonking stopped!