Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Buying a house short term....let me explain

(78 Posts)
bytheway Thu 19-Jan-17 18:04:13

My stepdaughter and her 2 children have been living with us for 3 months now following the death of her husband.

We live in the north of England and they until his death they lived 200 miles away.

She is fortunate in that after her bereavement leave her employers have found her a suitable job in our area.
She has now had her house up for sale for 2 months with no luck, she also has an eye on a house to buy in our area when her house sells.

Unfortunately, things at our house have become very stressful (particularly for me as her step mother) having 3 extra people in the house and i have been getting very ill with it.

My husband has come up with an idea, which suits his daughter and me and i'm wondering what you all think?

This is the idea - me and hubby buy the house she wants, we would have to take a an approx 80k mortgage (which shouldn't be a problem)Step-D and GC move in. We agree to pay the mortgage until her house sells (as she is mortgaged to the hilt and cannot afford any further rent or mortgage at the moment)then when her house sells, she buys the new house off us at cost price.

This seems such an easy solution so i'm sure i must be missing something. Can anyone tell me what the potential problems might be?

TIA

Madmeg Mon 23-Jan-17 02:17:02

I would buy the house for her. If things go wrong and she falls short on money, you can always sell it again, with costs of course, but it seems that wouldn't be the end of the world for you financially. I assume you have investigated a mortgage for yourselves as there will be restrictions due to age for most mortgage lenders. But assuming that has been agreed, there will be no stamp duty to pay (as some have intimated). Capital Gains Tax could be an issue, but if you buy in joint names with your husband you would not pay any CGT unless the house rose in value by more than £21,000 in the year. I am assuming all would be settled within a year. And once she is in a position to buy the house herself, yes, there will be some fees to pay, but if you use the same solicitor a second time and it is fairly soon, they shouldn't need to re-do the searches and the fees should be fairly low.

This is a lovely gesture to make to your DIL and her kiddies, and I hope it works out well for you all. They have suffered a terrible tragedy and need all the help they can get. Yes, things can go wrong, but they have already gone badly wrong for this young mum, and she deserves a helping hand. You won't regret doing this for them. It will give them a new start in life that seems to be so important for them right now.

TheresaHill Mon 23-Jan-17 10:05:23

If anyone is buying the property for the first time, then it is difficult to determine which strategy to follow. Most of the real estate agent recommends to buy a home, if anyone is planning to live around 5-6 years. So that when it comes time to sell, one must not lose money by not being able to regain the initial costs of that property. One of my friends recently purchased Long Beach NY short sale with all the facilities like parking and water view.