Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas lights outside

(40 Posts)
kittylester Sat 19-Nov-16 08:08:53

We've never had Christmas lights outside our house sad but we are going to look for some this afternoon.

Do you have them? How are they powered? Do you leave them up all year? Ideas, suggestions, downsides please.

whitewave Sat 19-Nov-16 08:20:37

Did one year, years ago. Put up a Christmas tree with red lights. Looked quite nice, but was too much like hard work so haven't bothered since. Lazy lumps!

DaphneBroon Sat 19-Nov-16 08:20:41

Oh kitty that reminds me of one of the most blushblush moments of my life.
Some years ago I had put outdoor lights on a big pyracantha up the wall outside OUR front door and was on the phone to a neighbour who is also one of my best friends and a teaching colleague.
Without thinking what I was saying I told her I had put lights in my bush.
Apparently she was incapable of speech and nearly had a major Tena lady incident as she relayed that to her husband.
Ever since I get remarks about walking funnily in the festive season.
I still cringe!! gringrin

ninathenana Sat 19-Nov-16 08:21:26

We've only ever had a string of icicle type white lights hanging from the guttering. We bought some specially made plastic clips to attach them with that hook over the guttering. They are plugged in in side with the cable poked through an air brick. We don't leave them up all year. I'm not sure H will be able to hang them this year. Poor old fella is not as agile as he used to be.

ninathenana Sat 19-Nov-16 08:22:39

Daphne gringrin

annsixty Sat 19-Nov-16 08:32:29

Yes we do and I love them. Until last year we had a cotoneaster under the bay window and we had white lights all through it.it looked lovely. They are going all through the two large bamboos which are at right angles to the same window this year. We also have icicles along the guttering of the dining room windows. We have some in the back garden as well but they are solar so not so effective in winter. They stay all year but the front ones are only for the Christmas season.
My S and GS put them up last year as we are now past the climbing stage.

oldgoat Sat 19-Nov-16 08:33:06

Our neighbours also had lights in the pyracantha up their house wall - well actually, it was on fire and caused some excitement when the fire brigade turned up to extinguish the flames. The family loyally claimed it was a case of spontaneous combustion but we suspected a live dog-end dropped out of the window!

oldgoat Sat 19-Nov-16 08:38:50

We have some white fairy lights which we twine through the branches of the corkscrew hazel in our front garden. They look lovely but are almost impossible to remove because they get caught up in the twisty twigs. Won't be able to put them up for a while because it is still in full leaf and not showing any sign of dropping yet.

harrigran Sat 19-Nov-16 08:41:19

We have never had outdoor lights but I saw an alternative solution in DS's street a few years ago. The resident had moving pictures projected on to the garage doors.

whitewave Sat 19-Nov-16 08:43:02

Lady across the road has her Christmas tree up in her living room already. Blue and white lights.

M0nica Sat 19-Nov-16 08:48:55

We have quite a wide house and have one of those Vee shaped candelabra things in each window, inside. Last year we decided to extend the lighting across the whole width of the house to include the integral garage so we put lights in the climbing rose that grows over the garage door. We put them up for the duration and took them down with the rest of the decorations. A garage door is not very high and I was able to put the lights up and take them down just by standing on the kitchen step stool.

kittylester Sat 19-Nov-16 08:51:30

Thank you all for your replies.

Db this was a serious enquiry - stop making me laugh!!grin

Greyduster Sat 19-Nov-16 09:02:29

We've never had outdoor lights because we never had any way of plugging them in, but I do love them. We always decorate the front window with indoor lights, a christingle arch and a Santa's Workshop that lights up (yeah, I know, but it's only once a year and GS likes it!). Go for it, kitty and post a picture when they're up!

Candlefran Sat 19-Nov-16 09:05:04

We put some up in one of our trees. I bless the day I found a specially designed pole that saves having to balance on an unsteady ladder. Made the task so much easier.

kittylester Sat 19-Nov-16 10:30:05

We have no trees at the front of the house or we might have had lights tears ago sad

We do have really tall eaves on the one side and a small pointy bit (not eaves) at the front. The front garden is granite chips withgroups of pots. I really quite fancy a lit reindeer blush but I doubt I'll get dh to agree and I'd never dare tell Mrs Bucket mum! I'm slightly shock that I'm even thinking that!

shysal Sat 19-Nov-16 10:33:03

Has anyone tried the laser outdoor lights that are advertised? They look effective and simple with no ladder climbing!
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Laser-Light-Star-Light-Garden-Shower-Show-UK-EU-US-AU-PLUG-Xmas-Projector-New-/302134434407?var=&hash=item46589d9a67:m:m36_bU85PL6CtaYh8ALdhvQ

Juggernaut Sat 19-Nov-16 10:37:02

We have small LED bright white lights. They're battery operated, with a waterproof battery box so we put them on the trees at the far end of the garden. The batteries last well, with the lights being on for 6 hours a day for about three weeks!
They're made by Premier Decorations Ltd.

Greyduster Sat 19-Nov-16 10:43:37

If you'd particularly like a tree, what about one of the lit cherry blossoms that you can stand in the front garden? We pass a house which has one near to Christmas time and it is very effective. I thought it was a real tree with lights on it, but it's not there during the year.

kittylester Sat 19-Nov-16 14:17:31

I'd be worried that it would walk, Gd!! We have a pub at the top of the road which seems to mean high jinx at about 11.30 in the run up to Christmas!

rosesarered Sat 19-Nov-16 14:41:32

Oh, so it was YOU DaphneB who caused such hilarity on the forum last Christmas with the comment about a lighted bush.grin

Purpledaffodil Sat 19-Nov-16 14:54:03

I put lights along porch gutter using those special clips. We plug them in by passing wire through front window. The rubber seal accommodates the thin wire beautifully.
Where my brother lives in Canada there is always a socket intended for outdoor lights in the hall coat cupboard.
? DaphneBroon The only time I ever complained to a noisy music making neighbour I said "Your throbbing organ is going right through me" blush

Bellanonna Sat 19-Nov-16 15:00:06

Oh you two have really made me laugh ?

Purpledaffodil Sat 19-Nov-16 15:06:45

Shysal I have seen those laser lights in our local garden centre. They cost £50 so I would be a bit worried about 99p ones. Cheaper to replace though if they got pinched from your front garden. smile

kittylester Sat 19-Nov-16 16:20:06

I think we have given up for this year! We decided that permanent ones round the eaves etc are a much better idea than anything on the plants and, as we are struggling to find an electrician just to change the light fitting in the kitchen, we feel there is not a cat in hell's chance of getting lights done before Christmas. sad

Could someone check in about August that we have started looking for someone to do it. Many thanks!!

shysal Sat 19-Nov-16 16:45:28

Purpledaffodil the lights are not 99p, that was for another accessory on the drop down list. I found one for £18.88 and have ordered it for DD1 and 3 DGCs. They enjoy decorating their current house from December 1st. Their controlling father used to make them wait until Christmas eve, but since he left them they go over the top! I hope the lights will not be a disappointment.