Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Will politics ruin our Christmas?

(89 Posts)
pancakes Wed 30-Nov-16 16:01:56

I've been burying my head in the sand a bit on this but with December beginning tomorrow should probably face my fears. Christmas is to be spent in a big family gathering as usual. But this year I am seriously worried about arguments ruining the whole shebang. Brexit has revealed huge divisions within our family, and created a lot of bitterness which we have tried to heal but I fear it's only plasters over the cracks. My own view is that what's done is done and we are stuck with it whether we like it or not so let's move on. But that's not stopped blame being thrown around along with all sorts of accusations and I worry that it's all so raw a bust-up is unavoidable, especially when a few drinks have been downed. Anyone else in this position? And how can I stop politics from ruining my Christmas?

paddyann Thu 01-Dec-16 12:00:21

My family are all supporters of Scottish Independence except for my english son in law,we always spend Christmas with them and his parents come along too,we decided not to talk politics in respect for his family .His mother in particular gets very agitated whenever independence is mentioned .According to my daughter.This year the pressure is off as son in law is newly converted to independence after watching the fiasco that is Westminster this year.We still wont discuss it though ,for his mums sake.

pollyperkins Thu 01-Dec-16 13:11:09

Im just hoping to forget abut brexit and more importantly Trump over Christmas. I am really worried about the future though.
All the family have the same opinions on these topics fortunately expect sons MiL and I hope she doesn't start making provocative comments! I think everyone will ignore it though.

radicalnan Thu 01-Dec-16 14:52:39

Tell them they can only argue for the opposition, this will make them see the other person's point of view. Also hide the booze until they have gone home. They might not stay long in a dry house.

grammargran Thu 01-Dec-16 15:07:55

Aren't we lucky though that we are able to discuss things the way we can without being 'shopped' to secret police as is still happening in parts of the world, and what happened years ago in the 30s and 40s in Germany when children reported their own parents to the authorities. We take so much for granted in this right little, tight little island of ours. Luckily all our family, from top to bottom, are Remainers - the main point of division is Jeremy Corbyn ............

Yorkshiregel Thu 01-Dec-16 15:22:36

Turn the tv off. Stop the papers. Tell them all before they come that politics IS BANNED while they are at your house. That should help.

We will be too busy celebrating Christmas to even think about politics.....that can wait until later.

Yorkshiregel Thu 01-Dec-16 15:28:34

Norose4 give your 92 yr old her very own bottle of something she enjoys and she will probably sleep through the day! Oblivious to what is going on around her and happy in her own little world.

FarNorth Thu 01-Dec-16 15:39:06

Is the gathering to be at your house, pancakes?

If so, tell everyone that you are calling it off because you feel ill at thought of the arguments (as you told us you do).
They may, then, all promise individually not to mention the subject.

If it is not at your house, go out for a refreshing walk if they get started.

minxie Thu 01-Dec-16 15:40:52

Simply tell them beforehand no politics allowed. If its in your house they should respect your wishes

Lewlew Thu 01-Dec-16 15:41:51

What is truly ironic is that the subjects of those dinner table discussions, eg Trump and co, Boris, Farage, Corbyn, Cameron, May, Sturgeon, Merkel, Juncker, et al

WILL BE HAVING AN AMAZING FREAKIN' CHRISTMAS with their nearest and dearest...and it will be posh, lavish, and with lots of expensive food, booze and gifts.

So why would anyone want to descend into arguments over them when they really could give a toss about how their policies affect our holidays, financial situations and family dynamics? Does not matter if you are comfortable, a JAM family, or suffering illness (physical or mental). You will NOT be discussed at their celebrations.

Please, please... think of yourselves and your loved ones and friends FIRST this holiday season. No one in power ever will. And I hate to say it, as I admire the Queen, but the royal family are so removed from real life situations outside their charities, that we will be the last subject at their dinner table at Sandringham (or wherever they are this year).

Love your family, and if there are 'deplorables', don't invite them and get on with the people you want to be with.

flowers

grandMattie Thu 01-Dec-16 16:04:30

pancakes how I feel for you.

As a child, our Christmas as always spoiled by pressing my father's buttons and he would furiously drag us and my mum [in tears] home. Every single -frigging- year! It leaves me with a sense of dread in big family gatherings... I hide in a corner and try to disappear!
Fortunaely, my DH is lovely and we never have had anything like that since we got married. Have to say it helps never having the SiL and her -horrible- delightful/perfect brood, nor any of my own siblings whom I compare to the Taliban! grin
Do lay down the law - it IS your house and you can lay down the ground rules. If they break them after a few drinks, just leave the room and go for a walk, listen to the radio, talk to us on GN or something quite other until the disagreement has finished. all the best flowers

grandMattie Thu 01-Dec-16 16:04:55

the uncles pressing the buttons!!! confused

Lilyflower Thu 01-Dec-16 16:25:06

After the referendum my daughter was becoming very heated, vituperative and rude. However, she managed to cool down long enough to consider that she did not want bad relations with her family and suggested 'we' all cool down and agree not to discuss the matter. Hilarious considering that, firstly, it was she not we who was picking the sore' and, secondly, that her father and I voted differently from each other and neither of us has a cross word over it.

Considering that we bought her up to be rational and mature, not childish and rude it was a bit of a shock that she should start behaving in this manner at all. However, the whole issue along with the 'surprise' Conservative victory and Trump's election seem to have unleashed the spoilt toddler in many who should know better.

My advice about Christmas is to recall the old middle class 'law':- never talk about politics or religion in a social situation. This rule sits alongside 'never eat in the street' and when asked 'How are you?' only ever saying, 'Very well thank you,' even if your leg is falling off. Those oldies knew a thing or two.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 01-Dec-16 16:28:12

Lewlew I too am shocked that families will argue over politics on a Xmas day when families get together to enjoy themselves.I will be alone on xmas day so whoever has family around them on that day be grateful and count your blessings you have a family.Whatever your political views you can shout and scream as much as you like but all it will do is raise your blood pressure and possibly put you in an early grave.Is it worth it?

Nelliemoser Thu 01-Dec-16 16:31:31

This will only spoil your Christmas if you let it. So make rules that the subject is our of bounds.

However given my "advice" I have to say that all our family tend to hold very similar political views except DS's partner.

Not to mention that you should all your think yourselves be lucky to have a family gathering.
I don't get many of those.
grin sad

norose4 Thu 01-Dec-16 16:45:26

Yorkshiregel, thank you a great idea , very tempting! ?Cheers

Diddy1 Thu 01-Dec-16 17:07:11

No political or religious discussions here on Christmas Day thank you, there is so much else to discuss, so just have FUN.

Hattiehelga Thu 01-Dec-16 17:21:30

Refuse to join in any conversation which begins on the subject. State quite clearly that Christmas is not the time for political discussion. Stick to your statement and find something else to do.

Purpledaffodil Thu 01-Dec-16 17:31:38

Good point Lewlew. If the Christmas truce is threatened I shall point that out to the combatants. smile

Rinouchka Thu 01-Dec-16 17:43:46

sarahellenwhitney: well said!

This Christmas, we will have three of our 4 children and their little ones with us. They live far away from us and we hope to just enjoy being together. Cannot imagine letting politics spoil anything.
No politics, only love and fun!

NameChange2016 Thu 01-Dec-16 18:06:42

The scattering of my late mother's ashes was straight after the Brexit vote. My mother's brother is a UKIP voter and quite far right. He has upset a number of us before as the rest of us do not agree. The older sister (my aunt) was asked to ask him not to mention politics as it was not a suitable subject for the day.
He managed not to mention politics at all and in fact didn't speak to me once, which I was very happy about.
I think it is reasonable to write to/email all the people and say you do not want politics to be mentioned on this day. I think a fine for a charity of your choice is a great idea!

whitewave Thu 01-Dec-16 18:11:13

Blimey time and place springs to mind!!! Isn't it all about giving consideration to everyone else?

Jan51 Fri 02-Dec-16 07:31:07

No political discussion ever. My Dad always used to tell me that your politics are between you and the ballot paper. My husband and I don't even know how each other vote.

Lynnieg Fri 02-Dec-16 08:49:58

As a previous poster said, no politics, sex or religion discussed at the dinner table!
We are mainly teetotal in our family so that helps!

Mumsy Fri 02-Dec-16 09:05:41

To be quite blunt think yourself lucky you have a family gathering at xmas! regardless of any conflicting conversations. Theres thousands out there who crave a family xmas that have to spend it alone.

Anya Fri 02-Dec-16 09:10:16

We do all recognise I'm sure that having a family gathering at Christmas is a privilege not enjoyed by everyone.