Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

To feel absolutely disgusted by this?

(110 Posts)
phoenix Wed 02-Aug-17 18:38:04

The totally obscene amount of money involved in moving someone who kicks a ball from one team of ball kickers to another?

That amount of money could possibly change the lives of many people in third world countries, provide clean water projects, schools, etc.

I am practically incandescent!

gillybob Fri 04-Aug-17 22:43:33

We have football fields close to our house too Jeanie I love watching Sunday league. Plenty shouting and fast paced excitement but no swearing. It isn't allowed.

Actually I think there are a heck of a lot worse things a little boy/girl/man /woman could do with their time. Far better than vegetating in front of a TV or games console.

angie95 Fri 04-Aug-17 23:12:01

It's a disgrace! When I think of the Police,Nurses,Doctors etc the hours they put in for little money, and yet they give billions away to a bunch of Muppets to kick a flipping bal around a pitch. It's not even played like it was in the 50s60s etc, now they are more concerned on how good they look! It makes my blood boil!

Shirleyw Sat 05-Aug-17 05:46:01

It is obscene the amount of money paid to footballers, especially to our lot......England just about scrapes through getting into the World Cup so they don't deserve much anyway......we are very poor players compared to other countries.....

Rosina Sat 05-Aug-17 11:56:25

The comment that disgusted me most was made by, I think, Jose Mourinho, who said that this wasn't a particularly large sum of money. This attitude is surely deluded, insane, obscene, and any other less than flattering word that you might want to apply. I loathe the whole concept of football for its greed, the terrible example it sets to the young, and the way that bad sportsmanship and appalling behaviour is often ignored because a player is 'so good' and the club want him playing. This has gone on for along time; we are farily tolerant people but we took our son away from a junior football club because some of the parents needed to be put in a straight jacket on match days - he joined a rugby club and the difference was unbelievable.

Rosina Sat 05-Aug-17 11:57:33

Typing in haste, sorry Gransnetters, you can no doubt see that I don't have a career as a proof reader!

123kitty Sat 05-Aug-17 13:23:39

This is hypothetical obviously, but I wouldn't be saying 'no I'm just not worth this salary'. If somebody will pay you are obviously worth it.

Hm999 Sat 05-Aug-17 21:41:20

Holly100 Mo Farah's charity ball spent £82k to raise £108k. When he closed it down, the charity had raised £400k. The tabloid press pick out some facts, with emphasis on 'some'. He trains in US for the training expertise.

ajanela Sun 06-Aug-17 16:02:48

This is about business men not footballers. Whilst fans pay the ticket price, they need the top players to win to satisfy the fans. It is like they are buying a stable of horses. Players are bought and so,d like pieces of property.

ajanela Sun 06-Aug-17 16:10:45

English players do badly in international football because their are not many good enough to play in the top English leagues and get the experience needed to play in International football. Most top teams teams are made up with a majority of foreign playrts. Many other countries have a much better track now no system for training potential good footballs. Look at the number of good footballers Portugal has from a population of 10 million.