Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Names for 'the other granny'.

(53 Posts)
petalmoore Thu 27-Apr-17 17:55:44

I've been enjoying the thread about grandfathers' names, and this has prompted me to ask if any of you refers to his or her opposite number using a particular word. If I mention my son's mother-in-law in conversation, for instance, it would be great to be able to use a specific name, but it doesn't seem to be usual. There is a Hebrew word, but I'm not sure enough of what it is to risk writing it here. If you know it, please remind me. But how many people would understand it? I used to live in NW London, but here in the Scottish Borders I have come across very few Hebrew or Yiddish speakers, in fact none. So how do you refer to these members of your extended family?

narrowboatnan Sun 30-Apr-17 19:24:17

I'm Narrowboat nan, for obvious reasons. My DSILs grandmother is Nanny Pickles because she got in a pickle and had to go into hospital, and DSILs mother is Nanny Bubbles because she entertained our DGC by blowing bubbles for them. My 1st husbands partner is Little Nanny, because she's barely 5ft tall.

Cold Sun 30-Apr-17 22:07:46

The Danes have an easy solution. Mor = mother/Far = father so the 4 grandparents are: mor's mor, mor's far, far's far,far's mor

You don't actually use the 's in Danish - it's mormor, morfar, farmor, farfar - my children had a Danish farmor