Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Does anyone find this odd/creepy?

(42 Posts)
Lindill49 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:50:25

A friend of ours lost his wife (mid 60s) just before Christmas. They had cruises booked and it turns out rather than cancel he's taking his estranged daughter with him in April in an inside cabin and she's leaving hubby to look after the kids for a fortnight. And he's also going in June- don't know who with yet. I'm afraid it makes my skin crawl. AIBU?

harrigran Sun 05-Feb-17 11:55:37

Yes I think you ABU, why shouldn't he take DD ? Probably a chance to relive memories and console each other.

merlotgran Sun 05-Feb-17 11:56:19

He's making up with his estranged daughter by taking her on a cruise?

I don't think that's creepy at all. He is attempting to fill a huge gap in his life in a nice way by the look of it.

tanith Sun 05-Feb-17 11:56:43

What is creepy about it? Unless you suspect something untoward is going on with the daughter? Whats the significance of an 'inside cabin'pray?

Lindill49 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:01:00

Inside cabin is confining and cramped. Sharing with your father?? I just couldn't imagine going on a holiday booked for the two of us - surely a decent interval of mourning would be appropriate??

henetha Sun 05-Feb-17 12:05:29

I find it hard to feel anything creepy about this. It's not ideal to be sharing an inside cabin, (a bit cramped) but apart from that I think it's fine.

Ana Sun 05-Feb-17 12:07:38

No, not creepy, and not really anyone else's business.

trisher Sun 05-Feb-17 12:09:51

What's creepy about a dad taking his daughter on a holiday? Cruise cancellation policies differ tremendously and he could be looking at losing 50% or even more of his money. My friend regularly took her adult son on holiday because her DH didn't like to fly and they shared a room, was that creepy?

Linsco56 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:27:50

Not the least bit creepy. My DH wouldn't hesitate to share a room with our DD and would be shocked if anyone were to think it creepy.

They will still be in mourning and this holiday will probably give them time together to share memories of their wife and mother. Mourning doesn't have to be all sackcloth and ashes. Everyone gets through it in their own way.

Charleygirl Sun 05-Feb-17 12:31:17

Not at all creepy- as others have said, it would be a lot of money to lose so why not take his daughter?

sunseeker Sun 05-Feb-17 12:37:02

When we had a property in Spain my sister in law would regularly share a room with her brother - nothing creepy or untoward, just practical.

Elrel Sun 05-Feb-17 12:47:53

I hope they have a good time!
In a lovely quirky hotel in Kent DS booked a 'family suite' which turned out to be huge double bed in one room, long narrow room with 2 singles end to end in another. We were only there for a weekend. Sun shone, sea and sands lovely, hotel staff friendly and obliging. No chance to change rooms, popular hotel was full.
Two young GDs liked their luxurious double and son and I shrugged and slept in the 'passageway room' single beds. It had been assumed that we were a couple with 2 children rather than mother and son. Snoring was our only problem, modesty was preserved.

Marmight Sun 05-Feb-17 12:56:41

As others have said, why not. A great opportunity to mourn and to talk.
Some years ago DD and her husband visited from Oz. SiL, an architect as was DH, had never been to Paris so they took off for 3 days to 'look at buildings'. ( a euphemism for eating and drinking probably). They got a surprise at the hotel as they had been allocated a double bed. DH did put his foot down about that. SiL was very tall (and young) and DH was very short and not so younggrin, so it was a case of 'The Odd Couple'. DH took DD1 to Lisbon when she was in her twenties and they shared a room; she had to wear earplugs ?

nanaK54 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:56:58

Not in the least creepy and I wonder why you consider it to be any of your business. The line about him also going in June but you don't know who with....yet shows an unhealthy interest in my humble.
Good luck to them I say

vampirequeen Sun 05-Feb-17 12:58:37

I don't see anything wrong with it. What constitutes a decent period of mourning? Maybe the death of his wife and her mother have made them realise that life is too short to be estranged from family. .

Time away from the distractions of normal life seems a wonderful way to rekindle the dad/daughter relationship.

Jalima Sun 05-Feb-17 13:13:28

Oh dear, we shared a cabin with daughter on a cruise otherwise she would not have been able to afford to go.
It was a cabin for four people.
Are we creepy?

Jalima Sun 05-Feb-17 13:14:46

yes, like Elrel, snoring was the only problem!

dogsmother Sun 05-Feb-17 13:16:49

No problem at all! Sad you think that way ?

Jalima Sun 05-Feb-17 13:18:45

of course, if she estranged and this is an attempt at reconciliation I hope they don't end up arguing .....

Rigby46 Sun 05-Feb-17 13:32:22

Hummm - I wouldn't want an inside cabin on my own, let alone with my father. But I can understand how some would do it to save money and understand how others might find it odd ( but not creepy). I think Jalima's last post is spot on....

Jalima Sun 05-Feb-17 13:33:24

Perhaps they could upgrade to an outside cabin? Could she offer to pay the extra?

Jalima Sun 05-Feb-17 13:34:41

me again, random thoughts!

Perhaps if they contacted the cruise company and explained the circumstances they may get a free upgrade? Or - if it is not fully booked, then two cabins?

ginny Sun 05-Feb-17 13:36:21

Inside or outside cabin can both have single beds, so I don't see a problem. A good chance to build their relationship. Maybe they will both snore and drown each other out.

Anniebach Sun 05-Feb-17 13:38:30

I hope they have a lovely holiday

Jalima Sun 05-Feb-17 14:25:36

Poor man, he needs a break.