Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is my son being naive????

(81 Posts)
Namsnanny Sun 04-Jun-17 19:22:55

This is a strange situation, and one I feel needs a delicate touch.

My son lives in an area of lots of rental properties. There are students, and lots of different nationalities. Drugs and prostitution are associated with the worst streets there. Its often in the local news for some kind of criminal and/or violent trouble.

The other day, when he was parking (you need a permit)he was approached by a young muslim girl who offered him some free parking tickets and asked him back to her house (4 doors away)for a cup of tea. He agreed but when he reached her door had a phone call and had to leave.

Now he thinks she was being friendly and neighbourly and wants to invite her back in return.
He's very open to anyone, and has been known to sit with beggars in the street throughout the night to keep them company.

All I know is that a female wearing traditional head covering, is likely to be religious. Her adoption of that style of clothing showing the world her respectability, and part of being 'respectable' is that women/girls arnt supposed to mix with men unaccompanied are they?
In the mosque the women are separated.
Fathers and brothers dominate their lives, making marriage, financial and other decisions for them, I understand.
So what would her family think?

What if he gets trouble from her male relatives? Why would this girl be so forward as to invite a strange male into her house?

My son thinks only good things of people, and I know he would tell me off if I dared point out my worries to him.

If I lived in the area he does, as a western woman I wouldn't be so foolish as to open my doors to a stranger, so am I wrong to be suspicious? confused

What do you think?

Namsnanny Sun 04-Jun-17 23:05:22

Merlotgran: Who said anything about gullible? Gullible over what?

Who said 'old biddies'? You don't know how old I am.

Seems you've jumped to a few conclusions.

Ahhh sorry no can do, if you want YOU can take your own advice though, and post on ANY thread you choose
.......and yet you come back here!

trisher Sun 04-Jun-17 23:08:54

Mmm. So many anomalies in this post. Firstly the assumption that students live in dodgy areas, as someone living in a city where students are a huge part of the economy I know that isn't true. They tend to live in rather nice areas and are mostly well off. Secondly that areas with lots of different nationalities are also centres for drugs and prostitution and thirdly that a woman with her head covered must be a muslim. And lastly that the woman was able to offer free parking tickets in a parking permit area. I always assumed that parking permits were sold to residents in the street, so presumably the son would already have a permit and the woman would only have the one for her house?
I'd also be very worried about a young man who sits up all night with a beggar 'to keep them company' he is liable to be set upon and beaten by the beggar for interfering with his collecting.

Namsnanny Sun 04-Jun-17 23:14:23

MawBroon: Have you read the other posts on this thread?

MawBroon Sun 04-Jun-17 23:15:43

Why?

Namsnanny Sun 04-Jun-17 23:35:55

trisher: No anomalies at all. Told exactly as experienced.

Yes some of the more expensive areas in my city cater to more wealthy students too, but not all students, in fact very few in my experience, (Ive sent 4 children to uni, and have 6 nieces and nephews all who lived in poorer parts of cities when they were at uni.)So that wasn't an assumption, it is a fact.
There is an on going problem with drug arrests and prostitution in SOME of the streets within this area, also I'm afraid a fact.
The way I described the women wasn't with a head scarf or veil. She was dressed head and body with the traditional outer garment (my apologies for not knowing the correct name)worn by muslim women. This also is a fact.
I didn't say the parking ticket was SOLD. All I know is each house is issued FREE tickets and she offered him her extra ones..fact.
Yes a young man who sits with beggars IS liable to be set upon, that I can agree with.

But your missing the point.

The reason he sat with the beggar was to HELP protect him by being there! Have you met many people begging in the street.....can you categorically vouch that they would ATTACK someone who is spending time with them?

There are a lot of 'anomalies, assumptions, presumptions, and mis representations in your post. It sounds as if you are biased and I wonder why?

Gosh! sorry to say this folks, but its not very welcoming here is it? confused

Namsnanny Sun 04-Jun-17 23:38:46

Whats next I wonder

MawBroon Sun 04-Jun-17 23:46:32

Perhaps people were just trying to find another way of saying his oroposed course of action was bl**dy stupid?

MawBroon Sun 04-Jun-17 23:47:22

Or alternatively that as an adult he can presumably make his own decisions?

MawBroon Sun 04-Jun-17 23:48:04

LSS
Yes, but that's his business.

Namsnanny Sun 04-Jun-17 23:52:20

Hmmmm....name calling.......brilliant!!!!

Namsnanny Mon 05-Jun-17 00:07:19

Anymore for anymore or can things resume in normal fashion?

MawBroon Mon 05-Jun-17 00:09:22

Who is calling who what names?

Namsnanny Mon 05-Jun-17 00:11:46

Back again? Must be enjoying yourself

MawBroon Mon 05-Jun-17 00:13:08

confusedconfused

Namsnanny Mon 05-Jun-17 00:55:06

Back again????.... My flabber is gasted!!!!Ive never been on a forum with such silly behaviour before.

Deeana1 Mon 05-Jun-17 01:27:02

Namsnanny I have no answer to your questions or dilemma, and I'm more of a lurker than a poster here, but may I just welcome you to the forum.

Namsnanny Mon 05-Jun-17 02:19:12

Deeana1: Thanks, nice of you to bother smile

BlueBelle Mon 05-Jun-17 05:51:22

I think you have answered your own question and of course it's all a set up ...either your post is a set up to try and encourage an anti Muslim thread in view of the current situation or your son's new friend is using a set up, of course no young traditional Muslim woman would approach a strange man in the street,and invite them into their home, in fact not any decent Western woman would either unless they were trying to perpetrate a scam or crime.... and you know that, so why ask ?

For someone who has brought their children up in love and peace in fact so much love and peace that an adult man sees no danger in the world you have come across as very aggressive and inflammatory in your replies ...^Back again my flabber is gasted^ You do not sound like an advocate of love and peace yourself, your answers have been over confident ( for a first timer ) and yes very belligerent no humility in your posts

Let's look at the facts just in case you are totally clueless and need to ask strangers about this weird scenario
How would the young lady know your son needed more than one parking space as he already has his parking permission? And why would he respond to that ?
In your original post you say she wore traditional 'head covering' then when Trisha reflected that you changed it to her being covered from head to toe (ummm)
You are definite that you can't change your adult children's minds by discussing with them so what do you want us to do or tell you normallyb the advice would be to talk it over but according to you that's impossible
Why would your son tell you about this encounter? Most adult children who are independent livers don't tell their mums about each encounter with women in their lives especially if they are of a stubborn nature and wouldn't discuss changing any decisions they had made
Lastly if your son is gulliable enough to go into any young unknown woman's (of any culture) house for 'a cup of tea' on his own after a brief encounter in a dodgy area 'full of druggies' he really shouldn't be out in the big wide world and if he's gullible enough to tell his mum and then refuse to discuss it he doesn't sound very full of love and peace and openness

So I m afraid I too find your post strange at best and inflammatory at worst

M0nica Mon 05-Jun-17 06:43:26

Namsnanny Precisely what sort of response did you expect when you made your OP?

Lots of people admiring your wonderfully innocent son? Lots of offering of warm support and admiration for the way you brought your children up?

GN is a forum. You posed a problem and we offered solutions. To most of us your story sounded improbable, it still does, but accepting it at face value we could all immediately see the danger your son was putting himself in and also that any person with any common sense whether they were brought up to love everybody or bop everyone on the nose would have the common sense to see the dangers of this situation.

Look through other threads on Gransnet and you will find posters on GN are full of sympathy, understanding and support for posters faced by sad and difficult problems, but also, if the problem posed by a member is one caused by their own or someone else's foolishness then we will say so. Your dilemma falls into the second category.

kittylester Mon 05-Jun-17 06:47:03

Trip trap!

Nelliemoser Mon 05-Jun-17 07:22:53

Definitely trip trap IMO. With a possible racist agenda waiting to emerge perhaps.

Elegran Mon 05-Jun-17 07:44:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Anya Mon 05-Jun-17 07:50:42

How did the OP know all this? Presumably he son told her?

M0nica Mon 05-Jun-17 08:25:16

Nelliemoser agree about the possibility of a racist agenda. Over the years there have been a number of threads on GN, on a variety of topics that have tried to engender racist responses.

It is to the glory of Gransnet, that they have never been successful.

Stansgran Mon 05-Jun-17 08:32:03

I regularly offer parking tickets to random people who visit. My wealthy neighbour refuses to give parking tickets to her myriad carers and if they overlap and have to park in the street and the warden is on the rounds they get done. op does not say if her son is a carer for someone in that area.