Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wedding gift ideas

(39 Posts)
granoffour Thu 04-May-17 10:18:15

I'm going to a wedding at the end of the month. The bride & groom haven't put together a gift list, yet according the the mum they don't want cash but would prefer gifts - unusual I know! They're a youngish couple - late twenties I think - but quite well off. I've got £50 to spend. Help!

annodomini Sun 25-Feb-18 10:39:33

A set of top of the range kitchen knives. Better check if the couple are prone to having rows.

Nonnie Sun 25-Feb-18 10:21:34

Lots of great ideas here but some of them are things you wouldn't want 2 of so perhaps steer clear of those in case someone else gives them.

As they are 'well off' maybe a voucher for something top of the range and then they can choose something for themselves. I agree that the White Company is good and you can get most things in John Lewis although there may be a better option in the place they live.

We have been invited to a wedding of a very young couple who say they want cash. I would far prefer to buy a present and feel they should have given that option but maybe I am simply old fashioned.

Grammaretto Sun 25-Feb-18 10:07:29

Some great ideas to copy! For our own wedding we asked for towels if people wanted an idea but we got so many we still use them almost 50 years on.

A boxed set of coffee cups? I always think of the person who gave them long since he passed on. Give something you like. I feel a voucher is too easy and anonymous and they might lose it.

newnanny Thu 22-Feb-18 13:22:25

You can name a rose bush after a person/occasion and they deliver it to them. If they will have a garden and a bottle of champagne to drink their health to.

Fixitfast Thu 22-Feb-18 13:18:27

What about a beautiful frame to put their wedding picture in? Cheap and very pleasant gift. In addition you can send them one of this- amerricard.com greetings cards.

MarionHalcombe Tue 08-Aug-17 23:26:18

A six month date night subscription to the spicery. It's £44. They get sent the spices to make a three course meal from different countries in the world. www.notonthehighstreet.com/thespicery/product/six-month-date-night-spice-subscription

irtehbom Tue 08-Aug-17 20:46:46

My gran always enjoys receiving makeup from me, found a good top 10 list. Check it out! couplescorner.co.uk/makeup-brush-gift-sets-for-her

Aslemma Sun 07-May-17 15:52:49

I love the idea of something for the garden. If you want something which they could hopefully keep, and move with them over the years, what about a nice cut glass vase or bowl? Those are things which are a bit special and not something they would be likely to buy for themselves. As suggested, towels are always useful, but with things such as cooking equipment the young couple might end up with duplicates.

JackyB Sun 07-May-17 10:48:10

On "themes" - I gave my sister-in-law a themed present last year for Christmas which may be suitable for a young married couple, too: Pasta plates, some unusual pasta, some jars of pesto, and a good chunk of parmesan. You may want to leave the last one off, as, of course, it won't keep as long. However, this was just inspired by one shop we happened to pop into whilst doing our Christmas shopping.

Inspiration may well come your way whilst browsing (shops or internet)...

Tessa101 Sat 06-May-17 23:25:43

John Lewis vouchers

funstr Sat 06-May-17 23:02:00

do they like music events, theater, concerts? a gift card for them to choose would be lovely. i received one as a gift for my wedding, it was presented in a pretty little wooden box. was really pleased. much more personal than another vase or towels.(received many). when attended was thankful for wonderful gift. when husband and self reminisce we remember both the fantastic memories of the event and the giver. the tickets/box were not expensive but showed the person had thought about us. i even still have the box on my dressing table and ticket stubbs.

gulligranny Sat 06-May-17 20:00:01

If they have a garden, perhaps a voucher for a local garden centre so that they can choose something they would really like?When DH and I got married 8 years ago some kind friends did this for us; we chose a lovely silver birch tree which is now very well established and reminds us all the time of a wonderful day.

willa45 Sat 06-May-17 16:48:34

I like to put together 'theme' gifts. One main item then two or three less expensive 'accessories' to go with. Example: for Guest bathroom. Matching dispensers for liquid soap and hand lotion, matching soap dish, A set of fine hand towels, scented candles etc. Arrange items in a decorative basket. Shrink wrap it and attach ribbon and card. Same can be done with kitchen items i.e. small appliance, cook book, dish towels measuring cups, etc. in a decorative basket. Gardening theme: seed packets, decorative pots, coffee table book on gardening, gloves, hand shovels....you got the gist.

Norah Sat 06-May-17 15:33:17

In the £50 range, I would buy a baking crockery or pudding basin.

Glenfinnan Sat 06-May-17 14:51:18

Like the picnic hamper idea Paddyann. I might steal that! smile

Peaseblossom Sat 06-May-17 14:48:02

I certainly wouldn't want white towels and I wouldn't just want bath sheets, I'd want hand towels to match. I have a black and white bathroom so to give a bit of warmth I've got red towels, but unless you know what colour their bathroom is it might be difficult to choose. Do you know they like champagne? Not everyone does, including me. I think the best suggestion was a voucher for a nice meal.

JackyB Sat 06-May-17 14:21:11

In such cases I go for a vase - a plain, average-size glass or white porcelain vase which will go with all flowers and suit all tastes. Then I add a voucher for flowers to fill the vase when they get back from their honeymoon. You could even order the flowers for delivery when they get back, or at a later date, and make a note in the card to look out for the delivery.

But the wine idea is good. Even if they don't drink, they will at some point have people round for dinner and can offer the wine to go with the meal.

nipsmum Sat 06-May-17 13:39:29

Sorry I'm being a bit more practical here. Tefal make a very nice and useful electric grater. I was given one a few years ago and tit is. one of my most used pieces of kitchen equipment. Available within your budget from Amazon.

Crazygrandma2 Sat 06-May-17 12:21:48

Scour Groupon, Living Social and Wowcher. I often get good really special dining out deals in posh restaurants or experiences at very good value.

Brigidsdaughter Sat 06-May-17 11:23:57

Best gift we were given was a pair of binoculars! Not used often but great to have.

Lots lovely ideas here esp the photo book one though sounds a bit of work on the day and the restaurant voucher and the mature plant in a tub.

ShoesieQ Sat 06-May-17 11:17:53

Well I got married last month and we to ask guests not to get us anything (we're in out 50s and been living together forever), but of course no-one took a blind bit of notice grin

I agree that posh white towels are a great idea, as are bottles of fizz (though we did get quite a few of those - not that that's a problem wink). Also Virgin do some great experience days - we'll be having a meal in the Shard and afternoon tea at Harrods thanks to our lovely friends

suzied Sat 06-May-17 11:12:33

A silver photo frame so they can put their favourite wedding picture in it.

glammanana Sat 06-May-17 11:07:54

I have to say large towels are my favourite,the kingsize size from John Lewis or Debenhams/White Company are ideal you can also ask their wrapping department to gift wrap for you,we did this for my friends DD and they where delighted.

David1968 Sat 06-May-17 11:01:09

How about good quality towels, such as a couple of the large cuddly bath sheets in the M&S "Egyptian" range. (Plain & "calm" colours recommended, unless you are very sure of the couple's taste!) This is a gift that would come in just under £50. We gave two of these towels to a couple of friends who married in their fifties - years later they mentioned that they're still using them! (Too many towels can always be put away for the future. And no, I've no link with M&S other than as a customer.)

Yorkshiregel Sat 06-May-17 10:46:26

I HATE wedding and birthday lists. People should be grateful whatever they are given. OK to ask or better still buy something that would be useful, but not what they are likely to have already. What about a photo book of who was at the wedding take your own pictures and send them to snapfish who will put them in to a book for you. They are not likely to have spontaneous photos just official ones. Try and make them fun! OR maybe a cook book plus DVD to go with it. 'James Martin's French Adventure' is brilliant, and current so easy to find in good bookshops. Delicious recipes and great DVD all about travelling around France. We got one each for Christmas! Easy to follow too.