Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Does Victoria Beckham deserve an OBE?

(76 Posts)
morethan2 Thu 20-Apr-17 08:03:29

That's it really. My freinds mostly nurses have been having a heated discussion around the British honours system. Most think it's been devalued.

minxie Thu 20-Apr-17 15:50:15

She makes skanky clothes at inflated prices, so no not really

grannylyn65 Thu 20-Apr-17 15:55:57

As she's got one, it's academic!!

leeds22 Thu 20-Apr-17 16:09:31

No she doesn't but I imagine many recipients of honours don't either. I think the whole honours thing should be scrapped.

hulahoop Thu 20-Apr-17 16:09:32

No I don't think she is an role model for young girls she is stick thin and always looks miserable but I agree that the whole award system needs looking at a lot who get them aren't deserving most are lucky to be doing a job they enjoy and are well paid .

Marmight Thu 20-Apr-17 16:12:24

No. It makes a mockery of the awards system as do all the other 'lovey' honours. World's going mad

hicaz46 Thu 20-Apr-17 16:16:23

NO - enough said

Victoria08 Thu 20-Apr-17 16:53:26

Yes, what on earth was she wearing in that photo.

Ironically, she doesn't seem th have any fashion sense.

She is too much up here own -- a...e. And no, she doesn't deserve an obe.

railman Thu 20-Apr-17 17:15:32

Well I've decided to award myself an honour - today I removed all the dead daffodils and did some weeding, mowed the lawn, and generally did some garden tidying.

If that doesn't merit a similar honour - I don't know what does!

Surely someone on GN can 'tip the wink' to "the Palace" to let the powers that be know!
wink wink

cheerfullizzy Thu 20-Apr-17 17:19:12

Whether or not Mrs Beckham deserves this Honour...
Shouldn't honour awards be for the truly deserving?
Servicemen losing limbs but carrying on ...charity walks ect....now those are who should truly be honoured,
Don't you think?

Supergrannyknitknit Thu 20-Apr-17 18:59:10

NO,whatever for?

W11girl Thu 20-Apr-17 19:06:52

Absolutely not!

harrigran Thu 20-Apr-17 19:15:27

No, can't imagine who would put her name forward, she is a nobody.

Lilyflower Thu 20-Apr-17 19:46:08

As a business person and a brand in her own right she has made millions for the country through revenue and taxes. I suppose that is what is being honoured - the same as any other business tyro would be.

phoenix Thu 20-Apr-17 19:51:42

And of course don't forget how she managed to wear really high heels while pregnant, to Katherine &Williams wedding. (The same event to which her husband wore his honours medal on the wrong side...............)

acanthus Thu 20-Apr-17 21:40:52

No, no, no. But then how many recipients are actually deserving of awards or titles? It still rankles with me that Denis Thatcher was given an hereditary title, passed on to Mark Thatcher!!!
And did VB actually have her hair done before going to the Palace?

1974cookie Thu 20-Apr-17 21:56:50

I have just heard on the radio of a Man who is running 44 Marathons, in 44 days, and I am sure that the DJ on Radio 2 said that they are all in different countries !!
He is doing it to raise money for Mental Health.
Now THAT person richly deserves an OBE.?

mancgirl Thu 20-Apr-17 22:27:03

I was looking at pictures of Jessica Ennis-Hill who was given an award at the same ceremony. How lovely she looked. Smiling, happy and animated. Compare to Mrs B who thought she had to arrive under cover of a sheet so no one would see her and then posed for photos pouting ridiculously. I know awards are not given for personality but in my opinion JEH deserved hers for all her hard work and being a good role model for young girls.

morethan2 Thu 20-Apr-17 23:25:09

LillyFlower does her business pay taxes here or in the U.S? I'm not sure

Newquay Fri 21-Apr-17 07:23:04

The whole system is just a joke and is in danger of making us into a laughing stock. Time for all these silly titles, kings, queens, lords ( of all sorts) and all the rest to be abolished. It's so sad seeing grown ups parading about looking like they've been in the dressing up box again. Why should anyone be rewarded for doing a job for which they're paid for example?

stillaliveandkicking Fri 21-Apr-17 18:39:48

No but as a previous poster has written, they're pretty meaningless now.

123kitty Fri 21-Apr-17 21:23:22

Lots of spiteful posts.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 21-Apr-17 21:27:40

If you live your life in the media and gain vast income that way then surely you are going to get that. If a person doesn't want such a thing then being quiet and getting on with what you do is the way to go.

People that cry about this or others that protect them are just unrealistic.

Penstemmon Fri 21-Apr-17 22:26:27

It is time to ditch these "honours". They are becoming so ridiculous!

It is well known that many are simply rewards to donors to and/or supporters of political parties.
Those 'ordinary' folk who are nominated by friends, family, colleagues & community for their persistence at work, fund raising, volunteering etc etc. get little kudos ..a page in the local press and an expensive day at the palace. All the national fuss goes on the celebs!

DH got a letter last week from the daughter of someone he knows through work. The letter was asking him to endorse the nomination for an OBE. He strongly suspects it was the mother nominating herself for the OBE but getting her DD to rustle up endorsements!

Deedaa Sat 22-Apr-17 11:03:59

She is no less deserving than all the other rich people who are honoured. And rather more deserving than the Phillip Greens of this world. Karl Largerfeld draws designs for others to construct and no one suggests that he shouldn't be at Chanel.

Penstemmon Sat 22-Apr-17 16:50:55

Many people quietly refuse an "honour" because they do not agree with the system.