Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Toilets with children

(115 Posts)
singerann2017 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:04:18

I would just like to ask what other people think about pub and public toilets. Whilst out today a father took his two year old to the gents in the pub. But the little girl had access to see men using the urinals. Am I being too sensitive here. He could have asked for the key to the disabled loo at the end of the bar. My husband chose not to use the loo as he was very uncomfortable.

Ana Mon 16-Jan-17 21:28:21

That's what I said. How could she possibly know? It was just guesswork.

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 21:30:00

what was guess work? how old the child was? doesn't matter, still very young and taking her to a blokes toilets in the pub isn't what I'd do.

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 21:31:47

Need to rephrase that. A little girl shouldn't be taken into the blokes toilets in a pub.

BlueBelle Tue 17-Jan-17 06:08:51

Stillalive this was not the posters child she was speculating on the whole story she Imagined she was 2 she imagined the child was left alone while the dad peed It's really a non starter as the whole story is a What if and to be honest I m beginning to wonder if it was a made up story to stir
Anyway the vast majority of posters have no problem with the original question just a couple of rather judgemental posts

Jalima Tue 17-Jan-17 13:48:47

to be honest I m beginning to wonder if it was a made up story to stir
Thank goodness it is not just me and another poster who think there is something distinctly odd about this OP.

I find it very disturbing and am worried that many posters have put their own experiences and views on the thread.
Perhaps I worked in the wrong kind of job .....

Alima Tue 17-Jan-17 14:09:36

I just think there is something really not right with the thread title. Do children ever come as an optional extra with a toilet? Thought we were going upmarket when we got one with a soft-closing seat/lid.

Jalima Tue 17-Jan-17 14:28:43

Alima grin

notanan Tue 17-Jan-17 15:54:54

what was guess work? how old the child was? doesn't matter, still very young and taking her to a blokes toilets in the pub isn't what I'd do Okay, but what would you do instead?

BTW there have been a number of threads on MN about things like children sharing beds, masterbation/curiosity, what type of underware to buy for children etc.. which turned out to be from OPs who had unpleasant reasons for asking… and lots of posters gave details replies of what happens with their kids. I must admit it didn't occur to me that this could be one of those threads, I probably should be more alert/suspicious, but now that it's been mentioned it is possible. Whether it is or not, there are people who use parenting/grandparenting forums in that way sad

Bellanonna Tue 17-Jan-17 15:59:23

That's worrying, notanan☹️

Lewlew Tue 17-Jan-17 18:11:49

It's the OP's only posting if you do a search....unless I am doing that incorrectly. But she may be an innocent lurker, too, and embarrassed now to respond.

Still... odd! hmm

trisher Tue 17-Jan-17 23:54:56

I think this is a dodgy post, OP seems to know exactly what went on inside the gents but says her DH wouldn't go.
If it did happen I don't think there is anything wrong in it.
When I was teaching and took children swimming I would sometimes (if I couldn't find a staff member) go into the male changing room to hurry the boys along. I always banged on the door and shouted before went in and no one ever objected. If I hadn't done it some of the boys would probably still be there!

BlueBelle Wed 18-Jan-17 04:58:00

Trisher that made me laugh knowing my grandson and the toilet I think he'd still be on it if we didnt all keep yelling with crossed legs

Yorkshiregel Thu 19-Jan-17 14:58:25

I remember going in to a loo in France with an Aunt. She was most upset that men queued alongside women, and to cap it all there was a woman asking how many sheets you required. Also, has anyone ever visited one of those in France that stand on street corners? I was always afraid that the door would open whilst I was still sat on the throne.

stayanotherday Fri 20-Jan-17 20:49:45

This thread does sound a little strange. Jalima is just warning others in case the motive is inappropriate.