Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mr P has just complained about his dinner, who's right, him or me?

(163 Posts)
phoenix Sun 09-Apr-17 18:45:11

Evening all,

Mr P is currently away from Monday morning until Friday afternoon, with no access to a kitchen and a limited budget for eating out.

So, when he IS home, I try to do reasonably healthy food.

Friday. Sweet chili chicken, bami goreng, small salad on the side.

Saturday. Grilled ribeye steak (on special offer in Lidl) jacket potato, salad.

Sunday. Chicken parcels (a chicken breast, a quality chipolata sausage on top, wrap the whole thing in bacon, bung in dish and roast) roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese (not a whole cauliflower, just cut off a few decent sized florets) leeks, mashed swede, stuffing, a few carrots for me (he's not keen on carrots confused) gravy, of course.

He says I do too many different veg, I disagree!

I prep them all, (apart from the potatoes, somehow we have got into the habit of doing them together, him peeling, me chopping ready for par boiling, while listening to the omnibus edition of the Archers blush )

I feel that he eats some pretty crap food while away, so like to feel that I'm at least giving him something halfway decent when he's at home!

BTW, he did say he enjoyed his meal, just that there was a bit too much. Didn't see anything left on the plate though.........

merlotgran Sun 09-Apr-17 21:01:16

Mr M prepares the veg for Sunday lunch and I cook it and it's the other way round with us. Much as I love fresh vegetables he'd just carry on emptying the fridge if I didn't stop him.

The surplus is handy for soup on a Monday though grin

thatbags Sun 09-Apr-17 21:20:47

At least he didn't come in from an afternoon meeting, watch you put some food in the oven and then tell you, twenty minutes later, that he wouldn't want much because he'd "had something" while out. "Something" was hearty portions of fish and chips.

Sigh!

He didn't get anything this evening and he's eating warmed up food tomorrow.

?????

Charleygirl Sun 09-Apr-17 22:17:01

phoenix Mr.P and I would get along fine because I also do not like parsnips, mince pies, cabbage, trifle and many more. It would be easier to cater for the two of us instead of him on his own. Please let me know your address but judging from other posters you will have a very full house next weekend.

Jalima1108 Sun 09-Apr-17 22:22:11

What time shall we all arrive?

I assume Mr P will be sent down to the chippy grin

Charleygirl Sun 09-Apr-17 22:34:30

Jalima I do not know where phoenix lives but my local chippy is closed on Sundays and closes in my opinion quite early during the week, before 9.30pm.

Mr.P could have a cheese sandwich whilst we enjoy a really good meal. Will wine be served do you think?

Jalima1108 Sun 09-Apr-17 22:56:14

I don't mind BYOB!
Mr P can stay - he could wash up and we could let him have a cheese sandwich afterwards.
Perks of the job.

Hopehope Sun 09-Apr-17 23:47:52

It all sounds very yummy, he should consider himself lucky. I agree with some others on here , you can never have too much veg. I love my veggies . When can i come around for dinner? smile

MawBroon Mon 10-Apr-17 06:42:25

You, of course.
Now, what was the question? grin
Honestly, some men don't know when they are well off

M0nica Mon 10-Apr-17 07:16:18

He is doing the classic male thing. He won't say: Thank you for the meal, but I would prefer to have fewer veg'. He has to make it your fault: 'You do too many veg'.

DH has the same exasperating habit.

Leticia Mon 10-Apr-17 07:22:14

I don't think that you can have too many veg. Smile, nod and ignore.

JackyB Mon 10-Apr-17 07:53:54

Mashed swede is the best veg evs!!!

Mind you, I had to go without it for thirty years as they don't have it in Germany, so maybe I was suffering withdrawal symptoms. If I see it in a shop any time I get it and cook it, but it's never as good as my Mum's!

Christinefrance Mon 10-Apr-17 08:10:05

Me and my family are in a minority then, really love mashed swede, my children would have eaten it with every meal. My husband doesn't like it so as he does the cooking I don't get swede often.
Your meals sound delicious Phoenix, keep the veggies to yourself next time and just give him peas as someone has said.
We had some French neighbours in for dinner and put dishes of veg out for them, the veg remained untouched , they just ate the meat and potato. Think us Brits are almost alone in having several veg on a dinner plate.

Greyduster Mon 10-Apr-17 08:38:55

I hate mashed swede, but DH loves it mashed in with potato (which I am also not keen on). We had it yesterday because he picked up a swede when we were shopping. Not something I ever buy (except on Halloween!). He's another who doesn't like too many veg, but he gets what I give him or he goes hungry!

cornergran Mon 10-Apr-17 08:55:04

phoenix, too many veg? I'd have cooked a couple more green veg, I just love them. Wonder what the reaction to that would have been grin. Sounds a lovely meal, chicken mix sounds good, just take no notice, the grumble will pass. Let him cook next weekend and plot your revenge smile? I was reminded of a time Mr C was working away, staying in a hotel with very good food. After a week with two small boys I was looking forward to a nice adult meal. What was I asked for? Egg and chips. It was a very chilly weekend.

f77ms Mon 10-Apr-17 09:34:49

Sounds very nice to me ! I like to do at least two veg - potatoes don't count ! Don`t know why he would complain , maybe you have spoiled him - my sons never expect their wives to cook so if they do they are very grateful .

trisher Mon 10-Apr-17 10:36:20

Wow I'm impressed by the weekend menu. He doesn't deserve you. Couldn't he just say "thank you, that was lovely"? Next time he cooks give him an honest/critical assessment of his efforts, don't hold back. Alternatively if he doesn't cook serve him a meal with all the trimmings, then just as he starts to eat whip his plate away, remove the veg and hand it back to him with a huge smile and remind him about what he said.

MadMaisie Mon 10-Apr-17 10:36:36

He sounds like a lucky man to me, being provided with delicious, varied meals.

Lewlew Mon 10-Apr-17 11:29:39

Show him this thread... he is so lucky you are a talented and imaginative cook!

We eat more veggies now... and any meat is not larger than the palm part of our hands and half the thickness. No more thick chops and steaks and we are better for it.

Now, what time is Sunday lunch??? I'll bring the wine

CardiffJaguar Mon 10-Apr-17 11:54:26

Try putting out baked beans on toast with a poached egg on top. Plenty in that is good but will the lack of variety get him to comment?

retrolady2 Mon 10-Apr-17 11:58:04

That'll be you hosting the first nationwide Gransnet meet-up then? Seriously, your meals sound lovely to me, certainly better than anything served up in Retrotowers.

Could be worse though ... he could ask for tomato ketchup to cover his veg. Mine did. Once. grin

Meanwhile I put up with accept that he's going to drown everything in gravy!

angelab Mon 10-Apr-17 12:07:32

phoenix please add me to your long guest list for next weekend! - I call myself vegetarian but am happy to skip the chicken parcel and eat everything else !

Daisyboots Mon 10-Apr-17 12:37:45

Your meals sound delicious Phoenix. I like to do a variety of vegetables but DH complains like yours if there is more than two veggies plus potatoes. He says there's too much but he eats it just the same. He said he didn't like swede until I mashed it with carrots. Now he will eat swede on its own. One thing I do insist on is having a green vegetable on the plate. A dinner doesnt look right to me without it. Daft I know.

joannewton46 Mon 10-Apr-17 12:49:11

A friend of ours (male) does all the cooking and ALWAYS has at least 9 veg on the plate. I couldn't eat it regularly - and I certainly wouldn't cook that many - but it makes a nice change.
If he doesn't like it that you spoil him when he's home, give him bacon and eggs every time.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 10-Apr-17 13:19:40

This reminds me of a little exchange between Tom and Barbara in 'The Good Life.' Tom said something like, "If my wife can take the trouble to cook it, I can take the trouble to eat it".
However, it was nettle soup and he then added, "But blimey love, this is horrible!

rubylady Mon 10-Apr-17 13:43:55

My DS was supposed to be cooking over weekend as I'm down with shingles. I ended up living off crisps, pork pie, chocolate and toast! The lazy little devil wouldn't get off his backside to do it. So I'm glad he's gone out today, I will actually get something decent for myself. Lesson - if you want a job done, do it yourself!