Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you rinse ?

(148 Posts)
grannysue05 Fri 15-Sep-17 17:44:20

Yesterday had a dear friend to tea and we decided to wash up by hand as the dishwasher is temporarly out of use.
She said, 'You dry as you know where everything goes in your kitchen, and I'll wash."
She washed in hot soapy suds and put the dishes on the drainer.
I always rinse in hot water.
My friend said this was not necessary, as the suds drain off on the draining board.
Or , if you dry, the suds are cleaned off by the tea towel.
So ...GN's what do you do .... do you RINSE ?

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 20:05:44

Like others, only rinse glassware.
Most goes into the dishwasher anyway.

Christinefrance Fri 15-Sep-17 20:13:22

Always rinse if I'm washing up by hand, clean tea towel every day and disposable wipes as dish cloths, new one every day. I read about cloths and surfaces in the kitchen too. As we have dogs and a cat I am super careful.

Moocow Fri 15-Sep-17 20:13:43

Rinser here! Only don't when v v short on time but even then I find myself retrieving the object to rinse! Always thought how I would love the luxury of a double sink to enable easier rinsing. However now about to have water meter fitted so will probably have to stop.

Maranta Fri 15-Sep-17 20:47:39

Always rinse. Don't like the thought of ingesting detergent!

JoyBloggs Fri 15-Sep-17 21:33:05

I'm another rinser... as advised by the biology teacher more than 50 years ago. The detergent residues are not good for us, she said. One of the few things I remember from those lessons! Maybe it's no longer a problem and I'm wasting my time and water...

GrandmaKT Fri 15-Sep-17 21:49:32

Yes, always rinse when not using a dishwasher. If you don't dishes taste of washing-up liquid.

If I can digress slightly, how do we feel about rinsing before putting dishes in the dishwasher? I never do this and dishes are always perfectly clean. I read somewhere that dishwashers work better if you don't rinse.

JoyBloggs Fri 15-Sep-17 22:18:07

I don't pre-rinse the stuff that goes in the dishwasher unless there is an unusually large amount of 'debris' or burnt-on food. Always comes out sparkling (unless I've forgotten to fill the salt dispenser or the rinse-aid...).

BlueBelle Fri 15-Sep-17 22:55:55

I m amazed I m alive and healthy

grannyactivist Fri 15-Sep-17 23:13:49

I'm a double rinser - both before (so that the washing up water doesn't get too badly grungy) and after so that the detergent is rinsed off. I always have to have the washing up water as hot as my hands can stand it and a clean tea towel for each drying up session, although if it's just my husband and I at home I usually leave dishes to drain.
A recent lodger was from Malaysia and she always washed her things up in tepid/cold water - it used to drive me nuts.

harrigran Fri 15-Sep-17 23:37:27

Rinse, wash, rinse. You can taste the detergent otherwise. Dry immediately. I imagine soap suds left to dry on plates will leave them scarmy.

Grandma2213 Sat 16-Sep-17 01:11:20

I rinse plates with food bits on first to avoid 'bitty' washing up water but not after washing up. Surely if there is washing up liquid on them afterwards you are using too much! I also use a clean tea towel every time. I'm sure I'd rinse first before putting in a dishwasher, if I had one, for the same reason.

kittylester Sat 16-Sep-17 07:51:34

We scrape but don't rinse before using the dishwasher.

jusnoneed Sat 16-Sep-17 08:37:30

I don't have a dish washing machine (never wanted one) so always hand wash dishes. I rinse off any plates that have bits of food left on them but don't rinse after they've been dunked. I rarely dry them either, leave them to drain. I've never noticed taste/smell of washing liquid on them.

Coolgran65 Sat 16-Sep-17 08:43:57

Dishwasher - I scrape but don't rinse beforehand.

Hand washing - I never rinse except for glasses, and I've never been aware of washing up liquid residue. None of our family have ever commented.

Smithy Sat 16-Sep-17 09:00:01

No dish washer (would if I had enough space). Always rinse everything off before washing but not after. Usually leave to drain off unless there's a lot. My dear friend always rinses everything in hot water after washing.

DanniRae Sat 16-Sep-17 09:02:28

We rinse in this house and leave to drain. I put away in the morning. I say 'we' but my husband does the evening washing up as I have cooked (or even if he has cooked) grin

tiredoldwoman Sat 16-Sep-17 09:29:40

I'm a rinser too ! I let them drip dry in the drainer then buff up with a clean cloth after I've wiped down the rest of the kitchen .
My sister lets her dogs lick plates . [ shock]

TerriBull Sat 16-Sep-17 09:50:55

My husband washes plates before he puts them in the diswasher which makes me question the role of the dishwasher confused and when he's loaded, I can't tell whether the contents have been through a cycle or not further confused

JackyB Sat 16-Sep-17 09:55:07

I rub and scrub very thoroughly with a very soapy sponge, then I turn the tap on and rinse even more thoroughly with water as hot as I can bear. I can't believe that there are people who leave the washing up liquid on their plates and cutlery!

starbird Sat 16-Sep-17 10:35:53

I have always rinsed since someone who would know, told me that washing up liquid contains cancer inducing chemicals ( that was about 35 years ago). Also I drain dry rather than using a tea towel (rinsing in very hot water means dishes dry very quickly). As I only drink herbal tea without milk I would taste the soap. I believe dish washers rinse, the manufacturers presumably have a reason for that even though it uses more water?

goldengirl Sat 16-Sep-17 10:43:16

Never thought of it before. No I don't rinse and if I do wash up by hand I always wear rubber gloves. My hands are still wrinkly though sad

Lupatria Sat 16-Sep-17 11:26:27

on the very rare occasions that i do hand washing up the only thing i rinse are 4 glasses - everything else is left to drain.
i scrape plates before they go in the dishwasher - anything which has difficult to remove leftovers like toad in the hole which has stuck gets soaked overnight, scraped and put in the dishwasher.
i seem to be the only one who can stack the dishwasher efficiently though!

merlotgran Sat 16-Sep-17 11:37:20

My dishwasher is my best friend. My worst nightmare happened when the last one broke down in the middle of a family get-together weekend. Everyone pitched in with the washing up but you soon realise how clean, tidy and organised the sink area is when it's only used for food prep.

HurdyGurdy Sat 16-Sep-17 11:45:48

Scrape before putting in the dishwasher, but not rinse.

When I do hand wash, NEVER rinse. I have never smelled or tasted washing up liquid on plates, dishes, cups, glasses, cutlery. Never. Whether that's in my own home or anyone else's.

And if it is dangerous to ingest even tiny amounts of washing up liquid, I would be long dead by now, so I will take that with a pinch of salt.

I sometimes wonder how I am still alive.

Ana Sat 16-Sep-17 11:48:52

I don't care wether it's dangerous or not - I just don't like the taste! grin