Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to call a grandfather?

(113 Posts)
granahoy Wed 26-Apr-17 12:22:45

Hello,
I've fairly recently found out I'm going to be a grandmother so I'm hoping to pop on here to ask all sorts of questions in the coming months from the wise and experienced! While I've decided to go with the name Nonnie (which was my grandmother's name) the new grandfather to be is still debating his. I've found quite a bit on the site about names for grandmothers, but not so much for grandfathers. Grandad is taken (other grandparents) and Grandpa makes him feel too old. What are your other halfs called? Or are there any grandfathers on the forums who could give me some ideas? Thank you!

Back to pram research - what an eye-opener!

Cherrytree59 Wed 26-Apr-17 23:02:48

Congratulations smile
My DC called my Father Gramps

rubysong Wed 26-Apr-17 23:59:53

DH called one of his DGF grandpop.

grannypiper Thu 27-Apr-17 08:37:56

Omi and Pops in this house.

Indinana Thu 27-Apr-17 09:32:53

When my first grandchild was due I wanted to be called Nanty but my DS was having none of it. I was to be called Nana, just as my mother had been and this wasn't open to negotiation. I'm mildly envious of anyone who is allowed to choose their own grandparental monika grin

Penstemmon Thu 27-Apr-17 10:12:13

As I said before DH is generally known as Gaga but younger DGD also refers to him as Gagalagalooga, the other older DGC call him Gargs!

shysal Thu 27-Apr-17 10:15:50

Of course there is GN's own Pompa (who is now Wobblybits).

Shazmo24 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:22:10

My OH is Grandad Border (he put up the border in our DGD's room) & the other Grandfather is Grandad Trumpet (as he plays the trumpet!)

LyndoJojo Thu 27-Apr-17 10:26:31

I am known as Nana and my DH is known as Gangan by the two oldest GDs the younger three call him Gaggy

pamdixon Thu 27-Apr-17 10:26:52

my father was known as grandpop by my children!

inishowen Thu 27-Apr-17 10:29:52

The children often come up with their own words. My grandson calls me granny cat, because we had a cat who has since died. My granddaughter calls my husband granddad, and her other granddad is granddad John. It is something she worked out herself.

00mam00 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:37:06

I didn't want to be variations of granny or nanny so I choose Ooma and my DH was to be Granpa, but first GC could only say Chumpa so that has stuck. A friend of ours, now sadly deceased was known as Bang to his GCs.

meandashy Thu 27-Apr-17 10:37:29

My dd Irish grandfather is granda.
This was helpful as she already had 2 grandads!
What about grandaddy?

HurdyGurdy Thu 27-Apr-17 10:37:47

Our granddaughter couldn't get her tongue around grand-dad, so my husband has always been Guggle!

meandashy Thu 27-Apr-17 10:40:40

My dgd called me 'Obama ' for about 2 yes as she couldn't say grandma! ?

Teddy123 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:44:49

We just ran with the family tradition so it was Grandpa to my Grandma. My DGS often calls me Mummy by mistake .... So sweet.

mynana222 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:45:29

My daughter started calling my dad Grandpops and the name stuck

SillyNanny321 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:45:59

My DGS calls one GF Grandad with Henry (his dog) & GM is Nanny with Henry. I am Silly Nanny as i play silly games with DGS.

dragonfly46 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:46:32

My children always called my dad Granddaddy!

Harebrain Thu 27-Apr-17 10:49:40

As has already been mentioned, whatever you decide, your little one will make their own variation when they start talking. Our first (we have 7) couldn't say 'grandpa' it came out as Bumpa! Naturally it has been taken up by all the others, golfing friends and everyone else! He even has the t-shirt! Enjoy, it is the best relationship ever!

Samie Thu 27-Apr-17 10:50:20

Is it a good idea to plan these things and set your heart on a name for yourself, because when they have a go at saying it, a new name occurs which quite often is nicer, special and unique to you

quizqueen Thu 27-Apr-17 10:50:50

A friend's child mispronounced nanny as 'Nanon' and that has stuck with her, such that the great grandchildren use it and even I still refer to her with that name.
At the nursery where I work we had young twins who referred to their relative as 'white granddad' or 'black granddad' for obvious reasons!

Katekeeprunning Thu 27-Apr-17 10:51:27

Granny & Pappa

Jan51 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:56:54

Our children had 2 lots of grandparents so they were Nanny Connie & Grandad Bill and Nanny Rhona & Grandad Peter. We are Nanny & Grandad to our grandchildren. DG1 other side are welsh so calls them Welsh equivelent. DG2 now has new step grandparents and calls them gran & Grandad.

radicalnan Thu 27-Apr-17 11:03:06

Nain and Teidy are the Welsh for gran and grandad, I am not Welsh my DIL is and oh I do love Tediy, it sums up all those twinkle eyed, well looked after Welsh grandads.

I don't know if it equates to Tidy in Anglish but so many nice grandads are just that.

My dad was Corky when he was a kid and Corky still at 87.

Caro1954 Thu 27-Apr-17 11:04:20

You may not have any choice! I was always going to be Granny and my husband Grandad (the others are Gran and Grandpa so no problem there) but my GD had others ideas for me and it stuck! I just love hearing whatever they call me but think I would have had to draw the line at Nanny (as I'm not Norland trained or a goat and I didn't like mine very much!!). Enjoy your DGC!