Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ambulances - Getting out of their way

(30 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 09-May-17 13:55:45

So....I live on the edge of a large town, on the edge of London which has a large hospital. Hence we have a lot of ambulances tearing along with sirens going. I admit to being a bit jittery as far as getting out of their way. Yesterday I was coming back from babysitting the other side of town descending a hill when one came up right behind me, so I mounted the pavement, as others in front of me did, I didn't do it very well steep kirb and scraped my tyers a little bit. I was relating this to husband, he said "well mounting the kirb is illegal", "yes I know" says I "but needs must and anyway there weren't any pedestrians on the pavement so I didn't kill anyone" he's always telling me not to panic as ambulance drivers are experienced and used to sorting out a clear passage, in my mind I'm thinking, "this could be life and death, every second counts". What is the correct protocol in these situations, for example one woman I read about entered the "forbidden bus lane" and subsequently got a ticket, surely doing that would have been excusable in such circumstance. What do you do or what would you do?

icanhandthemback Thu 11-May-17 22:15:47

You need to move out of the way if it is safe to do so. My husband drove a fire engine for 25 years and he said that people makes things worse than when they panic and stop dead or stop opposite a traffic island or similar. Even emergency vehicles must obey the highway code but provided they don't cause an accident a blind eye is turned if they jump a red light or go into the bus lane. I suspect the same would be the case for motorists getting out of the way of an emergency vehicle as long as they didn't cause an accident.

pollyperkins Fri 12-May-17 09:39:32

Well I am guilty of going through a red light ! a few years ago I was in the middle lane of a difficult junction at a red light when an ambulance, sirens blaring, came uo behind me. Nothing was moving and the ambulance and other cars too were leaning on their horns and glaring at me so eventually i pulled forward so he could get past me. Luckily the lights changed just then so i was able to go. Ive felt guilty ever since but what was i to do? There was nowhere else to go and only I was blocking him.

goldengirl Fri 12-May-17 10:51:52

My first reaction on hearing a siren is that I can hear it but where the hell is it? I don't seem to be able to pinpoint its direction until it comes up behind me in which case I pull over as best as I can. It does make me jittery and takes me back to when my GS was hurtled down to GOS while those in the back were trying to keep him alive. The fact there is someone in the back probably going through hell adds to the panic.

Magrithea Fri 12-May-17 13:02:52

Rule 219 of the Highway code says this:

Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.