Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I only want to buy a tablespoon!

(61 Posts)
Craftycat Tue 07-Feb-17 11:24:34

Just an ordinary tablespoon- maybe 2. I don't want a tablespoon measure- I have several.
I just want a plain metal tablespoon. It doesn't seem much to ask really.
I have looked in every kitchen shop in every town I have shopped in for the last year or so. I have looked online- I can buy 12 for about £30 but I only want one or 2.
Every site I have looked at wants to sell me lovely coloured sets of measuring spoons. I have those but I like a proper tablespoon that gets down to the bottom of the flour or sugar container.

Anybody know where I can get one please? If you have a local shop they may do mail order if I ring them & ask nicely (I can do nicely!) or I may have a branch near here (Surrey/ Kent/ Sussex borders) that I have missed.
I'm putting my faith is Grans- they never let you down.

AlieOxon Tue 07-Feb-17 11:25:51

I got mine (3) in charity shops!

Greyduster Tue 07-Feb-17 11:36:56

I shall be watching this thread because I said to DH that we could do with a few more everyday ones too. Never thought about charity shops!

Ana Tue 07-Feb-17 11:43:34

There are some on Amazon but I'm not sure the sizes are 'real tablespoon' size.

PamelaJ1 Tue 07-Feb-17 11:46:31

You can buy singles of most ranges of cutlery on line. I have a set designed by Lawrence L Bowen and have bought bits and pieces to add to my basic set.

TriciaF Tue 07-Feb-17 11:47:00

I had the same problem, Craftycat. They don't seem to make them any more.
In the end I got some serving spoons from Lakeland. They're slightly bigger than a tablespoon, but do the job well.
www.lakeland.co.uk/14649/Lakeland-Alexandra-Cutlery-2-Stainless-Steel-Serving-Spoons-
I rang them to find out the measurements - can't remember exactly now. Slightly flatter than a tablespoon.
I got 4.

Ana Tue 07-Feb-17 11:48:10

www.amazon.co.uk/d/Cutlery-Spoons/Viners-High-Grade-Stainless-Steel-Harley-Table/B00CDZZ3L6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486467898&sr=8-4&keywords=tablespoon&tag=gransnetforum-21

This one looks nice, although a bit pricey!

Marelli Tue 07-Feb-17 11:54:24

eBay, * Craftycat*? I got 2 from an antique fair (they had my initial on them, so I couldn't not buy them)! They were just a couple of quid, anyway.

Cherrytree59 Tue 07-Feb-17 12:22:02

In Lichfield Staffs there is a factory seconds shop for Arthur Wood Ware
My sister recently visited and bought several single cutlery items.
I expect this not your area but it is possible that there is a factory seconds shop near to you.
I have recently bought cutlery from Ikea. It was boxed but I think if you google Ikea they may sell individual cutlery items.
You could ask your local charity shops to let you know if the get any donated
They may even have odd ones lurking in the back of the shop

Good luck.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 07-Feb-17 12:45:23

Have you seen these in Wilko? Described as serving spoons but might do?

www.wilko.com/cutlery/wilko-best-serving-spoon-stainless-steel/invt/0318907

kittylester Tue 07-Feb-17 12:58:43

John Lewis?

JoyBloggs Tue 07-Feb-17 13:25:07

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-luna-table-spoon/p1648238

This any good? You can 'Click and Collect' from Waitrose if you're near to one.

JoyBloggs Tue 07-Feb-17 13:29:15

Sorry, kitty, I see you'd already suggested JL!

GrandmaMoira Tue 07-Feb-17 13:53:19

They sometimes have a set of 2 in Sainsburys. That's where I got mine. I think you can get them in Dunelm as well.

Teetime Tue 07-Feb-17 15:52:08

Antique and second hand shops often have odd items of cutlery.

shysal Tue 07-Feb-17 16:17:16

There are plenty on Ebay if you search under either table spoon or serving spoon. Check the measurements as some look more like dessert spoons.

wot Tue 07-Feb-17 18:36:19

I got mine on Ebay. I have only one teaspoon which I consider a real teaspoon size and I guard it carefully as I measure my coffee with it! It's quite old and EPNS. I'm always on the look out for more. Charity shops often have a basket of cutlery for about 30pence per item.

Jalima Tue 07-Feb-17 18:38:28

Wilkos?
Do they sell loose cutlery in their shops?

Soupy Tue 07-Feb-17 19:19:50

Our local John Lewis sells individual items of cutlery; I've certainly bought extra teaspoons there.

Polly99 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:32:04

Interesting thread, I have been having the same problem. Good old Woolworths used to be the place. Now I can only find complete sets. Great idea to try charity shops, and will look into the other suggestions.

yogagran Tue 07-Feb-17 19:59:09

I got some in Robert Dyas a year or two ago

f77ms Tue 07-Feb-17 20:02:31

Loads in the charity shop I work in , really nice old ones too . What`s the problem ?

Nelliemoser Wed 08-Feb-17 08:36:21

A tablespoon measure is 15ml.

HootyMcOwlface. I think "serving spoons" do not claim to be a regulated volume. If you need to use it as a measuring device you do need it to be accurate.

Elrel Wed 08-Feb-17 08:50:57

Slightly off thread - does anyone else have Christmas cracker plastic measuring spoons in their kitchen drawer? Surprisingly useful except when the teaspoon is too big to go into the spice jars!
Tiny Christmas cracker screwdrivers are also useful in an emergency! An emergency like finding a new toy needs batteries!

grannypiper Wed 08-Feb-17 09:02:45

craftycat if you are near Wallingford, Pettits sell them or try wilkos