Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Your fascinating choice of pseudonames

(72 Posts)
grannysue05 Mon 18-Sep-17 17:48:03

I joined Gransnet earlier this year and as my name is Sue and I am a grandma I used the name granny sue 05(special date for me).
Since then I have been absolutely fascinated by the choices of names that my fellow GN's are using.
The lovely sounding cherrytree and lemongrove; nightowl and exotic serkeen .
The amusing ones like Ilovecheese and chewbacca .
The ladies with strong ideas (great!) like paddyann and durhamjen ......I wait for your simulating comments.
And Imperfect ...surely you are not !
And Maggiemaybe are you ? Or are you not ?
Please share the stories behind the choices.

hildajenniJ Mon 18-Sep-17 20:57:49

Mine is just the first part of my email address. I was lacking in imagination when I joined, and couldn't think of a good user name.

grumppa Mon 18-Sep-17 21:21:55

For some reason (?!) I am known by some family members as the Christmas Grump.

Katek Mon 18-Sep-17 21:58:33

Mine is an abbreviation of my middle name and a random letter! I meant to put a full stop before the end 'k' but forgot!

Charleygirl Mon 18-Sep-17 22:04:05

Mine is the the name of my last gorgeous cat who was male and I added girl to show that I was a female.

cornergran Mon 18-Sep-17 22:09:10

I'm a simple soul, I live on a corner so it describes me perfectly.

Marydoll Mon 18-Sep-17 22:59:58

Mine was my nickname at work. No-one ever used my name, even the Head teacher called me Marydoll or MD.

merlotgran Mon 18-Sep-17 23:01:56

Mine kind of goes without saying wink grin

pensionpat Mon 18-Sep-17 23:09:52

My last job was with The Pension Service. Plus my younger son loved Postman Pat.

paddyann Mon 18-Sep-17 23:36:16

mines simple.my name is Patricia ,my Irish granny used to sing a song to me about a Patricia...there was a line in it..."though her daddy called her Paddy for he hoped she'd be a laddie ,she's as sweet and gentle as a lass can be " so the nickname Paddyann stuck and she called me Paddy all the time.My granny was my hero,a suffragette and a very strong minded woman,thats where the political me comes from

SueDonim Mon 18-Sep-17 23:42:20

My name's a simple pseudonym. smile

Marydoll Mon 18-Sep-17 23:54:54

I have just realised. How clever grin

Chewbacca Tue 19-Sep-17 00:07:46

I'm quite blessed in the hair department! My DS started to call me Chewbacca after a particularly disastrous visit to an ex hairdresser. Plus, I'm a grumpy sod and I can, with little effort, sound like Chewbacca on an off day.

callgirl1 Tue 19-Sep-17 00:22:48

I used to be a telephone operator, back in the days of the GPO. I started out on here as numberplease, but one day GN was temperamental and wouldn`t let me in, so I reinvented myself!

JackyB Tue 19-Sep-17 06:24:16

Although I have inventive names on other sites I just went with my real name, sort of. It's just nice to see Jacky spelt the way I've always spelt it. No one else seems to be able to spell it that way these days. They keep adding 'q's and things.

kittylester Tue 19-Sep-17 07:05:59

Mine is a nickname used by a favourite uncle and a really good friend and my home town (ish).

vampirequeen Tue 19-Sep-17 07:58:31

Mine was invented by a young man I knew online when we were trying to hide me from my ex. Unbeknown to me he had hacked my computer prior to me escaping and knew all the sites I belonged to. When I escaped he joined the sites (often pretending to be a woman) and basically stalked me online. At the time vampirequeen was the furthest away from the real me and we thought it might confuse him.

hmm Funny how you grow into your name after a while...it's far more apt now hmm

Lindylou51 Tue 19-Sep-17 08:08:06

My grandad used to call me Lindylou and 51 is the house number of my childhood home.

Margsus Tue 19-Sep-17 08:09:27

Mine is very unimaginative - just the first syllable of my first and middle names. Boring!

Alima Tue 19-Sep-17 08:16:10

I am always surprised when I see my name on here, sounds far too girly for me. It is simply the first bits of my two forenames back to front. There are some brilliant names on here, some of which I positively covet! Do you fine you get a picture in your mind's eye from some of them? Greyduster always conjures up an image of an American Indian for some reason. Quite why a Native American should have an affinity with dusters I have no idea. Similarly Imperfect27 reminds me of old fashioned typewriters. Why?

Riverwalk Tue 19-Sep-17 08:18:30

I live next to the river and go on regular walks alongside - today's will be a three-hour round trip with a pub lunch half way wine

silverlining48 Tue 19-Sep-17 08:28:35

Mine is to remind myself to always try to look for the silver lining in any situation, dont always succeed, particularly this year, but do my best.

Luckygirl Tue 19-Sep-17 08:30:39

I used to have a name that was a childhood nickname based on Miss + my three initials to form a word - Mishap. I changed it several years ago as I thought it had been "outed" and decided to go from the unfortunate to the jolly! - I thought it might change my fortunes!

silverlining48 Tue 19-Sep-17 08:31:30

Alima are you thinking of imperial typewriters? I trained on an imperial 58 way back when in an inkand revenue typing school and we were taught to the william tell overture, and all had to keep in time....ting! Carriage return. When i listen to the overture am impressed even today,

joannapiano Tue 19-Sep-17 08:37:35

My name isn't Joanna and I no longer have a piano.

Alima Tue 19-Sep-17 09:14:43

Silverlining48, yes, that's why, thank you, how could I have forgotten. Used them in typing lessons in the Wrens. (Managed 23.5 words a minute!).