Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New Partner/Old Partner

(56 Posts)
Whatthehellhappened Thu 04-May-17 13:46:21

I apologise in advance for the content of this post but I really need some input and have no-one else I can turn to for such sensitive advice.

About 3 months ago, after lots of dancing around each other, my ex-husband and I decided to give it another go. We were together for 14 years and have been divorced for 13. It has been weird starting a new relationship with someone I know so well but it has made it easier in some respects. But... when we were married, he was always up for sex, and now he's not. He says he loves me (that he never stopped loving me); he says he fancies me (even though I'm heavier than I used to be but then, so is he). He isn't as demonstrative as he used to be and he has admitted that the reason for this is that he thinks it will lead to sex. His issue, he says, is that his sex drive has diminished through lack of use.

I'm not convinced that is the reason - when we used to be in bed he was already 'ready' if you know what I mean. Now, never - and it takes quite a lot of work to get him that way. He says it's because he's old - he's 53! I'm worried that there's a health reason behind it but he refuses to accept that. I don't want to make him anxious about this because I know that will make things worse but I'm worried. Any ideas??

FarNorth Sun 07-May-17 10:07:36

Being "not good with words" and "snapping your head off" sounds like bullying behaviour.

Explain to him that you are genuinely concerned about his health and that he should not react nastily to that.

You may get this problem sorted out, using some of the helpful suggestions here, but don't let him continue to react badly to concerns you might have.

Whatthehellhappened Mon 08-May-17 10:33:26

Thanks again, all of you for your input - biting my head off was actually a stronger term than what happened - he was more defensive than abrasive - he has never ever bullied me, instead he has always been very caring and affectionate. Anyway, there is good news - he has agreed to see a doctor!!

Izabella Mon 08-May-17 11:24:43

Excellent news.

mumofmadboys Mon 08-May-17 11:30:15

That's good. I think it is very hard indeed for men to admit there is a problem and can't perform but it is very common. It could well be a matter of various blood tests which are quite likely to be normal and then a prescription for viagara or such like. I am a retired medic. Wishing you well.

stillaliveandkicking Mon 08-May-17 16:44:25

Hoping the Doctor puts your mind at rest regarding his erectile dysfunction and it's not what I voiced earlier.