Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Will politics ruin our Christmas?

(89 Posts)
pancakes Wed 30-Nov-16 16:01:56

I've been burying my head in the sand a bit on this but with December beginning tomorrow should probably face my fears. Christmas is to be spent in a big family gathering as usual. But this year I am seriously worried about arguments ruining the whole shebang. Brexit has revealed huge divisions within our family, and created a lot of bitterness which we have tried to heal but I fear it's only plasters over the cracks. My own view is that what's done is done and we are stuck with it whether we like it or not so let's move on. But that's not stopped blame being thrown around along with all sorts of accusations and I worry that it's all so raw a bust-up is unavoidable, especially when a few drinks have been downed. Anyone else in this position? And how can I stop politics from ruining my Christmas?

Jalima Sun 18-Dec-16 23:34:53

Why would anybody - anybody - want to spend the festive season discussing politics with their nearest and dearest?

Unbelievable!

Ankers Mon 19-Dec-16 00:29:10

Why would I want to spend precious time with people who could possibly vote for Trump? Life is too short

So, even if a person was just a possible Trump supporter, they are to be avoided?

Mumsy Sat 07-Jan-17 09:16:44

Why will Christmas 2017 be different after Brexit? .....no Brussels....

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:26:39

Sprouts?

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:29:27

We saw all the family over Christmas, all voted differently in the referendum but keep thoughts to ourselves, and at Christmas certainly never discuss politics.
At other times, politics talk may be on the cards, but done in a civil way.

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:30:40

There was talk of a shortage of sprouts this year ( the rumour mill) but there were loads everywhere that we looked.

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:32:28

Of course, out of spite, the EU may well hoard Brussels sprouts from now on and refuse to let us have them! They may say 'let them eat turnips!' grin

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:33:52

Do you have any inside info on this Mumsy ? grin

Ana Sat 07-Jan-17 12:36:48

We'll just have to grow our own. They probably won't let us call them 'Brussels' sprouts though...

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:43:43

I think I could live eithout them ( quite happily!)

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:44:30

What shall we call them from now on......

Ana Sat 07-Jan-17 12:48:50

British sprouts? grin

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:51:07

I like it! it keeps the b b theme going.