Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Does Victoria Beckham deserve an OBE?

(76 Posts)
morethan2 Thu 20-Apr-17 08:03:29

That's it really. My freinds mostly nurses have been having a heated discussion around the British honours system. Most think it's been devalued.

CardiffJaguar Thu 20-Apr-17 11:19:29

No, no and no.

Worlass Thu 20-Apr-17 11:31:37

I couldn't agree more with all above posts. Nothing more to say.

LadyGracie Thu 20-Apr-17 11:40:25

Honoured for riding a bike, rowing a boat, kicking a ball, being a thief!

Coppernob Thu 20-Apr-17 11:41:14

My old boss always used to say that OBEs stood for Other Buggers Efforts. Enough said!

angelab Thu 20-Apr-17 11:41:38

All this vitriol seems a bit OTT. It's because of her fashion designing - Stella McCartney, Ozwald Boateng and Julian MacDonald already have them. Whether they should or not is another matter - but no need to get personal, folks!

Harris27 Thu 20-Apr-17 11:44:51

Makes a mockery of the system!!

adrisco Thu 20-Apr-17 11:45:44

Apparently Mrs Beckham thinks it's a reward for "Her Hard Work" ... No comment!!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 20-Apr-17 11:47:37

As with the honours system, so with life - it's unfair. I know a great woman* who has given a good deal of her time to a very well deserving charity who will probably never get an honour. Sadly that's the way it goes.
*not for want of trying. Have any of you tried to get an honour for someone? It's all a bit 'hush-hush.' I got quite a lot of people to write letters in support of this lady but obviously not quite enough as it's quantity that really helps to sway it.

Grandmama Thu 20-Apr-17 11:56:55

No, VB doesn't deserve an OBE but as tiggypiro said it's reassuring to know she can stand up straight, I thought she had some awful neck problem. Honours should not be given to those who are simply doing their jobs (and for which they are paid) but to those who give of their own time without payment.

paddyann Thu 20-Apr-17 12:01:21

these "honours" are a joke ,as are all titles.No one is better than anyone else and to give them a title so they can act superior to others who work just as hard or harder for far less gain is not something to be applauded .Kings and Queens and knights belong in the middle ages ,not the 21st century

karenc Thu 20-Apr-17 12:04:40

No not at all. The woman is living off her Husbands fame and bringing her children more and more into the spotlight. I admire celebs who keep their private life private!
?

Smithy Thu 20-Apr-17 12:17:21

No most definitely not!!! Her hubby did neither of them any favours by throwing his rattle out if the pram as someone said. The money should be thanks though for them.

Ilovecheese Thu 20-Apr-17 12:35:27

Agree with Paddyann, all these honours are a joke. But if you want to pick on someone why not pick on someone who has their title through inheritance rather than a woman who has actually had a job (o.k., o.k, it was in the spice girls, but still a job.)

maddyone Thu 20-Apr-17 12:36:56

Agree with everyone on here who said she shouldn't get an honour. It's entirely undeserved, she doesn't even design the clothes she puts her name to, she didn't do the necessary training. At least Stella McCartney attended a fashion design course, through I don't see any real reason to honour her either.
In my opinion, the honours system is outraged and misused. I would be happy if it was abolished.

maddyone Thu 20-Apr-17 12:40:04

Outdated, not outraged, though we all might be grin.

Hm999 Thu 20-Apr-17 12:46:10

I am always sad when successful women get publicly slagged off. She is a fine role model for young women. VB also seems to have got an excellent work-life balance.

Pamish Thu 20-Apr-17 13:04:38

I'm told by someone who knows about these things that her designs are very talented. She's not trained in fashion design but is able to put a sketch down that can then be developed by those who can do the maths. So she has the eye, and the creativity, and then it makes zillions from those who can afford to buy them.

I'm also told that in person she is charming and modest. Easy to judge based on tabloid snipes that, as said above, come from jealousy. They are rich. Either we tax them ALL into normal levels or we don't pick on just one.

Me, I just wear the same jeans and tshirts every day.

Iam64 Thu 20-Apr-17 13:09:31

Totally agree HM99. Especially when they're attacked in such personal ways by other women. I know she has wealth but would any of us manage the kind of attacks she's subjected to. Whatever the state of their personal lives V and DB love their children and seem to maintain relationships with extended families. Good luck to them and their children

Cherrytree59 Thu 20-Apr-17 13:22:00

Nowt against VB
But No honour deserved IMHO

Perhaps a CELEB GONG is required.

One suposes they are useful to get a reservation at the Ivy or the Ritz.
Having said that an OBE would trump a CBE for a table bookinggrin

M0nica Thu 20-Apr-17 13:45:27

Why not? She was a member of a successful singing group and is now a successful dress designer.

Plenty of people get similar awards for similar levels of attainment.

Jinty44 Thu 20-Apr-17 13:51:29

I think her work in fashion design probably does merit an OBE. It raises Britain's profile, and when it sells - and it does sell - then the profits come back to Britain. She is an exporter, just like many a manufacturer. The honours system is primarily aimed at those who benefit Britain and its tax coffers, not those who benefit the people of Britain. <cynical>

kitnsimon Thu 20-Apr-17 14:13:37

Definitely not !

Sillynanny65 Thu 20-Apr-17 14:33:19

I agree with rascal, plain & simple NO!

Bluegayn58 Thu 20-Apr-17 14:50:28

In a word, no.

phantom12 Thu 20-Apr-17 15:06:05

Certainly not. If she hadn't got lucky and married David Beckham she would be a nobody. There are other more deserving people around than her.