Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much should I charge?

(32 Posts)
Smurf52 Mon 25-Sep-17 14:15:48

The letting agent for my property employs a plumber to see to their rentals. He came to service my boiler and we got chatting. I told him I have recently retired but miss the buzz of keeping busy at work.

He told me he is dyslexic and once a year he gives his accountant carrier bags of his paperwork to sort out. He asked if I would like to do his paperwork and put his basic accounts in order regularly so his accountant won't charge him extra to do this. He is happy to pay me to do this.

Years ago I used to do my plumber ex husband's accounts using a Simplex accounts book until he moved to Sage and did it himself so I am familiar with this.

My dilemma is how much to charge him by the hour? Does anyone also do this sort of thing and how much do you charge?

gillybob Wed 27-Sep-17 15:45:51

Exactly maryeliza54 it really annoys me when some people assume that because a tradesperson charges (say)£40 per hour that is what they are getting. When they have tax, National insurance, vehicle costs, vehicle insurance, vehicle tax, fuel, liability insurances and crikey knows what else........the list is endless.... to pay out, before they see a penny of it.

PamelaJ1 Wed 27-Sep-17 16:00:30

Seems to me that the Plummer just wants someone to get his books in order before giving them to the accountant.
Then the accountant will do what he has been trained to do.
Smurf52, from what I understand, has no qualifications in this field apart from the experience of doing the book keeping for her husband.
I'm not suggesting that you won't be good at sorting him out and preparing his accounts but, if it were me, I would be very happy with £15/ hr.
Actually I wouldn't be happy at all! I can't bear doing my paperwork never mind someone else's mess. Still if it floats your boat....

maryeliza54 Wed 27-Sep-17 16:01:33

And the other thing, a lot of the overheads are fixed costs so if they have a dip in jobs, their income per hour is disproportionately less (iyswim)

123kitty Wed 27-Sep-17 16:54:32

It sounds as tho you are keen on this job, I agree- don't undervalued your services, but don't price yourself so high that you lose this opportunity.

phoenix Wed 27-Sep-17 17:24:36

Our accountant does the annual stuff, each month I reconcile everything (receipts, invoices etc) against the bank statements and put them all together in punched pockets marked with the relevant month and bung in a lever arch file.

Then when it goes to the accountant, it is fairly easy for her to go through.

grannyticktock Wed 27-Sep-17 21:37:30

Gadabout Gran: Being dyslexic doesn't mean he isn't also lazy - people can be both, without these necessarily being linked, or either one without the other. If he hasn't got an official diagnosis and support, then I suppose it comes to much the same thing from the OP's point of view: she has to make sense of a chaotic bundle of papers.

This work isn't all profit - the assistant/bookkeeper may also have to pay tax and NI, and supply materials such as a storage and work space, print cartridges, stationery etc. This needs to be factored in to the hourly rate.