Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Comfortable but smart boots

(67 Posts)
Antonia Mon 30-Jan-17 05:55:13

Can anyone recommend a brand of really comfortable but reasonably smart ankle boots? For years I have only worn Naot boots and bought them from a German supplier on EBay, but unfortunately they no longer deliver to France. I have tried other brands in the past and abandoned them as they are just too uncomfortable to walk in. I have quite wide feet.

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Jan-17 10:59:21

Ah, I just noticed the word smart. My fake Uggs are disqualified. If they were human, they'd be in a gurning tournament.

Luckygirl Mon 30-Jan-17 11:00:10

www.rieker.co.uk/rieker-ladies-c2/rieker-ladies-boots-c84/rieker-ladies-ankle-boots-c85/rieker-z6784-35-red-combination-boot-p4750

I bought these. Very comfortable.

Mamie Mon 30-Jan-17 11:00:58

As I said upthread I think Amazon France is the place to order brands like Hotter; returns are so easy as well.
I don't think you can buy from Primark on line, can you?

lucky77 Mon 30-Jan-17 11:05:28

Van Dal have the best comfy boots and they are fashionable, they are wide fitting too, sale on at the moment

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Jan-17 11:08:24

I did once have (okay, I admit it, they're still on the premises in case of emergency) a pair of sturdy Clarks black riding boots, which were comfy, non-slip and, I thought, very smart. I wore them to work once on a snowy day and my boss said "Oh, I used to have a pair of those. Very practical, even if they haven't got an ounce of style".

Perdita33 Mon 30-Jan-17 11:41:58

I have 2 pairs of Ecco boots, both bought on-line from their outlet, they're great. Also love Hotter. I've found that my feet have spread with age and I now buy a size larger

GranJan60 Mon 30-Jan-17 11:47:32

I like Rieker too - very comfortable and they sell them in France, although they are German.

kathyd Mon 30-Jan-17 11:53:28

I wear Rohde mules all of the time and they are so comfortable. They are German and deliver to France. I haven't tried their boots though as after two knee ops I find shoes and boots difficult to wear.

GrammaH Mon 30-Jan-17 11:57:50

"Fly" boots - so comfy! I have 3 long pairs & an ankle length pair & it's like walking on air. I get mine on Amazon

Emelle Mon 30-Jan-17 12:15:32

I have had some lovely and comfortable boots from www.moshulu.co.uk.Also had loafers and sandals and just debating whether to get some boots for next year in the sale.

supermum48 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:47:15

I bought some Hotter ankle boots and they are comfortable but when I walk in them they knock against my ankles. I find myself avoiding wearing them. Somebody suggested it might be because my ankles are quite slim so the boots don't fit snugly. Has anybody else had this problem?

Willow3 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:58:54

Van Dal shoes and boots are brilliant and do wide fit. Quite expensive but good in sales.

pollyperkins Mon 30-Jan-17 13:05:57

I also like my m&s foorglove boots, wide fitting , smart (theyve been much admired) - and comfortBle

Jan51 Mon 30-Jan-17 13:42:41

I often buy my boots from Shoe Shop.com (Pavers) but the most comfortable ones that I wear all the time came from Shoe Zone £9.99 and they are into their 3rd year.

Morgana Mon 30-Jan-17 13:57:44

I have problems with left foot. Bunion and hammer toes
For moment have decided against op
Great problems getting any footwear. Would hotter boots be a good idea?

Antonia Mon 30-Jan-17 14:08:54

Wow, thank you all for such a lot of information. I've just ordered a pair of Footglove boots from M&S France, and gone for a size larger than usual so hopefully I can get a couple of pairs of socks on too.

harrigran Mon 30-Jan-17 14:41:51

My boots are Gabor, Fitflop and M&S footglove and they are all wide and comfortable.

wilygran Mon 30-Jan-17 16:40:35

Rohde bought online from footwear4you at discount price. Earth Spirit from TKMaxx though I guess that's not much use to you in France. I haven't tried to source the brand online. Good luck!!

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 16:45:28

Iam64 do Timberland have a removable insole? the orthotics I have been prescribed take up quite a bit of room.

Grannyknot Mon 30-Jan-17 16:52:18

Lucky I have the same boots, excepting colour, mine are blue. I'm crazy about them smile I wear them all the time.

My favourite boots for the past 15 years now beginning to look a bit past it, are also Rieker.

EmilyHarburn Mon 30-Jan-17 17:22:44

Antonia are any of these OK?
www.widerfitshoes.co.uk/

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 17:28:15

Unfortunately Van Dal are not wide enough now to take the orthotics.

EmilyHarburn I bought a pair of the widerfit shoes which are roomy but they don't do half sizes which I really need, and the leather is quite hard and doesn't seem to be 'breaking in'.
Loretta seem quite good but I haven't got the boots.

Elegran Mon 30-Jan-17 17:29:21

Widerfit shoes (by DB shoes) take orthotics and have removable insoles.

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 17:38:29

Yes, they have two removable insoles for variable depth but I keep putting shoe cream on and rubbing it in well and they are still quite hard.

Penstemmon Mon 30-Jan-17 17:41:16

I have some v comfortable boots by www.sanita.com/ Flat, ankle, furlined but water repellent suede. Did perfectly on a recent trip to Norway!