Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My dad's elderly neighbour. Dilemma.

(32 Posts)
gillybob Wed 16-Nov-16 14:28:50

Quite a long post warning.

I have a real dilemma concerning my dads elderly neighbour. She is well into her 90's and I feel that she might be being neglected by her family. Not badly used/abused just not cared for.

She has 1 son and a DiL (a lot younger than my dad) who live about 2 miles away from her in a VERY posh house in a VERY nice village. the son seems to visit once or maybe twice a week but only stays a few minutes at a time. DiL is never with him and I would think she only sees her grandchildren once in a blue moon. One of these "visits" is when he brings her a pile of frozen ready meals for her carer to pop into the microwave. He drives a very flash car and is not what you would call "approachable".

More and more recently (and it has got worse since my mum died) she is banging through the wall for my dad. All times of the day and night.He goes round to her and she tells him she is hungry or that her carer is late or that she hasn't seen her son for weeks or whatever. Sometimes she asks him to turn the heating up as her bungalow is cold (it often is). So he resets the timer for her but mysteriously it goes back down.The bungalows have all recently been modernised by the local authority to a very high standard but hers remains without wallpaper, curtains (her son has pinned a sheet up at her bedroom window) etc. despite the tenants being given a grant towards redecoration.

I take my dad shopping twice a week (at least) and always ask if she needs anything. sometimes she asks me to get a few things but then never offers the money. She says that her son keeps her money for her and says that she will need to ask him to pay me (he never does although to be fair we very rarely see him). she says that she has a very good pension income and that her late husband left her quite well off (her words) but to look at her you would think she was destitute. She used to be a very tidy old lady. Always had her hair done nice and wore nice clothes. now she is looking very untidy and just unloved. I know she is lonely and will try anything to get me or my dad to go in. Her sight isn't very good but she is quite with it and has a very good sense of humour.

Last night she collared me when I was dropping my dad off and said she was hungry. Her carer hadn't turned up (so she said) and that the number she had for her son had changed (it seems to have as my dad tried to ring him). She then asked me to go to a very specific shop and get her 3 pies. I must be mad, but thinking about my own late grandma, I drove to the shop and got her the pies. £4.70 (me and my dad went halves) no money offered, although she did offer me a pie. grin

What (if anything) can I do? I don't want to cause trouble (for her or my dad) but feel worried that she is bothering my dad so often now that he is getting a bit fed up. I am also worried that her son might be enjoying her money but not giving her what she needs although to be fair I can't prove anything. i would really appreciate any advice.

Fairydoll2030 Wed 07-Dec-16 20:11:54

If she is 'with it' as you say, you could suggest Meals On Wheels. She might need help with applying, but it's relatively straight forward to do. This would ensure she has at least one good meal a day.

Age Concern could arrange to have a volunteer visitor to call in and chat with her which might alleviate some of her lonelines.

ajanela Sat 31-Dec-16 20:50:45

Sadly in many areas meals on wheels are frozen meals in the freezer her son stocks up. Rememv

GracesGranMK2 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:57:13

I really don't think you should be so judgemental about the son. I am afraid you can have no idea what he is or isn't doing to help his mother and it appears there are already carers going in who will know a great deal more about the position than you do.

It is really of no consequence if her son lives in a "VERY posh house in a VERY nice village". Or how many times he visits. It sounds as if her has Power of Attorney and if so that implies some loss of capacity as does the fact that she cannot cook her own meal. Being the main support to anyone is something you can only get wrong however much you try to get it right and it sounds as if she may well have some form of dementia. People with dementia are, as one of my mother's carer once commented, very convincing. This is because they believe what they are telling you but that does not make it true.

Over Christmas I had a call from some friends of my mothers - neighbours from long ago, as she had thanked them for the flowers they sent her when they rang. They had actually sent her a cardigan. The very kind friend said they had noticed she "gets a little muddled" and seemed very shocked when I explained that she had been diagnosed with dementia five years ago. Mum has managed very well and she has always been a kind person but it has not stopped her complaining to a neighbour that I was trying to put her in a home - the complete opposite of what we have been doing. I also don't let mum have too much cash as, as well as squirrelling it away someone could take it from her - she wouldn't really be able to work out what should be paid - or she might well forget to pay someone or pay the wrong amount as the value of money has now disappeared so most of her bills are paid directly by me from her bank account including the Wiltshire Farm Foods frozen meals which have allowed her to stay in her home and care for herself up 'till now.

You say she used to be very tidy - so did my mother. She still has her hair done each week but sometimes she has dinner down her cardigan. It is extremely difficult to get her to let me do her washing as she believes she still can. I used to insist on finding her a clean one and then just taking the other away but it is verging on cruel and who cares but me and the outside world. To be honest I would rather she wasn't made anxious and I can scoop things up often enough to take them and wash them so that we stay on the right side of not brilliant but OK. It is hugely difficult and he is almost certainly doing the best he can even if it is not what you believe you would do in the same circumstances.

You ask what you can do. Firstly, your concern is with your father. It sounds as if these are local authority houses so it may be worth contacting them - they may decide to put in more care which would probably help. Otherwise you could ask the son if there is anything you can do to help. If you don't want to do that then I suggest you leave well alone other than, as I said, taking responsibility for your father.

rosesarered Sun 01-Jan-17 23:08:03

gilly I think that you and your Father are doing all that is possible and she does have food in the house and carer visits.You could ask SS why she has no wallpaper or curtains [ an old sheet at the window]and perhaps they could check that she does have some cash in the house?It's really doubtful that you can do much more, but you may feel better if you bring these concerns out in the open.
We rarely know all the facts about family situations.

rosesarered Sun 01-Jan-17 23:09:45

does she have proper furniture [even if a bit worn?]She is probably turning the heating down, trying to save money [even if she has no need to do this, many do.]

GracesGranMK2 Mon 02-Jan-17 10:48:26

Although gillybob, you could mention to the relevant council officer that there is no wallpaper on the walls, etc., you cannot ask 'why'. It is actually none of your business. Let someone know about the situation and how it affects your father and then let them get on with it unless, of course, you are prepared to offer help. It is no criticism if you are not; you may well have enough to do looking after your father.